Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The job that Kettlewell has done has been nothing short of remarkable.

When he took over we were joint bottom with Dundee United. We finished the season 19 points ahead of them.

He's only lost two games out of fourteen and has a win rate of over 70%.

If we had this form over the full season (I know we never would, but for context) we would only be about 10 points behind Rangers.

All without bringing his own players in, Paton aside.

I know this summer in the transfer market, particularly with Van Veen offski, will be a big challenge but you have to say so far he's done quite an incredible job.

I'm glad we left Holloway to chat brexit with Farage.

FxOsuBdWAAAuYBp?format=jpg&name=small

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Any hints?

Maguire has two ahead of him even in the picture... 
Butcher looking like he's still gonna slide into someone with a cast on
McGinley looking unreasonably happy - does he get a Ketts redemption arc too?

6 hours ago, ropy said:

No sign of Thommo

Danzaki's there though, so Thommo has to be around somewhere. Whether he still needs a translator fitness coach idk, but I assume you have to have at least two Japanese nationals around the place or they get lonely and depressed.

There will no doubt be time for more sober reflections but the three months of SK have been incredibly enjoyable - and the development from being solid and winning to actually playing a bit of football occasionally, if not all the time.

It's worth pointing out we usually manage to build on strong Jan-May spells the next season and the last time we had to replace a 25-league-goal striker we actually finished second...

Bizarrely I'm very calm about losing KVV and much more concerned about keeping Casey, Butcher not being out long-term and us being able to shuffle some in contract guys out the door to make space on the wage bill.

If those three things fall well for us we'll be fine next season (midtable - no promises of more!). If not, we're potentially in for another long haul as much - similar to KVV - I suspect SK has stumbled across a career spell and this magic simply can't go on.

Kevin van Veen is a Motherwell legend, I'd love for him to stay but fully expect him to get one last move, and he's absolutely earned it. 

Special mention for Blair Spittal, cannot believe how badly he was utilised during the first half of the season, what a turnaround and what an important player he has become for us. 

Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, crucial that we keep Casey. The clown car defending yesterday was a timely reminder of why the some of the defenders we started the season with probably won't do. 

Said it before, but what an incredible job Kettlewell has done. Genuinely really enjoyed watching us from mid-February onwards this season. Looking forward to seeing how he approaches next season. 

Women’s POTY - Lucy Ronald
Top Goalscorer - Kevin Van Veen
Goal of The Season - Callum Slattery (vs. Kilmarnock)
Coaches’ POTY - Calum Butcher
Players POTY - Kevin Van Veen
Young POTY - Max Johnston
Player Of The Year - Kevin Van Veen

Edited by capt_oats

Saw a tweet earlier (that now I can’t find) from someone who was at the POYT awards saying that Bazooka Joe confirmed he’s signed on for another year. If true, given it’s the full year extension, I’m guessing it’s not us simply ‘doing the right thing’ by an injured player. If he can rekindle that wee patch he had under Hammell he can still be a useful player. 

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Will be interesting to see who stays and who goes, crucial that we keep Casey. The clown car defending yesterday was a timely reminder of why the some of the defenders we started the season with probably won't do. 

I don't disagree re: Casey but to me yesterday really amplified how important Butcher is in making the defence work.

Needs must and everything with Butcher on crutches and Lamie having had surgery but we were asking Bevis to do stuff he's just not comfortable with. Ironic, given Kettlewell's whole blueprint recently has been getting players to focus on what they're actually good at..

It showed - he looked fucking terrified every time he got the ball and the indecision had a knock on across the back line.

31 minutes ago, dezz said:

Saw a tweet earlier (that now I can’t find) from someone who was at the POYT awards saying that Bazooka Joe confirmed he’s signed on for another year. If true, given it’s the full year extension, I’m guessing it’s not us simply ‘doing the right thing’ by an injured player. If he can rekindle that wee patch he had under Hammell he can still be a useful player. 

Is this it?

https://twitter.com/Mon_The_Well22/status/1662898644427722752?s=20

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I don't disagree re: Casey but to me yesterday really amplified how important Butcher is in making the defence work.

Absolutely, I was more looking at it from the perspective that Butcher is under contract and Casey isn't. That partnership has been massive in us staying up, hopefully Butcher's injury isn't too bad and he'll be ready for pre-season. 

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Absolutely, I was more looking at it from the perspective that Butcher is under contract and Casey isn't. That partnership has been massive in us staying up, hopefully Butcher's injury isn't too bad and he'll be ready for pre-season. 

Another hangover from the ridiculous world cup scheduling is that close-season for the players is effectively 3 weeks - so Butcher on crutches at the end of May is a legitimate concern for pre-season.

We didn’t concede a goal in the 3 and a bit games Butcher played post split. The game and a half he missed we conceded 3 goals, I think that says it all. 

On contracts, McGinn was in the media this morning talking about coming back for the pre-season training camp in Holland. So I can only assume he’s got something sorted as well. 

As a general rule of thumb though, if the seasons ended and the contract remains unsigned then to my mind that means they’re basically away. So I’m already counting Casey, Goss, Cornelius and Johnston as all gone. 

With Kev almost certain to be sold as well, that’s a lot of quality leaving in the summer. Basically half of Kettlewell’s regular first picks out the door. Meanwhile the likes of Shields, Morris, Maguire, McGinley etc are all still contracted for another season.

I don’t envy Kettlewell, he’s going to have some amount of wheeling and dealing to do this summer. 

23 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

The media piece said Butcher's injury wasn't as bad as first feared and should be ready for the new season.  Obviously, what "new season" means is up for debate.