Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, dezz said:

My guess would be that it’s Ousmane Fanè, who seems to have been hanging around and training with us for a number of weeks now.

Possibly, but from reading Robinson's comments it seems we're trying to get these pre-contracts done early to avoid having to compete with other teams. So you're probably looking at players who are likely to have other options and a bit of profile?

Due to the circumstances with Fané (he's not kicked a ball in a year) I'm not sure that's the case with him. I'm all for us signing him as he looks great value but he's a free agent and I don't think there's necessarily the same urgency to get that one over the line. Certainly not in the same way as there seems to have been with Gallagher and Polworth.

It could be anyone tbqh, take your pick: Scottish Premiership, Scottish Championship, EFL 1, EFL 2

Edited by capt_oats

Possibly, but from reading Robinson's comments it seems we're trying to get these pre-contracts done early to avoid having to compete with other teams. So you're probably looking at players who are likely to have other options and a bit of profile?
Due to the circumstances with Fané (he's not kicked a ball in a year) I'm not sure that's the case with him. I'm all for us signing him as he looks great value but he's a free agent and I don't think there's necessarily the same urgency to get that one over the line. Certainly not in the same way as there seems to have been with Gallagher and Polworth.
It could be anyone tbqh, take your pick: Scottish Premiership, Scottish Championship, EFL 1, EFL 2
I'd take Shankland out of that list but he'll have much more lucrative offers and it's likely to be someone much more underwhelming.

Yea fair comment. We need to move quick to get anyone who may have other interest secured as we’ll no doubt get outbid on wages.

I didn’t realise Fanè hadn’t kicked a ball for over a year. Sounds like a similar situation to big Charlie Dunne when he joined. From the video you posted he does look great value.. arms and legs everywhere and very partial to a Cruyff turn.

32 minutes ago, dezz said:

Yea fair comment. We need to move quick to get anyone who may have other interest secured as we’ll no doubt get outbid on wages.

I didn’t realise Fanè hadn’t kicked a ball for over a year. Sounds like a similar situation to big Charlie Dunne when he joined. From the video you posted he does look great value.. arms and legs everywhere and very partial to a Cruyff turn.

Aye. He was out for four months  with a broken leg and dislocated ankle at the start of this season but he had already been frozen out after a fall out with the oddball chairman at Oldham which meant he was training on his own so this entire season's been a write off for him.

And then there is the case of Ousmane Fane. Fane, an energetic midfielder signed from Kidderminster in 2016, was called to see the chairman following 'disciplinary issues' and told to stay away from the club with two games left to save the season. Lemsagam claims this move was made with the backing of manager Richie Wellens, who told him that he did not need the player. 

Fane had previously played in 46 games. Without him, Oldham could only muster two draws and their departure from a division they had occupied since 1997 was confirmed with Thompson's goal.

Daily Heil

Going by the date on this Tweet he left Oldham mid-March.

Also, he gives a shout out to Robinson in the Insta screen-grab so I'm guessing there's enough of a relationship between the two for there to be a quid pro quo. As you say, it definitely echoes Charlie Dunne arriving at the club.

There's a summary of him here when he was linked with Birmingham and tbh this absolutely gets my vote:

Is there any player he reminds you of that the fans might relate to?

Harriers officials were saying he was like Patrick Vieira when he first came in. Fans initially smirked at the suggestion, but although Fane is unlikely to win a World Cup any time soon, the comparisons were valid, albeit on a lesser scale.

He’s a lanky ball winner and he’s not afraid to put his foot in. It’s quite surprising to see a young, foreign player come over here and compete physically but Fane has done. Last season he picked up five bookings, which proved he wasn't afraid to get stuck in. He’s comfortable on the ball, too. He’s got an eye for a pass.

Edited by capt_oats

On 19/04/2019 at 12:40, Desp said:

I, for one, am stunned he was out injured after playing a few games.

Seems like big George is fit again. He came on a sub with 30 mins to go and really put himself about; best performance I've seen from him.

He still runs like Bambi on Ice but the ball was sticking to him for a change, and he was a big part in us getting in front and staying there to the end.

Credit where it's due and all that...

10 hours ago, Swello said:

My main problem with us signing Fane will be the people 6 months later who think they are the first to make a "fanny" joke.

I swear I still hear someone make a ‘should have went to specsavers’ joke about a referee every couple of months. 

Solid gold banter, pal, it’s been about 20 years. 

I acknowledge this is totally steaming Steelmen Online-esque could do a job talk, but I wonder if we'd take Jamie Murphy in summer.  He'll probably be behind  Candeias, Jones + several others (possibly Hastie, Kent etc) whereas we're losing literally all our wingers and strikers. Assume he's looking to stay in Scotland too given he's  just  moved up.

f**k getting a player fit for Rangers though.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

It entirely passed me by yesterday but that was Danny Johnson patched from the match day squad (again).

I know Robinson was public about wanting to get the #YoungMotherwell boys involved but it seems notable that Sammon (who's clearly on his way back to Hearts) got the spot on the bench.

Putting 2+2 together I think we can safely say that's Main definitely away as well.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I acknowledge this is totally steaming Steelmen Online-esque could do a job talk, but I wonder if we'd take Jamie Murphy in summer.  He'll probably be behind  Candeias, Jones + several others (possibly Hastie, Kent etc) whereas we're losing literally all our wingers and strikers. Assume he's looking to stay in Scotland too given he's  just  moved up.

f**k getting a player fit for Rangers though.

Nah, you've had too much.