Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, ropy said:

He won the yellow card league 

Some small consolation there. Sean Goss not too far behind him either in 3rd place.

Strangely, despite this, and factoring in KVV's liking for an unnecessary yellow, we're WAY down the red card league this season, which Hearts won at a canter. 

image.png.1317fe4b4a793882b39b22515a339342.png

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

f**k Jim Goodwin, f**k Tony Watt,  and f**k Dundee Utd.

I mean, I'm extremely here for the schadenfreude but also, in my alternate timeline, Goodwin absolutely relegates us so it's probably just as well he seems to have thought we were a lost cause. :lol:

He was right in that we were unsavable if he took over. He has shown twice this season that he he's adept at sending teams on a downward trajectory, and hopeless at setting up a defence. He absolutely would have had butcher in midfield and Lamie in a back four.

11 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

There will no doubt be time for more sober reflections but the three months of SK have been incredibly enjoyable - and the development from being solid and winning to actually playing a bit of football occasionally, if not all the time.

It's worth pointing out we usually manage to build on strong Jan-May spells the next season and the last time we had to replace a 25-league-goal striker we actually finished second...

Bizarrely I'm very calm about losing KVV and much more concerned about keeping Casey, Butcher not being out long-term and us being able to shuffle some in contract guys out the door to make space on the wage bill.

If those three things fall well for us we'll be fine next season (midtable - no promises of more!). If not, we're potentially in for another long haul as much - similar to KVV - I suspect SK has stumbled across a career spell and this magic simply can't go on.

From what I am hearing Butcher will be out long term as his tendon needs an op. Certainly not before November/December but then its purely third hand info.

Edited by Well Well

7 hours ago, Casagolda said:

We didn’t concede a goal in the 3 and a bit games Butcher played post split. The game and a half he missed we conceded 3 goals, I think that says it all. 

On contracts, McGinn was in the media this morning talking about coming back for the pre-season training camp in Holland. So I can only assume he’s got something sorted as well. 

As a general rule of thumb though, if the seasons ended and the contract remains unsigned then to my mind that means they’re basically away. So I’m already counting Casey, Goss, Cornelius and Johnston as all gone. 

With Kev almost certain to be sold as well, that’s a lot of quality leaving in the summer. Basically half of Kettlewell’s regular first picks out the door. Meanwhile the likes of Shields, Morris, Maguire, McGinley etc are all still contracted for another season.

I don’t envy Kettlewell, he’s going to have some amount of wheeling and dealing to do this summer. 

Agree with that although as you say about McGinn talking about pre-season along with ML1's premier empire biscuit maker announcing he's here for another year - it seems like there are a few have either had options taken up or deals extended on the QT, which is kind of unusual for us.

That said, I'd imagine if Casey, Goss, Cornelius and Johnston had re-signed then we'd have made it known.

I've mentioned Goss before in so much as it's felt, to me, like what we're getting at the moment is Peak Goss. There's always a feeling that he could revert back to the mean - I'd have thought that in this vein of form he'd want to cash in and trade up.

Absolutely fair play to him - he's been fucking brilliant to a level I don't think any of us saw coming even when he was in his first purple patch under Grezza when he was holding our midfield together.

Genuinely curious to see what direction Ketts goes though - it's a very weird rebuild given the way the contract situations land.

You should punt Goss for the crime of a pass that couldve set up van Veen for this 30th goal.

Captain One Foot strikes again.

32 minutes ago, Well Well said:

From what I am hearing Butcher will be out long term as his tendon needs an op. Certainly not before November/December but then its purely third hand info.

That gives me the fear, a new record for the new season.

26 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is there any economic equation where instead of selling Van Veen for, say, £1M, we bump his wages up for the next two years and we have a one million pound striker at the club

To keep this simple: no 🙂

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You should punt Goss for the crime of a pass that couldve set up van Veen for this 30th goal.

Captain One Foot strikes again.

He did set up his 29th.

I don't know why we need to talk down the value of our own players at every opportunity.  Not a great sales technique, surely?

As someone rightly pointed out, a sensible scout would visit fan forums to get a long-term opinion on a player.

(yeah sure I'm overplaying The Power Of The Forum, but still ...)

The money thrown around in other leagues really *is* silly, and some of you would seem to be happy if KVV went for pocket change

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

7 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I don't know why we need to talk down the value of our own players at every opportunity.  Not a great sales technique, surely?

As someone rightly pointed out, a sensible scout would visit fan forums to get a long-term opinion on a player.

The money thrown around in other leagues really *is* silly, and some of you would seem to be happy if KVV went for pocket money 

I feel like you're missing the funny bit with the Wolves thing....