Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As far as the Reserve league goes the ex-pros who were cheerleading and giving it all the "didn't do me any harm" type patter had f**k all idea what they were talking about. It's that simple.

You mean that U20's-only is better than Reserves?

Not sure what it's like now - but my memory of seeing old-school reserve games when I was younger was watching disinterested first team players strolling through uncompetitive games and a few young boys chucked in.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

You mean that U20's-only is better than Reserves?

Not sure what it's like now - but my memory of seeing old-school reserve games when I was younger was watching disinterested first team players strolling through uncompetitive games and a few young boys chucked in.

Nah, not in a qualitative sense more that certain ex-pros didn't seem to realise that the Dev league actually allowed for a lot of the aspects they were moaning about ie: the Dev league allowed for 4 or 5 (I can't remember which) overage players and your ex-players were surprised when that was pointed out to them when they were giving it "they'll benefit from playing against experienced pros".

There was never really any consideration given to the fact that (anecdotally) there seem to be a fairly decent number of players coming through the Academy system and finding themselves getting first team games at teams across the leagues.

I've not been to any games since the switch to the Reserves but the handling of it seems to have been an absolute shitshow compared with the Dev league. The fixtures seem to be infrequent and tucked away at 2pm on a Monday/Tuesday with (some) fixtures being fulfilled in training grounds.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Craigan was very anti-Reserve League when it was announced.  Calling out a few of these ex-pros that were "all for it" 

Motherwell U20's/Reserves have played 6 or 7 so games in 3 years worth the time and money of having a team.  And I wouldn't blame anyone jacking that pish.  

That's a good point actually and I read a quote recently from Craigan saying none of the coaches or players were asked about their thoughts switching back to reserves it seemed to be this is what's happening and just had to deal with it.

Craigan leaving and taking his push for Colt sides in the league system is a huge boost for Scottish football, hopefully he finds a job managing in the lower tiers and re-evaluates his opinion on the whole thing.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Craigan leaving and taking his push for Colt sides in the league system is a huge boost for Scottish football, hopefully he finds a job managing in the lower tiers and re-evaluates his opinion on the whole thing.

he just thinks the reserve league is fucking pointless.

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

he just thinks the reserve league is fucking pointless.

And I'm in full agreement with that, he was also pushing for your involvement in Colt sides, though.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

And I'm in full agreement with that, he was also pushing for your involvement in Colt sides, though.

Yeah I know. It's not my idea of how things should be done but a massive part of the reason he quit was due to how shite the reserve league is.

Having said that if somehow only MFC and the OF ended up with "Colt" teams. I'd love the seethe. I think it's a non starter due to the costs for us anyway.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think it's a non starter due to the costs for us anyway.

Exactly why Craigans pushing for it to happen was bizarre and harmful, as it clearly wouldn't be helping Motherwell. 

What the f**k are we playing at?

I am not anywhere near shouting for Robinson's head but if he were to leave I would be happy.
We don't have a fucking clue what we're doing. If punt and chase doesn't work we are fucked.

Robbo seems as though he has no game plan.

Our strikers are rotten, we have no wide midfielders, the ones we were played as wing backs anyway.

Very few of the games have been enjoyable and I think only about twice we have performed well.

It's fucking tiresome.

It sure is tiresome. 

Every now and then we perform v Rangers at home, Celtic at home, Aberdeen at home.  The players have it in them to do much better than what we saw today. St Mirren were there for the taking and did not offer much yet we still went and lost the game. 

We must be the most inconsistent side in the league. We follow up a win with a dire display and follow that up with a win. That would probably be enough to keep us up, but after that display today you get a feeling we are more likely to start following up a dire display with yet another dire display and so on. Then we will be well and truly in the mire. 

The battling team from last season seems to have disappeared altogether. 

I would have taken a coupe of wins from the 3 games as long as the loss did not come at Accies. But that readily just put a shit lot of pressure on the team and Manager. Play like that and Killie will stroll to 3 points. 

26 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

What the f**k are we playing at?

I am not anywhere near shouting for Robinson's head but if he were to leave I would be happy.
We don't have a fucking clue what we're doing. If punt and chase doesn't work we are fucked.

