Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

Interesting formatting of the women’s league, it may help the hard of thinking that can’t cope with the post split standings 

Have always said this would be a better way to show it, for the folk who get annoyed when the team in 7th end up with more points than the team in 6th. I wouldn't even be bothered if the league just split into two proper groups, with everyone starting again on 0 games played, and the team at the bottom of each group starting on 0 points. Plus it would really annoy Rangers and Celtic fans who'd have to do more sums before getting angry about whatever they were angry about that week.

13 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Some sort of training compensation, which is based on how long he's been with us. Don't know if first team games and international appearances factor into it though. We've negotiated with clubs in the past to get a smaller fee with addons for future sales. I'm reluctant for us to do that though, since outside of Marvin J we haven't done too well in that area. 

It's a shame we couldn't get him on a longer contract, but I don't think there's anything we can do if someone is dead set on leaving.  

We'd be due the training compensation and we'd also get a pro-rata amount of 5% of any future sale as part of the solidarity payment system.

Tbh, unless we're absolutely desperate for £100k here or there I'd guess that you'd always take the mystery box gamble and trade off a slice in favour of a sell-on if possible as you'll look really fucking daft that one time when it actually comes off.

Here's what we put out when Campbell moved on:

"We have reached a financial arrangement with Luton based on our training compensation entitlement. We have also negotiated the addition of future economic rights."

Link

This is what Burrows was saying (only Hastie was OOC at the time he left the club):

That Tweet was part of a much longer thread about broader stuff that's still relevant all the same regardless of whether AB has left the club:

Screenshot2023-03-27at09_47_53.thumb.png.ab1e0dc6a903d62d84b74ce16575b3f7.png

Edited by capt_oats

It's also funny looking back that Hastie to Rangers was considered a "bloody nose" for us.  What did we end up getting, about £400k?  That's deal of the century given what's happened since.  Is he still turning it on for Hartlepool Reserves?

Understand the incentives for them but I’m trying hard to think of any of the glut of young players in the last 7/8 years that were pinched prior to playing first team football for us that have so far went on to do anything of note? Ironically you could probably argue a case for McKinstry being the one who has made the most headway unless there’s an obvious one I’ve missed

Edited by Reidy

Reece McAlear has done alright as well I suppose. 

He was released by Norwich after only 1 first team appearance mind. Right now he can’t get a game for Tranmere in League 2 so is back up here on loan to Ayr in the Championship. 

Others like Tom Leighton, Robbie Leitch, Kyle Semple etc were all released without kicking a ball and have dropped down to part time football. Robbie Hemfrey was also released but is still full time albeit about 4th choice keeper at Rotherham. 

So aye, not exactly a great deal of success. 

Edited by Casagolda

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Reece McAlear has done alright as well I suppose. 

He was released by Norwich after only 1 first team appearance mind. Right now he can’t get a game for Tranmere in League 2 so is back up here on loan to Ayr in the Championship. 

Others like Tom Leighton, Robbie Leitch, Kyle Semple etc were all released without kicking a ball and have dropped down to part time football. Robbie Hemfrey was also released but is still full time albeit about 4th choice keeper at Rotherham. 

So aye, not exactly a great deal of success. 

It's always a bit of sliding doors moment when promising youngsters leave. Not many have went on to do great things but if they'd stayed and played 50 games for us instead of sitting in youth teams down south then who knows. I'd bet a few of them would have became solid enough SPFL players for us. 

With those mentioned it's the age old question of does disappearing from the pro game show they were right to grab that one contract when they could or were they wrong to move from a more obvious path to first team football?

Obviously massively subjective but I'd nearly always say the former so fair play to them.

When you look not just at those who make our first team squad but those who did so and played pretty regularly but still didn't 'make it' (Ian Ross, Kinniburgh and Fitzpatrick are the three which stand out for me for various reasons but there are lots), I think anyone advising a kid to turn down a life-altering contract to stay at FP is pretty optimistic/deluded/selfish.

It feels like Archibald is a similar profile to Kettlewell so at least we seem to be consistent in our selection criteria.

I see we've used the same language in the news story as when Kettlewell was announced.

"Alan Archibald has been appointed lead development coach. 

The 45-year-old will be begin working specifically with our Development and Under 18s teams after leaving his role as assistant manager at Partick Thistle in February.

Archibald takes up the role that was vacated by manager Stuart Kettlewell last month."

Link

Also, it's worth mentioning that he was Spittal and McGinn's gaffer at Thistle as well as being on the coaching staff when Richard Foster was there.

If our whole thing is trying to create a first team culture at that level then Archibald is at the very least experienced.

Screenshot2023-03-27at16_59_59.thumb.png.0cf5a3ed69e83638caff9bb7c6d530e1.png

Link

Edited by capt_oats