Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Completely unrelated to anything I'd ask folks opinions on Jordan Archer. I know he never had much of a chance and I reckon he's away in 4 days. I though he looked decent enough.

Maybe not enough to judge him on. Or maybe folk paid more attention than me can tell me otherwise. 

I presume Fox will be available at some point in the next few months so we are over heavy in keepers so need to get rid of the one that is easiest to get rid of.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I was wondering about this as well - it crossed my mind when I saw Chapman on the bench rather than him. I'd happily have him stick around but I doubt he'd be up for playing 2nd fiddle to Carson.

IMO it was a pretty tough gig - parachuted in after the window closed having not actually played a competitive game in the best part of a year.

I thought he was largely fine, I don't think he had anywhere near the sort of mistakes you saw in the YouTube video that got folk wringing their hands and had the gammons of Millwall seething.

I miss Craig Samson...

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

I hadn’t seen that, excellent compilation 

It's the first video that comes up when you search his name on YouTube. Unfortunately for him.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

I presume Fox will be available at some point in the next few months so we are over heavy in keepers so need to get rid of the one that is easiest to get rid of.

The OS still has Fox out until summer (June 2021) although the interview with Hinchliffe the club put out hinted that Fox thought he might be back sooner.

Ultimately Archer's a first team 'keeper (certainly for a club at our level) and we've brought him in to take Carson's place while he was injured. Which made total sense. 

If Carson's fit again that would seem to be that as I don't see us paying two first team goalkeeper's wages as we were doing with Gillespie/Carson.

oh aye Archer is defo off.

I did think he'd be the best back up option but I hadn't seen the compilation either. Some of them were wild!

Edit: I am assuming he has a deal to jan? I thought I read that somewhere. 

Edited by Busta Nut

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

oh aye Archer is defo off.

I did think he'd be the best back up option but I hadn't seen the compilation either. Some of them were wild!

Edit: I am assuming he has a deal to jan? I thought I read that somewhere. 

Aye, it was announced as a short term deal.

Jordan Archer has joined on a short-term deal until the January window.

The 27-year-old Scotland international goalkeeper has been drafted in following a knee injury to Trevor Carson which will keep the Northern Irishman out of action for several months.

Link

This might sound weird or masochistic, but I actually felt quite pleased with us at the end of the game yesterday. It was a strange feeling again to actually feel aggrieved by the outcome of the match. Most weeks I’ve felt we’ve deserved everything we got, but the fact that we had chances and got into goalscoring positions was a step in the right direction for me.

I was, like many others, baffled by the substitutions. I imagine Cornelius will be a good player for us in time, but his first appearance in 18 months shouldn’t have come with the game in the balance.

Once we find a partner for Watt there might be something in this 3-5-2.

I’m not sure Archer did a lot wrong but for some reason I just felt so much more comfortable with Trev back in yesterday.

Like others have said, I was happy with the performance yesterday. Unfortunately, a young laddie made a mistake getting caught on the ball and we got punished. I've seen enough over the last two games to say we'll be alright. We've been on a shitty run for the majority of this year, but I've got a feeling we'll win our next two against Killie & Accies and be absolutely fine for the rest of the season. 

I'll happily settle for mid-table pish season.

Big White receiving some negativity in the comments on a post on the 'fishal Facebook page, so his mrs has very nobly jumped in there to defend him - only to call out the wrong guy .

Nothing major, but if your man's a striker who hasn't scored all season, surely you've got to expect it, and have thick enough skin to take it, as unpleasant as it may be to read. 

13 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Big White receiving some negativity in the comments on a post on the 'fishal Facebook page, so his mrs has very nobly jumped in there to defend him - only to call out the wrong guy .

Nothing major, but if your man's a striker who hasn't scored all season, surely you've got to expect it, and have thick enough skin to take it, as unpleasant as it may be to read. 

White shouldn’t be getting flack for yesterday but he shouldn’t have been on the pitch in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Let's be fair, anyone posting in the comments on Facebook is a fucking moron by definition anyway.

