Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Back to Moult, it's a hard no from me. I was in the no camp last summer, but I must admit I got taken in by the nostalgia and romance of him coming back once it happened.

Sadly, he looked perfectly able when he was on the pitch, but the two moments for me that cement my stance are when we played Celtic and Van Veen got injured at half time, but we had to bring Shields on because Moult couldn't manage a full half and the fact that he's not kicked a single ball since his solitary start broke him.

It would be different if he'd went away and played after he'd left us, but he hasn't. If we are signing someone as a backup, I'd rather we signed someone who could come in for that player if they were playing badly, not come on for them with 15 minutes to go.

He seems like a top man and was a special player for us first time round, so it's gutting for him this is how it's turned out, but we need to let this one go.

When you think of it we've signed/loaned in some amount of players never to see much or any of them (injuries aside). Surely nobody in the SPFL can beat us? I get a few of them were punts but off the top of my head:

Kasper Sloth

Josh Morris

Mich'el Parker

Darragh O'Connor

Olly Cranckshaw

Harry Smith

There was another guy I think we signed one January maybe 3/4 windows ago and he never showed up, can't remember his name

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

There was another guy I think we signed one January maybe 3/4 windows ago and he never showed up, can't remember his name

Eddie Nolan?

4 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Luca Belic? That may be too long ago. Maybe Eddie Nolan, although there was video of him eating his lunch at FP, so he turned up for at least a day

Aye. Eddie Nolan is sat next to Kelly here so he made it into the building at least once.

Screenshot2023-06-08at09_04_21.thumb.png.3a0e4ba245e7c59c0e492f5d117429dc.png

I mean, Nolan and Belic are the OGs but if the game here is players we signed that we saw little of - regardless of injury or circumstance - you can add these to the list:

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Are we all forgetting competition winner #1 and #2 Esteban casagolada and the unwritable, unpronounceable Lithuanian winger?

I mean, Petravicius made 14 appearances albeit that only translated to 354 mins. I think my cut off was if they made it to double figures on the park.

He also has a Scottish Cup and League Cup runners up medals.

Some boi.

Victor Nirennold's tackle in injury time v Hearts last season, where he launched the Hearts boy into about Row P of the East Stand, was one for the ages.

A cult hero in my book.

Ellis Plummer's appearance was up in Dingwall in the League Cup wasn't it?  Pretty sure he was our first ever '4th sub'.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

Victor Nirennold's tackle in injury time v Hearts last season, where he launched the Hearts boy into about Row P of the East Stand, was one for the ages.

A cult hero in my book.

I was absolutely up to my eyeballs with covid watching that on stream. Genuinely got me up off the couch when he put that tackle in. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, Petravicius made 14 appearances albeit that only translated to 354 mins. I think my cut off was if they made it to double figures on the park.

He also has a Scottish Cup and League Cup runners up medals.

Some boi.

Of all the minor insignificant things that annoy me, Petravicius being on the bench for that Scottish Cup final rather than Ross McLean is right up there.

37 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I was absolutely up to my eyeballs with covid watching that on stream. Genuinely got me up off the couch when he put that tackle in. 

I loved it as well. 

I find it great that a guy signed basically so we can play 11 v 11 at training was so mentally on it that when he got the chance of 'achieving' something he was ready and went through that last 50-50 like his life depended on it.

VN maybe a shite professional but hat-tip to his professionalism!

Not fitting with @capt_oats double figures criteria, but Martin Grehan is a memorable one for me in that he moved to us from the juniors. Something like 31 goals in 30 games with Dundonald Bluebell and he managed 5 minutes with us. Went on to have a decent seven or eight years in league one and two though. 

It's also some helpful perspective on my own footballing abilities. When that player shows up at 7s who "used to play junior", they're always fucking solid and stand out an absolute mile. Translate that to me vs even a lower league semi-pro and the gulf will be absolutely laughable. It's easy to forget that even the guys that didn't make it at the level of Motherwell are still, relative to yer average guy kicking a ball about at powerleague, very good footballers. 

Edited by CoF

12 minutes ago, CoF said:

Not fitting with @capt_oats double figures criteria, but Martin Grehan is a memorable one for me in that he moved to us from the juniors. Something like 31 goals in 30 games with Dundonald Bluebell and he managed 5 minutes with us. Went on to have a decent seven or eight years in league one and two though. 

He actually fits with the criteria I had in my head when I threw those names together :)

If they only made single figure appearances then I think they fit the discussion. Double figures over the course of a season felt like enough of a contribution IMO.

HARRI KAMPMANNS SIGNINGS SEASON 98-99

Holm Kraska was one for the ages - one of the Tractor Boys and billed as "ex Borussia Dortmund" (I think he played for their U15's. Once) - never seen again after the tractor was put away.

Edited by Swello