Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I have a really specific memory of being the exact opposite ahead of the playoffs for some reason. I watched the Rangers Hibs game at my mums (that's who I go to games with), and after it had finished and we knew it would be Rangers I went to the kitchen to put the kettle on. Her fridge is right at the kitchen door that goes into the livingroom and I remember standing at it getting the milk out and said to her...."I just have this weird feeling that we're not going to just win, but absolutely thump them".

Had absolutely nothing to base it on whatsoever, I mean...we had showed nothing that season to suggest we were capable, but I just felt like it was on the cards for no real reason at all.

I was as surprised as anyone when it actually happened though!

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Chick Young went on a deliciously bitter rant about the fact we were celebrating it "like we'd won something"

Dunno what he’s on about. We qualified for the final then won the final. A glorious season. 

Aye, I was saying I would have taken a 1-0 defeat at Ibrox beforehand.

Scenes during the game, but the late Rangers goal had slight alarm bells.

When Zaliukas missed the aforementioned chance at Fir Park I relaxed a bit and thought that was that.

I might have told this story on here before, but on the day of the first leg of the playoffs I had to go back to work that night.. As I was on the Subway and it got to Partick, the platform on the other side was full of Rangers fans. End to end. All with their scarves up, all singing, all acting broadly the way you'd expect. By the time I got home they were down 3-0. I enjoyed the thought of them all being absolutely miserable.

With them not updating us on the likes of SOD, Efford and McGinn signing on again, do you think they will remember the rest or we just to wait for Pre-Season training and any photos to guess who's there.  

Also - wasn't there a news article on Matty Connolly signing on?  Did I dream that?  If so what a fucked up thing to dream.  

3 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Does that mean there’s zero chance of Furlong returning? 

Not entirely, I don't think. He's performed well in his first stint in first team football and I imagine there'll be a few teams interested in him. He'll have options for sure, but I don't think we'll be the worst one. If his heads screwed on he might forego chasing the money straight away and opt to stay where he's likely to get a continued run at first team football with an eye to a better move later.

Here's hoping anyway.

24 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's one of the most bizarre retained lists I've seen...why on earth announce things like that?

It's absolutely nuts.

I mean, Corey O'Donnell and Jake Carroll are already on the PFA's list of available players.

https://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability-list/

Fwiw, this was last season's and it's pretty straightforward.

Screenshot2023-05-31at12_54_01.thumb.png.8044f0f1609403154a81adfd94005c48.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2022/05/20/end-of-2021-22-squad-update/

My take on that retained list was as expected, the biggest job for Kettlewell will be moving on players who aren't out of contract. 

We seem to have extended the deals of O'Donnell, McGinn, Mahon and Efford on the fly. I'm guessing that O'Donnell and McGinn were activated by clauses, hence no official announcement. With Efford, I'm assuming we are either doing the right thing, or Kettlewell thinks there is a player there.

With the out of contract players, I reckon we have offered Cornelius and Johnston deals (which they've no intention of signing) to protect our compensation rights. Beyond that, I see Goss and Casey being offered deals, which I think there's more chance of Goss signing than Casey. 

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

image.png.9c7863fc532e5744a3d1e44ddc763d01.png

Oh glorious day

Can only assume this announcement will take precedence over the playoff win for the ‘On This Day’ tweet this time next year. Look forward to it. 

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Also, I reckon the list is just to let us know that Morris is gone.

They built up to it though. I respect them for building the tension.

We've had some mental dealings in contracts in the last few years. Would be good if we could mutual a few of the diddies. Shields has proven for both us and QP that he's not good enough and I don't even need to get in to any detail about Maguire.

As for the list of folk who could get a new contract Johnston's probably already away so you'd want to keep Casey, Goss and Deano. Get the rest hunted.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

I have a really specific memory of being the exact opposite ahead of the playoffs for some reason. I watched the Rangers Hibs game at my mums (that's who I go to games with), and after it had finished and we knew it would be Rangers I went to the kitchen to put the kettle on. Her fridge is right at the kitchen door that goes into the livingroom and I remember standing at it getting the milk out and said to her...."I just have this weird feeling that we're not going to just win, but absolutely thump them".

Had absolutely nothing to base it on whatsoever, I mean...we had showed nothing that season to suggest we were capable, but I just felt like it was on the cards for no real reason at all.

I was as surprised as anyone when it actually happened though!

After Scott McDonald signed in late February, we actually had a decent enough record of 18 points from 12 games and we had handed out a couple of doings to Accies and St. Mirren and got a few other decent results. We were down there because of our form under McCall and that spell Baraclough had where we won one point in eight games. That gave me a bit of encouragement that we had enough ability to do it. What did concern me was playing Rangers at Ibrox in the first leg. However bad Rangers may have been, the Ibrox hoodoo was hanging over us and given I'd watched the probably the best Motherwell team I've seen lose there to Sandaza & co in Division 3, I was sure that would play a part.

I actually think the XI that played the play-offs was a strong enough team, but bizzarely enough, the only twice we fielded that exact XI was in the two legs of the playoffs.

McDonald, Pearson and Johnson were bascially the three signings that saved our season and whilst McDonald was ever present, it seemed like we were often missing one of the other two.

24 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

My take on that retained list was as expected, the biggest job for Kettlewell will be moving on players who aren't out of contract. 

We seem to have extended the deals of O'Donnell, McGinn, Mahon and Efford on the fly. I'm guessing that O'Donnell and McGinn were activated by clauses, hence no official announcement. With Efford, I'm assuming we are either doing the right thing, or Kettlewell thinks there is a player there.

With the out of contract players, I reckon we have offered Cornelius and Johnston deals (which they've no intention of signing) to protect our compensation rights. Beyond that, I see Goss and Casey being offered deals, which I think there's more chance of Goss signing than Casey. 

I think there's also a chance some of those deals could have been done under the previous regime. McGinn fair enough, Mahon he'll be buttons, Efford a lot hangs on that purple patch, SOD is good value corporately but he's had more bad games in C&A than good, but yeah how he's used/sytems yadda yadda etc..

Still a lot of bit part players in a quite bloated squad. Final role of the dice fo Maguire and Shields or seaside leagues for them.

But as far as lists go, it offer littles tangible information.

Edited by Kapowzer

54 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

With Efford, I'm assuming we are either doing the right thing, or Kettlewell thinks there is a player there.

According to the recently updated website, his new deal runs to May 24. So it seems a bit more than just a Tanner/Dunne style short term extension. 

But aye, it’s certainly a strange way of going about things. Giving 3 senior players extensions but not saying anything publicly and then publishing a list of a dozen or so other players who may or may not have been offered something

In any case, I don’t envisage many if any of the others on that list to be at Fir Park next season. 

Edited by Casagolda