It's an odd thing to say that we played well. We created enough chances to win about 3 games but, again, we're at the mercy of our completely toothless strikers. Ultimately the loss came down to some utterly abysmal game management from the players on the park as much as the coaching staff. For what it's worth I don't think Jordan White done anything wrong the other night, he just shouldn't have been on the pitch. He's rank rotten and instead of having Lang to run with the ball and give us that out ball we were hitting it into corners for White to try and do something with. He'll leave in January having never scored a goal for us because he's just a shit Alex Fisher.  Similarly Cornelius came on in midfield and looked like a completely lost boy. I am absolutely all for us giving him game time as, from listening to Mo Ross, it sounds like we have high hopes for him. However I am very much not in favour of giving him a run out in what is effectively a must win game for us. Simply put if we bring on Cole & Maguire and play in the same manner as we were doing I reckon we see that out. 

We also then have SOD running the length of the park in injury time and with time & space proceeds to hit a woeful shot, rather than running to the corner flag to play shithouse football for a couple of minutes to see the game out. 

It's an absolute shitshow right now. Can't wait until the official Twitter account puts out their inspirational quote of the week and my head explodes off my shoulders and disappears into orbit. 

Edited by well fan for life

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It's an absolute shitshow right now. Can't wait until the official Twitter account puts out their inspirational quote of the week and my head explodes off my shoulders and disappears into orbit. 

It will whet your appetite for Wednesday and we will go again 

19 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I liked the "we can climb the table with a win" bit.

We can go from 9th to 8th :lol:

I mean, he's not wrong...:lol:

Anyway, I see Robinson's talking about "expecting to get some players in" during this window and we're "pushing on with those in the next couple of days".

Also talking about Carson adding a vocal presence and that we're a "very, very quiet side" - which is interesting (IMO) given we moved Hartley on in the summer, a player who was, if nothing else, very vocal.

Spoiler

Given Lang's confirmed as being away back to Wigan I take it at least one of the players we're looking to bring in will be a striker. Sort of related but I wonder how long we've known that Wigan would be planning to recall him and whether that's changed our plans any.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't want to come across as a raging Facebook da' (though I probably will) but is anyone getting more and more pissed off with the majority our social media updates?

We get the "live, laugh, love" pish every week after the inevitable rotten result while today we've got "our winter wonderland" with some pictures of Fir Park in the snow and I think it's pushed me over the edge.

Our recent form plus the lack of "proper" fitba could be getting to me and I'm probably ranting about nothing. Please feel free to call me out if that's the case but it feels like we've left a 15 year old lassie in charge of our social media recently.

16 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I don't want to come across as a raging Facebook da' (though I probably will) but is anyone getting more and more pissed off with the majority our social media updates?

We get the "live, laugh, love" pish every week after the inevitable rotten result while today we've got "our winter wonderland" with some pictures of Fir Park in the snow and I think it's pushed me over the edge.

Our recent form plus the lack of "proper" fitba could be getting to me and I'm probably ranting about nothing. Please feel free to call me out if that's the case but it feels like we've left a 15 year old lassie in charge of our social media recently.

I think there's something in that. It's not quite pushed me over the edge but there's a lot of it doesn't quite hit right. You can probably extrapolate that out into the whole idea that this iteration of the team lacks a bit of an identity as well.

I've a fair amount of sympathy in so much as trying to manage #content through a relatively poor run of form is going to be a pretty thankless task at the best of timed but during a period where there's just not a lot going on generally it kind of feels like we've already committed to the "positivity" bit so here's some vanilla #content.

Edited by capt_oats

24 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Come on now!

The "live, laugh, love" remark makes me chuckle. But actually, the line that goes out by and large actually comes from what someone is saying in the associated video. It's not taken from some self-help book...

Our job is to reflect what the feeling in the club is. That's what we're doing. I get that might contradict how people feel.

I get it may be frustrating just now. But don't take it out on staff. Of course what we do can always be better. But everything being done is earnest.

Edited by GrantRussell