Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

idk when I started going to games. 90-something. First related pictures I have was from a PotY in '97 so maybe that season or just before. Probably would have been at that 2-1 game posted from '98. But interesting to note from the commentary, Rangers 'needed' to win as they'd drawn their last three with Hearts, Kilmarnock and Dundee. Games against the Mold Firm clearly would've had a better chance of getting something at least. Nowadays that run and defeat by us would've prompted a spraypaint banner in the carpark from the bhears.

As for Saturday, part of me wants to get stuck in to them. I'm not saying hack their legs off (though I might shout it at 12.30 on Sat) but get in their faces and close people down. Too many cooks spoil the broth when it comes to 11 players in the box. They're used to people camping in and having 80-yards to pass around willy-nilly until they can pick their angle. They're not always used to being under pressure. They're human and they make mistakes too.

We'll probably get beat anyway. Might as well say f**k it and get in aboot them.

This is mildly amusing as presumably Hammell actually signed Butcher to play in midfield.

Speaking ahead of Saturday’s visit of Rangers, the 32-year-old said: “It’s a position I would like to carry on playing. It’s where I see myself for the next few years.

“I do enjoy playing midfield and I am a player who will play anywhere that can help the team but it’s something I have really settled into and something I really enjoy doing. So hopefully I can continue playing there.

“I played in a back three when I was at United, on the right side, and now I’m at the middle. I’m just being back there and playing there and organising people.”

Link

It feels like there's a definite irony in there that the guy who was signed to fix our midfield has ended up fixing our defence (so far).

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This is mildly amusing as presumably Hammell actually signed Butcher to play in midfield.

It feels like there's a definite irony in there that the guy who was signed to fix our midfield has ended up fixing our defence (so far).

Does he have a twin?

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Given that the Butcher/Casey/McGinn thing has pretty much been an unqualified success so far, I'm paranoid about us changing it in any way unless we are forced to. It will likely be tested to destruction tomorrow, but it has definitely been effective against every non-OF we've played and so even if we get pumped by Rangers, I'd hate to see a knee-jerk reaction to that.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

Given that the Butcher/Casey/McGinn thing has pretty much been an unqualified success so far, I'm paranoid about us changing it in any way unless we are forced to. It will likely be tested to destruction tomorrow, but it has definitely been effective against every non-OF we've played and so even if we get pumped by Rangers, I'd hate to see a knee-jerk reaction to that.

The interesting wrinkle as I saw it was that Butcher was one of 3 of the January 9 who had signed deals beyond the end of the season (Blaney and Danzaki being the other two).

Like, I'm sure the deals have relegation breaks and all that but the slight worry I had was whether Hammell may have made a pitch based on Butcher playing a specific role that he'd bought into but inside a couple of weeks everything's out the window with a new manager in and him being asked to play centre back.

There's probably a version of that where it becomes a bit awkward.

I know players will generally just give bland platitudes when they're up in front of the press but if he's into it and no one's agitating to change things up then...cool.

Edited by capt_oats

I read that statement, and I must be getting old. Firstly, I can't read shit that's in multiple colours on a coloured background so maybe need to get my eyes checked. Secondly, they may want to concede that some of the shite they've done this season was actually wrong and isn't condoned by the vast majority of our support.  Thirdly, they have a bit of an ego about them that doesn't quite sit with being motherwell fans. I doubt anyone going to the game tomorrow gives a f**k.

Authority figures being b*****ds is nothing new though. We should be working with fans, not villianizing them (except for the ones that trash pubs).

7 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I read that statement, and I must be getting old. Firstly, I can't read shit that's in multiple colours on a coloured background so maybe need to get my eyes checked. Secondly, they may want to concede that some of the shite they've done this season was actually wrong and isn't condoned by the vast majority of our support.  Thirdly, they have a bit of an ego about them that doesn't quite sit with being motherwell fans. I doubt anyone going to the game tomorrow gives a f**k.

Authority figures being b*****ds is nothing new though. We should be working with fans, not villianizing them (except for the ones that trash pubs).

It does seem like there is some truth in the middle, wee fannies being wee fannies and job worths being job worths. Not a great mix. 

3 hours ago, Desp said:

If the wee c***s could also stop spray painting every disused building, brick walls, bins in ML1, that would be just lovely. 

100% ANTI ACCIES

Whilst on the subject @Busta Nut Whats the deal with your avatar, I've seen it spraypainted quite a few times now and I've not got a scoob?

50 minutes ago, stephmc1886 said:

100% ANTI ACCIES

Whilst on the subject @Busta Nut Whats the deal with your avatar, I've seen it spraypainted quite a few times now and I've not got a scoob?

Beneath The Dirt on Twitter: "#InsaneClownPosse confirmed on their live  stream Monday that “Wicked Vic the Weed” will be released on time.  https://t.co/zGd2Gcfizg" / Twitter

It's an EP cover from last year by a band called the Insane Clown Posse. Maybe it's just something similar or there are more ML1 Juggalos than just me.

WOOP WOOP!

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Beneath The Dirt on Twitter: "#InsaneClownPosse confirmed on their live  stream Monday that “Wicked Vic the Weed” will be released on time.  https://t.co/zGd2Gcfizg" / Twitter

It's an EP cover from last year by a band called the Insane Clown Posse. Maybe it's just something similar or there are more ML1 Juggalos than just me.

WOOP WOOP!

Really liked that record. Clown Bounce and Mutilator are my picks as the best from it.

5 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

Really liked that record. Clown Bounce and Mutilator are my picks as the best from it.

I actually like the cover of Hungry like the Wolf too. I'm a bit of a fanboy though and like everything they do.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

WOOP WOOP!

Please start attending games as a juggalo.