Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

This is where I’m at too tbh. 

We matched Aberdeen for the most part and should have been out of sight against Utd on Saturday- two of the ‘better’ teams in the league. Even last night we looked half decent right up until Killie scored.

We look badly lacking in confidence but we were still competitive and didn’t look a million miles away. Scraping a win from somewhere plus a shrewd signing or two in January would have made all the difference imho. It’s certainly a far cry from where we were when he took over from McGhee- who lost his last 4 games by an aggregate score of 17-2.

However, last night he had a look of a beaten man about him. All managers have a shelf life, maybe he’s been down this road once too often and doesn’t have the fight left in him to turn it round again. If that’s the case, fair play to him for stepping aside. 

As has already been said, he’s done a fantastic job overall and although it might have been time, I’m still saddened to see him go. 

Maybe I'm just bitter about the result but you didn't match Aberdeen. Motherwell were happy to play for a point (nothing wrong with that) and we struggled to break you down. That's before noting Main missed a sitter minutes in to the game.

Am I the only one the thinks Tommy Wright is a DUP voting dinosaur?

As for the usual suspects, Simo Valakari took charge of KuPS in November so he's not gonna be in the running unless he has a hankering for Muirhouse.

Luc Nijholt will no doubt pop up somewhere. I dunno what he is up to. 

Remember the Accies game where we huffed and puffed for 90 minutes, not scoring, before giving away a daft goal at the other end and losing the game? 
Well, that's happened a lot this season. 
No, I just remember David Turnbull v Ryan Fulton.

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

This is where I’m at too tbh. 

We matched Aberdeen for the most part and should have been out of sight against Utd on Saturday- two of the ‘better’ teams in the league. Even last night we looked half decent right up until Killie scored.

We look badly lacking in confidence but we were still competitive and didn’t look a million miles away. Scraping a win from somewhere plus a shrewd signing or two in January would have made all the difference imho. It’s certainly a far cry from where we were when he took over from McGhee- who lost his last 4 games by an aggregate score of 17-2.

However, last night he had a look of a beaten man about him. All managers have a shelf life, maybe he’s been down this road once too often and doesn’t have the fight left in him to turn it round again. If that’s the case, fair play to him for stepping aside. 

As has already been said, he’s done a fantastic job overall and although it might have been time, I’m still saddened to see him go. 

Agree with all of this, but also, for all the 'should have/could have', we didn't. We've had a bunch of chances to turn things around over the last couple of months and at no point have we really managed it. 

Could well be proved wrong in May, but to me, this is best for all involved. 

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I heard he's playing upfront on Saturday

Gotta love a manager wi the confidence to hand a debut to a player in their first game in charge. 

Especially when it's themselves. 

I really didn't see this coming as I thought he had enough credit with the board to be given the January transfer window (I'm sure Chic Young said before the game we have two new players being announced on Saturday). He's done really well in the past but 2020 was certainly sacking form (6 league wins all year) and it looks as though he's ran out of ideas or the confidence that he can turn it around. At least he's then been man enough to walk rather than holding out for a pay-off when he takes us further down.

We've had a number of games with the same issues and the first half last night was just another example of us looking ok, making a few half-chances which we don't take, losing a soft goal and then never looking like getting back into it. It's happened numerous times this season and he's obviously not getting a response out of the team so time to move on.

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

100% agree, but with the 'talent pool' of out of work managers available within our budget, who are willing to work to the remit of the job - (the constant buying/selling and subsequent annual rebuild, aka 'the model'), I think the board will have him on their radar. 

It would be back to basics under a regime where no shite would be taken. 

Functional and uninspiring football maybe, but functional and uninspiring football that could scrape us to safety. I'd probably take that right now tbh. 

I'm surprised to see Robinson resign as I didn't expect him to walk but fair play to him for realising that it was time to go.

He certainly leaves with my best wishes. Things clearly weren't working and hadn't been for a while but he's a good man who did a lot of good for us, not least the feel good factor he instilled in season 2017/18 after the apathy and depression that was McGhees second tenure. The two Cup runs were very enjoyable and even though the football wasn't great that season, the team battled for everything and seemed to love playing for the club. 

As for his replacement, the board really need to make the right call here and under absolutely no circumstances should Keith Lasley be given the job on any sort of permanent basis, be that on an 18 month contract or until the end of the season. Such an appointment would only ensure more of the same as we've seen so far this season.

14 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

No-one mentioned Mitchell van der Gaag? If nothing else, it's a chance for @capt_oats to show the goal.

Aye - if we can all agree not to mention random 'Well players of the past, i think it would be best.

In saying that, is it really a co-incidence that @Franz Resch popped up on this thread the day before Robinson resigned? I think not.

19 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't care if he's the b*****d love child of Ian Paisley and Margaret Thatcher, if he came in and done a job for us I'd be happy with him. I don't think he'll be our next manager but we could certainly do alot worse.