Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We're so pessimistic about Rangers, maybe quite rightly as we're baws against them. I don't care or think it matters what their last result was. We always shite the bed v them.

Yet every time we lose a cup tie we seem to play the massive what if game. "That would have been our draw", "What a chance we'd have now" as if we are world beaters that stumbled on this occasion despite us losing to jobbers on our level on an almost constant basis.

I always wonder how folk end up going from one end of the stick to the other in 30 mins.

Much as last nights result was fun, and fair play to St Mirren, it’s depressing to read their fans celebrating a victory against Sevco, looking forward to a cup semi, and being excited by their team as it improves game by game.

We, on the other hand, can’t score, are leaking goals, can’t buy a win and are a shambles at the minute, with no prospect whatsoever of beating either of the Old Firm anytime soon. The 6 free points were a good laugh but without them we’d be in trouble. 

The reality is that when Rangers are motoring along nicely and Celtic are stumbling about - it makes the pain of Celtic fans that much greater and vice versa. 

Our Barometer as it were is how teams with a similar or lower budget are performing. So to see Hamilton beating us regularly as well as St Johnstone and St Mirren. Then to see the same teams beat the old firm to get the opportunity to win a cup that we last won 70 years ago. It makes our current form that much worse. Or it does for me. 

I know it should not but my mood (especially this year of all years) is greatly affected by how my team are doing. We have had good times even recently and finishing 3rd and competing in Europe was the positive side. I sincerely hope once we get our humping out of the way this weekend that we get our sh1t together and start to look like a football team that know how to play the game with a little more luck thrown in. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Saw the result from last night and have stuck a tenner on Rangers -4. It's not my usual style but we're going to get pumped on Saturday so I might as well make some money from it.

Me too as well as a goal to be scored in first ten minutes ! 

I sort of wonder, if much like how Hibs and Dundee United got about 50% more than anyone else did for average players for years, the Seedorf thing is down to English clubs assuming Motherwell+Winger=Good?

I mean in the last decade or so, we've seen Murphy, Humphrey, Ojamaa, Johnson, Cadden, Hastie, Gboly and Scott get decent moves after nominally playing out wide for us. I can sort of see that leading to a lazy perspective amongst English journalists and clubs that we're some sort of finishing school for raw wingers.

30 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I sort of wonder, if much like how Hibs and Dundee United got about 50% more than anyone else did for average players for years, the Seedorf thing is down to English clubs assuming Motherwell+Winger=Good?

I mean in the last decade or so, we've seen Murphy, Humphrey, Ojamaa, Johnson, Cadden, Hastie, Gboly and Scott get decent moves after nominally playing out wide for us. I can sort of see that leading to a lazy perspective amongst English journalists and clubs that we're some sort of finishing school for raw wingers.

Tbh, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if someone was willing to take a chance on him for precisely the same reason we did - he's absolutely fucking rapid.

It's a cliche but you can't coach someone to be fast.

Presumably the bold Sherwin would be available for a fairly nominal cost. 

Thinking back to Beneghan, Sheffield United saw enough about him to take a punt at £350k which relative to his performances with us was a decent wedge but to them was probably a solid enough investment for a player with some raw attributes and some tools to develop. What fucked him was that they ended up a Premier League side that season.

By all accounts he went on to have a more than decent loan spell at Blackpool in L1 (shortlisted for their POTY) - had United ended up cutting about the lower half of the Championship he'd probably have been a decent value pick up for them.

Would it be that much of a surprise if there were clubs who took a look at Seedorf and saw his pace as being enough to take a punt?

Edited by capt_oats

I just hope we revert back to line-up similar to our "Hammer thrower" era. The way that we have played the past few seasons has been very ineffective when combating the old firm sides this season. 

We are only 6 points above 10th now so every potential point should atleast be fought for and not given up like the Rangers game at Fir Park this season.

I have no idea what the best team for the Rangers game would be (I lack the skills and knowledge to play football manager on the easiest difficulty). Carson will still be out until January at the earliest and defensive wise there is not much of a worse choice than Lamie who might start if O'hara and others are still injured. Upfront there is really no striking threat that I can see apart from Watt, but we will be lucky to get 1 or 2 shots against them.

I'm being a bit pessimistic, and I would be even worse if we hadn't gotten the 6 points for forfeits, but we are still 5th. There is a good chance that will provide a European conference place for next season and it is entirely within our grasp. All we need to do is get through December with as much positive results as possible and then get the squad sorted in January. Back to back European qualification and a potential run in the Scottish Cup would certainly brighten up what has been a "Meh" to disappointing season.

I met a boy I used to work with, a St Mirren fan.  He couldn’t get straight in his mind if he wanted to give me stick about Saturday or revel in last night’s game.  We found common ground in debating whether we were about to face a wounded animal or if indeed St Mirren had broken them and they were there for the taking. Can only hope.

Edited by ropy

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

I met a boy I used to work with, a St Mirren fan.  He couldn’t get straight in his mind if he wanted to give me stick about Saturday or revel in last night’s game.  We found common ground in debating whether we were about to face a wounded animal or if indeed St Mirren had broken them and they were there for the taking. Can only hope.

I honestly think I hate St Mirren more than any club outside the obvious two. I'm a pretty placid, level headed guy I feel but something about them absolutely fucking rattles me.   

Still had a wee jump in the living room last night, mind.

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I have no idea what the best team for the Rangers game would be (I lack the skills and knowledge to play football manager on the easiest difficulty). Carson will still be out until January at the earliest and defensive wise there is not much of a worse choice than Lamie who might start if O'hara and others are still injured. Upfront there is really no striking threat that I can see apart from Watt, but we will be lucky to get 1 or 2 shots against them.

I mean, Cole scored against them at Ibrox in the 2-1 last season. So that's something.

Personally I'd go:

Archer
O'Hara Mugabi Gallagher
O'Donnell Campbell Crawford Polworth McGinley
Lang
Cole (or Watt...whatevs)

I honestly think I hate St Mirren more than any club outside the obvious two. I'm a pretty placid, level headed guy I feel but something about them absolutely fucking rattles me.   

The only clubs I’d say I actually physically despise are Rangers and Celtic but in no particular order I’d throw in Airdrie, Hearts and Hibs as well. Nevertheless I’ll back all 3 of them when they play either side of the OF.

St Mirren would have to join the likes of Hamilton and Kilmarnock as clubs that I don’t like but ain’t really bothered enough to get worked up about them.

I too have a weird dislike for them, I think it stems to them being probably a very similar club to Motherwell in terms of size and proximity to Glasgow but in my life time they've been a yoyo team at best and spent most of my younger years in Division 1 but when they came up they always were our bogey team and fans had a weird sense of entitlement for a team who, like I say, have generally been bottom of the league fodder when they were on the Premier league and sacked their most successful manager for years because he only finished 8th in the league.

That and captain sensible on here back in the day.