Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Aye, is that the third game in a row he’s been nowhere to be seen? Surely one for the bin in January.

Noticed also after being largely an unused sub the last few weeks, Bigi only lasted the first half tonight before being hooked along with Bowman. You wonder if they’re another two who are running out of chances under Robinson.

Was it not after a midweek defeat at Ibrox about this time last year Robinson went on a rant about ‘I keep giving people chances and now it’s time for change’?

Wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out with something similar tonight.

Edited by Casagolda

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Aye, is that the third game in a row he’s been nowhere to be seen? Surely one for the bin in January.

Noticed also after being largely an unused sub the last few weeks, Bigi only lasted the first half tonight before being hooked along with Bowman. You wonder if they’re another two who are running out of chances under Robinson.

Was it not after a midweek defeat at Ibrox about this time last year Robinson went on a rant about ‘I keep giving people chances and now it’s time for change’?

Wouldn’t be surprised if he comes out with something similar tonight.

Aye. The quote's below.

"When you get chances at Ibrox, you need to take them," Robinson said.

"Louis Moult is a big miss right now. We have needed other players to step up and they haven't done that. You live and die by what you do at the top end.

"I'm now looking for two players in January and we have targets that we are speaking to. The run of results is not good enough."

Link

We obviously got shot of Fisher and brought in Main & Nadir (and missed out on Shay McCartan on deadline day)  but did Bowman not also pick up an injury at our Thunderdome training camp that essentially meant he was injured for the rest of the transfer window as well so he was effectively ruled out of any possible move had there been interest?

I know we extended his deal (and kb'd an offer from Grimsby) but Robinson never really seems to have been convinced by big Herbalife.

He dug him out after the ICT game on the final day of the 16/17 season when he celebrated that pen and he was quite blunt about his form after the LC semi-final.

“I spoke to Ryan not long after that semi-final and told him: ‘You are a waste of time to me’.

“A Ryan Bowman ten per cent down is no good to me.

“He returned to his best against Ross County last week and was excellent. He won every header and scored.

“THAT’S the Ryan Bowman I want. We can’t take Ryan’s physical element out of it."

Link (spoiler it's The Sun)

Edit: in other news I see George Newell's da's taken the Wrexham assistant manager job....hmmmmm.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:
If Jake Hastie is a winger, at what point does he fit into our team?

He can play up front and left mid as well. He’s more of a wide forward than an out and out winger.

He’d fit into the "subbed on after 60 mins" role (instead of Elliot Frear).

Edit: We've played with a back 4 a bit more often this season. Having Hastie around would mean we wouldn't necessarily be limited to going with a diamond. He'd fit in a 442, 451 and a 433. You'd be able to fit him in as one of the forwards in a 3412.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. The quote's below.

Link

We obviously got shot of Fisher and brought in Main & Nadir (and missed out on Shay McCartan on deadline day)  but did Bowman not also pick up an injury at our Thunderdome training camp that essentially meant he was injured for the rest of the transfer window as well so he was effectively ruled out of any possible move had there been interest?

I know we extended his deal (and kb'd an offer from Grimsby) but Robinson never really seems to have been convinced by big Herbalife.

He dug him out after the ICT game on the final day of the 16/17 season when he celebrated that pen and he was quite blunt about his form after the LC semi-final.

Link (spoiler it's The Sun)

Edit: in other news I see George Newell's da's taken the Wrexham assistant manager job....hmmmmm.

I think this is all pretty bang on. Although I don't know who in their right mind would chuck a bid in for Bowman as he's one of the worst footballers I've ever seen. 

Fucking hell, George Newell. What a wage thief!

Quite mild actually from Robinson post match, did manage to get a wee dig in though;

“The substitutions I made were tactical and performance related. You have to do your job, you have to do go with the runners.”

Only briefly saw the goals, definitely looked like Bowman switched off for the first(was he actually playing left wing?). Horrendous challenge by Dunne for the penalty as well, no wonder he was pissed off- Two fairly avoidable goals.

Interesting to read this. I kind of just assumed we'd promote McManus.

“Following Stephen’s departure, and following feedback from him, coaching staff and others in the academy, the club intends to complete a review of the development pathway for 18 to 21 year olds at the club, prior to appointing a replacement.”

