Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, Swello said:

I didn't realise that NI picked their players using the BBC Sport Player Rater.

Also - Kettlewell Manager of the Month. Getting it before we play Rangers is fine as no-one will notice the curse.

Rangers are our only other game this month as well so it'll be on to another victim by April.

32 minutes ago, Al B said:

Looking him up in a "I didn't realise he was eligible for N.I" type-way, even more unexpected was that it turns out he's German!

I knew he was German but had no idea he was eligible for N.I.

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I knew he was German but had no idea he was eligible for N.I.

He mentioned the N.I thing in passing during a bit of content the media team did with him ages ago.

Seems he'd had a chat with O'Neil about it before.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Happy as it sends his value skyward ......

Wonder what percentage of OF fans are like "7 PoINts fRoM 9? aNge/BeALe got 12 fROm 12, diSGuStiNG"

That’s exactly what it is online. Old Firm fans are a totally deluded, arrogant different breed of human.

25 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

That’s exactly what it is online. Old Firm fans are a totally deluded, arrogant different breed of human.

I think it must be fucking exhausting just spending your whole life looking for football related arguments - like Celtic supporters going mad about VAR not giving them a penalty in a game they won 5-1.

Left after about 30 minutes, had to get back to work. 2-0 down. Hard to say that QOTS were better than us, but they were so much more effective in the final 3rd. The number 9 who I only know as Ross held absolutely everything up, we got nothing of quality into Mark Ferrie.

Luca Ross probably the brightest well player on the park. 

Not sure on the queens team and if they had first team players but at least 6 of them were 6ft plus, We looked like a team of young boys, and tbf we were (Dunachie aside)

54 minutes ago, Swello said:

A complete 180 degree turn from the last reserve side which was all first team squad players. Reserve league always feels like a mess.

I thought this, I know the last game was a cup game so whether or not that had a bearing on the team? with it also being a bit of a break for the first 11 I wonder if they have been given some time off.

Kettlewell and I think Frail were both there today.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

A complete 180 degree turn from the last reserve side which was all first team squad players. Reserve league always feels like a mess.

The reserves/development structure in Scottish football has been a shambles since before the pandemic. 

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and I think Hearts and Hibs originally pulling out of the re-vamped reserve league after 1 season which changed from the development league to a new reserves league. Covid then pumped it even more not long after.

Now we have a weird 10 team reserve league with no real age restrictions I don't think, and about half the Premiership teams. Some teams playing youth players and others playing stronger teams with seasoned pros occasionally. Games cancelled all the time.

Needs a proper rethink but with the Celtic/Rangers/Hearts B teams now in the Lowland league I can't see it really getting any better anytime soon for clubs our size who don't really have the funds or squads to run a formal B team.

47 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Needs a proper rethink but with the Celtic/Rangers/Hearts B teams now in the Lowland league I can't see it really getting any better anytime soon for clubs our size who don't really have the funds or squads to run a formal B team.

In fairness, the reserve league structure as it is, was at the request of clubs/pundits bumping their gums at how the answer was a 'Proper' reserve league, which I suppose is what it is.

For us? It's kids playing games. We could/should be playing kids of sufficient standard in our first team, or getting them out on loan at the first opportunity. We've got a bunch of examples of it working, and I kind of doubt it worries us, as a club, to a massive degree.

Translated : "Erling Haaland remains the leader in the battle for the ESM Golden Boot. Kylian Mbappé rises to fourth place. For the first time this season, four Dutchmen are classified in the European top scorers ranking. Cody Gakpo and Kevin van Veen are new arrivals."

From the article : " The fourth Dutchman in the ranking is Kevin van Veen. 31-year-old Helmonder made both hits on behalf of Motherwell FC on a visit to Ross County on Sunday and has now scored thirteen times. He comes in at number 79.

Next Saturday, however, Van Veen will have to score against Rangers FC to stay in the standings. After all, next week the ranking will be cleaned up to players with at least twenty points. The former striker of JVC Cuijk and TOP Oss is still half a point short of this. Next Tuesday a new overview of the ESM Golden Shoe. The European top scorers award is an initiative of the ESM, the European cooperation organization of twelve (sports) newspapers and magazines. The overview is kept by the undersigned at the editorial office of ELF Voetbal in Nijmegen."

#wearemassive #establishmentteam #toobigtogodown

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

In fairness, the reserve league structure as it is, was at the request of clubs/pundits bumping their gums at how the answer was a 'Proper' reserve league, which I suppose is what it is.

For us? It's kids playing games. We could/should be playing kids of sufficient standard in our first team, or getting them out on loan at the first opportunity. We've got a bunch of examples of it working, and I kind of doubt it worries us, as a club, to a massive degree.

When the reserve league 'launched' from the embers of the development league it has two divisions and was 27 teams strong. The big clubs walked away and we are left with the current mess.

There are two important needs for me, don't need to really be the same thing to be fair...

- Having a league where we can develop young players in a competitive environment alongside the loan system

- Having a league where you can play the non playing squad players regularly, and consistently,  while they don't play for the first team is critical in my opinion.

Current setup doesn't address either properly and organising bounce games just doesn't seem to work 

Edited by eliphas