Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It was interesting that the "shove a camera in a gutted player's face" interviews were quietly canned. I would say that The Thread® was on the right side of history on that one.

51 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't mind them on occasion. Like there was quite a fun one after oor Deano's debut. But when you're getting your pants pulled down every week it's absolutely grim viewing. 

For the most part get them in the sea.

This is kind of it.

I get the whole to thine own self be true thing and that.

It's more authentic if you are covering both the good and the bad but the reality was that while a lot of the stuff that was being done was good the issue was their impact just quickly became diluted when they became fixtures of our output and ended up as being things that we just did. Relentlessly.

Like, I also get the idea that we stopped interviewing new signings because it was felt that the generic interviews post-signing didn't offer up anything interesting or add value.

Again, I don't actually disagree with that position but when you find yourself weeks later and the guy is still just a face because we haven't got round to the 5 min interview it's kind of like, "what are we actually doing here lads?".

The discussion has been done to death, but I think it was/is a mistake to measure the success of the socials posts by their “reach” rather than the “wants” of the actual fan base. I get why this is the case, but I’m not convinced that it doesn’t turn people away from social media too. There was definitely a period where I read/watched everything the club put out - now unless someone sends me something or I pick it up on here I probably listen to the managers pre-match chat, read the team sheet and (depending on whether or not I’ve caught sportscene) watch the highlights.  Similarly, I used to take more of an interest in the reserves. Whether this was because info was more “accessible” or because I used to be in a position where I could get to at least a few reserves games a seasons I don’t know. Probably a bit of both to be honest, but I could tell you nothing about the reserves results/league placing/how we’re playing now (though I do appreciate that Twitter has had a bit more on this recently). 

Saying all this though I’m probably beyond the target demographic of social media output. 

59 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It literally was GrantRussell I believe. 😂

Fair play for not trying to be fly. It’s a double edged sword engaging with the fans as Flao can testify.

It’s hard to gauge the right level, when to nip something in the bud.

I mean the alternative is the likes of Dundee or St Johnstone who have been pilloried for being tone deaf.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I don't mind them on occasion. Like there was quite a fun one after oor Deano's debut. But when you're getting your pants pulled down every week it's absolutely grim viewing. 

For the most part get them in the sea.

If we ever happen to beat Rangers or Celtic ever again, I insist on every player getting interviewed at least twice.   

And a group photo of them wearing party hats

I'm still not really sure there's much point in the club trying to grow their "reach" through social media. Like the Hartley piano video will probably be pointed to as our biggest Twitter success or whatever, but is there any tangible benefit for Motherwell there? Nobody's going to start supporting us because of it, I doubt it'll make much of a difference in terms of appealing to sponsors. Will have been a good addition to the media team's CVs though. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't do stuff like that that's a bit out there and gets 100k retweets, or whatever. For me it should still just be secondary to a) telling the 4000 people who actually support Motherwell what is happening at the club and b) providing Behind the Scenes stuff for folk that like it.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

telling the 4000 people who actually support Motherwell what is happening at the club

Yes to all of the above, and this bit especially.

21 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Saying all this though I’m probably beyond the target demographic of social media output. 

If the primary target isn't the actual supporters, then something is wrong.

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm still not really sure there's much point in the club trying to grow their "reach" through social media. Like the Hartley piano video will probably be pointed to as our biggest Twitter success or whatever, but is there any tangible benefit for Motherwell there? Nobody's going to start supporting us because of it, I doubt it'll make much of a difference in terms of appealing to sponsors. Will have been a good addition to the media team's CVs though. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't do stuff like that that's a bit out there and gets 100k retweets, or whatever. For me it should still just be secondary to a) telling the 4000 people who actually support Motherwell what is happening at the club and b) providing Behind the Scenes stuff for folk that like it.

I think there's balance to be struck. I don't care for any of it personally (I think the only stuff I actually watched properly was the infamous footgolf years afterwards to see just how it torpedoed an entire season according to some!) but would happily watch proper highlights of the reserves/youths.

On the other hand, the club (rightly or wrongly) felt the brand stuff helped them land the Bet365 'non-sponsor' and can potentially provide an edge in attracting guys from England. It probably won't compensate for Dundee United offering 500 quid a week more but the 'Alan Campbell brand guide' might persuade someone to FP for 100 less than Killie will pay if they think we will be invested in making them sellable.

I think there's little doubt the buzz/brand/whatever does affect what you can get for players to an extent (Goodwillie going for 20 times what we got for Murphy still infuriates and baffles me in equal measure). On the other hand, how do you quantify it compared to how good a player is and how many folk you've sold recently, which is surely a much bigger contribution to brand Motherwell than anything on social media?

Where we went wrong under Russell was we created the impression we existed to pump out this content regardless of the context, hence the rage...ultimately no matter how nice your little videos are, if they piss off your core support the balance is wrong.

But with the caveat of having to find that balance, if we have limited resources I can understand focusing on brand stuff which *might* help beyond the core support, who will simply hand over their money regardless of what's on YouTube.

They used to say that today's newspapers are tomorrow's chip wrappers. I guess there must be some modern equivalent given the fashion driven, self-reinforcing nature of social media coupled with the apparent need to reinvent your brand every five minutes.

As someone said up above, though, I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to see highlights of the reserves without having to jump on some other club's socials.

Aye I agree about the balance being struck, and it tbf it feels like we've moved away from the more eye-catching stuff too. It just felt at times over the last few seasons like the equivalent of watching a team do rabonas and keepy uppies in midfield while not actually having a goalkeeper. 

I will say that the video(s?) the club put out with a few of the black players explaining the decision to stop taking the knee was really genuinely insightful and maybe wouldn't have happened if we didn't have that sort of media structure in place.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I will say that the video(s?) the club put out with a few of the black players explaining the decision to stop taking the knee was really genuinely insightful and maybe wouldn't have happened if we didn't have that sort of media structure in place.

Maybe the best bit of video we ever put out. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

There's more, much funnier, instances of this but that's a whole other story that's no mine to tell. 

Hi!

On 28/12/2020 at 18:48, thisGRAEME said:

Who had 'righting wrongs' this week? 

I posted this and got both barrels in my Whatsapps accusing me of being unprofessional, because I (at the time) worked for the SPFL. A good laugh!

7 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Hi!

I posted this and got both barrels in my Whatsapps accusing me of being unprofessional, because I (at the time) worked for the SPFL. A good laugh!

That's poor TBH - posting a benign comment on a (semi) anonymous account on a completely unrelated platform is none of anyone's business. The assumption that folk's personal use of social media is fair game from a work perspective is an all round shite thing TBH.

I've mentioned it before probably - but 'Flow DM'd me on here about 10 mins after I (apparently) broke the news of Bob Malcolm signing wanting to know who told me :lol:

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Was genuinely surprised to find that our most popular video on YouTube is big Bev's header. I'm guessing there might be some SEO keywords involved there...

Screenshot2023-03-10at16_44_26.thumb.png.481342b24482e16394a7572feea88fe8.png

To be fair if you search on the old P-hub for those playoff games they have a lot more views. 

20 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Good captioning, especially when Cody Gakpo is quite literally next to Van Veen on the list with the same amount of goals 😂

Played less games though, which in most metrics like this would out you higher.