Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I was wondering about who'd be preferred when Mandron and Obika are both fit, and whether Efford would potentially be an option there, then honestly burst out laughing when I looked at our squad on Wikipedia. I'd genuinely forgotten Aitchison, Crankshaw and Danzaki existed. It's hard to see places for Tierney, Mckinstry and Shields long-term.

28 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I was wondering about who'd be preferred when Mandron and Obika are both fit, and whether Efford would potentially be an option there, then honestly burst out laughing when I looked at our squad on Wikipedia. I'd genuinely forgotten Aitchison, Crankshaw and Danzaki existed. It's hard to see places for Tierney, Mckinstry and Shields long-term.

I am almost certain KVV would already be on 20 goals if Efford hadn't got injured.  They seemed to have getting a decent partnership going before he went down.  

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think Obika would be the choice - From the limited amount I've seen of him, Mandron looks like he would be the KVV role in the partnership. Obika seems to be quite unique in our squad as he is there to hold the ball up and bring others in.

Efford was thriving in a system that we haven't been playing since Hammell went - so I'm not sure where he fits currently.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

See, assuming we stick with the 3412 then I reckon Tierey and Danzaki fit as options in the Spittal role.

In fact, there's probably an argument that having Tierney in between the lines as a raumdeuter is probably his best position. The Irish Tam Mueller and all that.

Either way, as it stands Spittal's made the position his own just now.

McKinstry and Crankshaw have been unlucky that we've essentially stopped playing with wingers although I could easily be convinced that we could make McKinstry a project in the #10 role.

I suppose it really depends on how Ketts wants to set up. If this is something that he sees as viable going forward or is it simply him pishing with the cock he's got as a means to an end.

That's something that applies to the Goss/Slattery situation as well tbf in so much as what's his preference and what does he actually want his midfield to look like.

Edited by capt_oats

Joe, like a few players, has 8 games to show if his purple patch in September was exactly that or it can be sustained. From when he signed till mid August the criticism of his contributions on here ranged from misused to pilloried. It then comes back to the round peg/square hole, best use of what he brings arguments.

With him on the physio bench for 6 months, an inauspicious first half season plus a fee paid (staggeringly), I doubt it can be argued with hindsight he's been anything other than an above average drain on a budget that we're told every penny is a prisoner.

Whatever fee we did pay for him and Alexander's rationale to the board/Flao at his time of purchase, it is not going to be realised when he goes. I can't see a 2 year deal being signed and him leaving in the following 4 windows for any cash.

As for the KvV debate. I've had others have a go at me too for questioning how he comes across too often or the cyclical nature of his performances. Again mitigated with injuries, what his instructions may have been, tactics and a lot of undoubted frustration at times from him. One person wanting a striker to square a ball more often is often countered with you need a greedy b*****d response and he's sitting on what 18 now? Despite his goals being key, I replaced him with Butcher from mid Feb as my first pick on the team sheet.

With SOD, McGinn, Max and Furlong out of contract or offski then SK has a blank slate if he wants revert to a back 4 or go to the transfer market to secure wingbacks to emulate where we are at present. The latter means you "lose" a midfielder. Based on his pressers thus far and as KvV is with us next season (barring an offer), he's conveyed he 100% see's him playing alongside a foil. Then we're going with two up front.

We've certainly have got enough decent players on the books till 2024 who are a nucleus to compete in this league (the caveat being - if used correctly). SK has at least has shown he can be trusted with the keys. He will no doubt be happy to free up some cash to go off and secure his own guys. I'd be surprised if Joe's wage was one he'd not want to have in his hippy.

Edited by Kapowzer

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

My first season of going to the football was 94-95. 

Hated Motherwell. Always seemed to beat us and their strikers had names like Tommy and Dougie. 

Hi.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

“East Stand Motherwell is an wider reaching project” is bugging me more than it should.

I blame the printer for not proof reading it first.

Decent initiative though, anything to make games a bit more colourful and create a bit of atmosphere is fine by me.