Robbo seems as though he has no game plan.

Our strikers are rotten, we have no wide midfielders, the ones we were played as wing backs anyway.

Very few of the games have been enjoyable and I think only about twice we have performed well.

It's fucking tiresome.

Absolutely. 

Watching us this season is a fucking chore. Couple of massive games coming up, but tbh I actually cannot be arsed. 

Wednesday could quite possibly be the first time my season ticket has deliberately not been utilised, as a Boxing Day all dayer holds far more appeal than sitting in the cold watching us meekly surrendering 3pts to Killie. 

Relying on a couple of academy products to lead the way every week is dire stuff and shows the so called senior pro's up for the sub-standard shite they actually are. 

Get Robinson and 99% of this absolute gang in the fucking sea. 

In hindsight A goalless draw would have been a good result. When we rolled the dice and brought Bigi on it was an absolute shambles for about 5 minutes which culminated in the goal. Nobody had a fucking clue what they were doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we had an attacking throw in at that substitution and about half the team spent an age discussing the tactical changes 50 yards away from the play at the half way line. McHugh's face had WTF? written all over it. Up until that point it was totally comfortable. While we never looked much like scoring they were even worse. And passing the ball about the back when we had 5 lumps up the park and no-one in midfield was properly bewildering.

2 shots on target today, 1 shot on target at Livingston, 0 shots on target at Celtic Park, 2 shots on target v Celtic at Fir Park, 1 shot on target at Ibrox. 

Went fucking wild at Tynecastle with 4 shots on target (no goals though).

To put that into some perspective, the team immediately above us in the league had 1 less shot on target today against Livingston than we have in 6 of our recent matches.

Imagine watching 9 hours of dismal hoofball to get 9 shots on target.  1 every 60 minutes.

Oh, wait, I don't have to, I've actually done that.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

10 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

In hindsight A goalless draw would have been a good result. When we rolled the dice and brought Bigi on it was an absolute shambles for about 5 minutes which culminated in the goal. Nobody had a fucking clue what they were doing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we had an attacking throw in at that substitution and about half the team spent an age discussing the tactical changes 50 yards away from the play at the half way line. McHugh's face had WTF? written all over it. Up until that point it was totally comfortable. While we never looked much like scoring they were even worse. And passing the ball about the back when we had 5 lumps up the park and no-one in midfield was properly bewildering.

Aye, didn't get that at all. He hooks Bigi midweek and has another dig at him for not doing his job, yet he's the first sub on yesterday and almost immediately we lose a goal through Bigi's man running off him again.

Then to chuck on Bowman and Sammon so that we had four strikers on the park at the end but nobody out wide to actually put the ball into the box for them was just baffling. The fact he took off Tait, who's about the only one who can actually deliver a decent cross and instead kept Grimshaw and Dunne on the park was equally perplexing. Never thought I'd see myself yearning for Elliot Frear but if ever there was a game where we needed an injection of pace and width it was yesterday. 

Yesterday was nothing new though, it's pretty much par for the course for what we've seen at Fir Park this season the Rangers and Aberdeen games aside. As @Desp alluded to in the Celtic thread though, it does seem like the tide is definitely turning on Robinson with the fall out from every defeat and calls for his head getting louder and louder. I've never jumped on the 'Robinson out' bandwagon but yesterday was as probably as close as I've been.

The one thing we had going for us was that we were better than the bottom two, based on yesterday's evidence I'm not so sure that's actually even true anymore. We are a poor, poor side and the quality of what we were watching is as poor as it's been for a long time. 

Edited by Casagolda

With Ross County and Inverness out the league I decided to go to every match this season.  It's not been great.

But after this week having watched 3 hours of the worst football imaginable with 2 shots registered on goal I'm a broken man.

I can't be the only one with a deep fear of our New Year match with Accies at NDP.

We seem to say it all the time but we need a performance against Kilmarnock.  I don't even really care about the results at this point.  I'll take defeat on the chin for every match if they are geared towards our players playing football.  You know passing, moving, shooting.  Like what you see on TV highlights of the Chinese 2nd division.

But right now I wake up at night with the sweats from nightmares of a spinning yellow ball high in a mauve floodlit sky.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!