Given pretty much everyone on the coaching staff bar Robinson had a playing career with Motherwell (Lasley, Craigan, McManus, Hammell, Clarkson etc) it'll be interesting to see if we go for someone who doesn't have a particular affiliation with the club or if we just end up giving Faddy a job to run alongside his Scotland role...

31 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Just putting it out there wondering if Motherwell are now cooling their interest in Motherwell Colts.  Craigan has been a huge backer as he knows, correctly, Reserve and Youth football leagues suck.  

The push for colt teams in the leagues always failed in many logical ways. I know Craigan was pushing for it but even the initial proposals were only for 4 teams which we definitely would not be part of.  Then if the trial is extended to somehting like 8 colt teams, and they are all playing in the same league, isn't that functionally the same as a reserve league?  Then are teams getting promoted and how high in the leagues can they go?

This is going to go the exact same way as Project Brave where everyone agrees in principle that colt teams should play in the league but will get pissed off if they aren't one of the chosen few.

Craigan perhaps has a better, higher paying, job lined up. And with BT Sport ending their Scottish football coverage after next season he needs the security.

Craigan got the job in 2015.

By my count we've had the following debuts for the first team from the u20s under his watch:

• Ben Hall (19 appearances 1 goal)
  • Dylan Mackin (3 appearances)
  • David Ferguson (18 appearances)
  • Jack McMillan (16 appearances)
  • Jake Hastie (3 appearances)
  • Adam Livingstone (3 appearances)
  • Barry Maguire (5 appearances)
  • Shea Gordon (3 appearances)
  • Allan Campbell (63 appearances 4 goals)
  • Ross MacLean (19 appearances 1 goal)
  • David Turnbull (14 appearances 3 goals)
  • Liam Brown (1 appearance)
  • James Scott (3 appearances)

13 players. 2 of them are now established first team players.

Edited by capt_oats

Bit of a shiter Craigan leaving - I always got the impression that he was a perfect fit for the job he was in and so, it's going to be a difficult job to replace. 

To be honest, I always thought Craigan had cracked the post-playing career stuff and so it makes me more surprised. Lots of players get one shot at coaching/management soon after they finish playing and then they are out the game at the top level. Craggs managed to get the TV gig along with a job with the academy setup that (you'd imagine) would be his as long as he wanted it and so had a wee bit of job security that's better than most. Given that BT Sport is down the pan in Scottish Football, it makes this more surprising unless he has a decent gig lined up somewhere already (which is totally fine by the way - we all do the same in normal life).

On the colts stuff - at the AGM, the impression was strongly that despite being interested, it's a non-starter financially - and that may well enter Craggs' thinking...

Spoiler

glasgow_scotland_april_16_stephen_craiga

Edited by Swello

What I've seen of the reserves and the togetherness that appears to exist among those involved is clearly down in a big part to Crags. 

I think it'll be a real challenge to replace him, I wonder whether the restructuring will see us promote from within.

I had an interesting conversation last week where I was told about the St Johnstone (6-1) game, where the team changed quite late on due to requests from Robinson to give the injured and fringe players some game time.  That could have been a bit difficult for some of the younger lads to deal with, but Craigan seemingly dealt with it brilliantly.

The Irn Bru Cup games have shown there's certainly talent in the youth ranks, hopefully the progress continues with whoever takes up the post.  It's never nice to see someone who has represented the club like he has leave, but going on the interview he does seem to feel that the time is right, he certainly leaves as a MFC legend in my eyes.

Gutted to see Craigan go but it seems a fairly natural move for him. I'd be keen to see him get a senior job somewhere. I honestly think he would do as good a job as any, if you were a player in the dressing room he is sort of guy you would want to play for. Still think we will see him as our first team manager at some point in the future.

Interesting comments from him on the Reserve league. It's funny. Everyone in the media and former players appeared to be pushing for the league a few years back but from what Craigan said it still has the same pitfalls which seen the league disbanded a while back. History repeating itself essentially.

It's hindsight and all that but when you listen back to some of Craigan's recent post-match interviews after wins you can kind of hear a hint of what he's getting at in the interview that went up last night.

As far as the Reserve league goes the ex-pros who were cheerleading and giving it all the "didn't do me any harm" type patter had f**k all idea what they were talking about. It's that simple.