Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I handwrite those. This was a question about hospitality. 

I'd give them a phone. I just emailed about hospitality post split actually and got a reply. Email could have went into spam or something. 

Robbie Hemfrey getting sold to Stoke completely passed me by. I’ve honestly never heard of the guy. He’s at Rotherham now.

Max Johnston is so much more athletic than our recent full backs. I’m not surprised a lot of teams are looking at him. It reminds me of Robinson signing forward players with attributes you couldn’t teach but to be fair to Max he seems a decent enough defender anyway.

The flip of that post yesterday about which Academy players have moved for compensation is clearly which Academy players have moved while still under contract:

• Dom Thomas (to Kilmarnock)
  • Jack McMillan (to Livingston)
  • Ross MacLean (to Falkirk)
  • Reece McAlear (to Norwich)
  • James Scott (to Hull)
  • Stuart McKinstry (to Leeds)
  • David Turnbull (to Celtic)

I suppose the eye opener is the number who have come through the Academy that have simply been released at varying stages of their career in the same period and this is really the point when folk are wondering why we're not tying players down to long contracts.:

• Stuart Carswell
  • Josh Moore
  • Jordan Pettigrew
  • David Ferguson
  • Craig Moore
  • Dylan Mackin
  • Luke Watt
  • Jason Krones
  • Jordan Armstrong
  • Alfredo Agyeman
  • Shaun Bowers
  • Shea Gordon
  • Liam Brown
  • Kyle MacDonald
  • Broque Watson
  • Neil McLaughlin
  • Jack Brown
  • Adam Livingston
  • Adam Kettings
  • Cole Starrs
  • Yusuf Hussain
  • Matthew McDonald
  • Sam Muir
  • Cammy Williamson
  • Paul Hale
  • Lewis Robertson
  • Jamie Semple
  • Findlay Cook
  • PJ Morrison
  • Lawton Green
  • Cody McLeod

Some of those were players who came through the Academy from the start of their careers and some were signed specifically to play in the Development team eg: Shea Gordon, Liam Brown, Shaun Bowers, Neil McLaughlin.

Either way, it highlights the fine balance when it comes to Academy development.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, Swello said:

Depends if it's of the type instructing the manager to "have them practice throw-ins at training" or not. 

You joke, but I saw a comment on the player of the month facebook post the other day where a guy was demanding to know why there was no information on the official site about why McKinstry had been dropped.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

You joke, but I saw a comment on the player of the month facebook post the other day where a guy was demanding to know why there was no information on the official site about why McKinstry had been dropped.

Speaking of the POTM:

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

See on the Johnstone stuff, am I right in thinking that it is still possible to build future clauses into the deal? I'm certain we done similar with Allan Campbell.

We did, aye.

"Allan Campbell has signed for Luton Town.

The Motherwell youth academy graduate, who made 160 appearances in claret and amber, moves under freedom of contract to the English Championship side.

We have reached a financial arrangement with Luton based on our training compensation entitlement. We have also negotiated the addition of future economic rights."

Link

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

On another note, am I being crazy optimistic if I'm expecting the club to reply to an email? 

I sent an email once. didn't get a reply. I then went on the site got the email addresses for everyone. CC'd them all in and made some emails up (name.Surname@Motherwel.. blah) and they all went through. Got a reply that day.

I am not that c**t usually but f**k it.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Robbie Hemfrey getting sold to Stoke completely passed me by. I’ve honestly never heard of the guy. He’s at Rotherham now.

I forgot about Tom Leighton who's another one that has been mentioned on here now and again when the Academy/Development conversation circles round. Slightly different in that he was offered pro-terms with us AFAIK but instead went to Watford.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/14711158.tom-leighton-scottish-youngster-time-benfica-becoming-next-oliver-burke/

Im probably miles out but, as good as Johnston might have been in flashes, the daily rumours around him feel like nothing more than an agent trying to back up the shite hes been telling the player to convince him to reject deals.

Can fully see him still being a free agent by the middle of August trying to find someone willing to pay the compensation. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im probably miles out but, as good as Johnston might have been in flashes, the daily rumours around him feel like nothing more than an agent trying to back up the shite hes been telling the player to convince him to reject deals.

Can fully see him still being a free agent by the middle of August trying to find someone willing to pay the compensation. 

To be fair by all accounts, the club have had to fight to keep a hold of him for years. 

Much like Turnbull or even Lennon Miller, bigger clubs will have known all about them long before they ever make the first team. I’d be surprised if these clubs were suddenly put off paying a few hundred thousand for him. 

I imagine Johnston and Miller’s dads being ex pro’s probably worked in our favour in terms of them sticking with us instead of getting lost in some big teams academy. 

Edited by Casagolda

Just now, Casagolda said:

To be fair by all accounts, the club have had to fight to keep hold a hold of him for years. 

Much like Turnbull or even Lennon Miller, bigger clubs will known all about them long before they ever make the first team. I’d be surprised if these clubs were  suddenly put off paying a few hundred thousand for him. 

I imagine Johnston and Miller’s dads being ex pro’s probably worked in our favour in terms of them sticking with us instead of getting lost in some big teams academy. 

He's also a CAA Base client, which happens to be the agency Pearson works with.

I mean, the links with other clubs started appearing a year ago so it's not like this has happened all of a sudden when his contract is expiring in a couple of months.

This one is from 9th March 2022:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/max-johnston-sheffield-united-luton-26424613

28 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

To be fair by all accounts, the club have had to fight to keep a hold of him for years. 

Much like Turnbull or even Lennon Miller, bigger clubs will have known all about them long before they ever make the first team. I’d be surprised if these clubs were suddenly put off paying a few hundred thousand for him. 

Aye im probably wrong tbh, its just the more rumours you see about a player, the less i believe them. Him being linked with a different club/league every week for over a month has my *doubt* senses tingling. 

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's defo agent stuff IMO. Only part I think you re wrong is the free agent bit, but I get that was half hyperbole

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye im probably wrong tbh, its just the more rumours you see about a player, the less i believe them. Him being linked with a different club/league every week for over a month has my *doubt* senses tingling. 

Aye, if it was the Sun or Record breaking the story, but fair do's to his agent if he's ringing up Italian Sports Journos asking then to run a story on behalf of his client 😂

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Aye, if it was the Sun or Record breaking the story, but fair do's to his agent if he's ringing up Italian Sports Journos asking then to run a story on behalf of his client 😂

Tbf with an agency the size of CAA, it wouldnt be hugely difficult. Would imagine they have hundreds of clients in Italy and are close with journalists over there.

We were, randomly, linked with an U21 Juventus player, who has barely played for about 2 years, a few weeks ago as an example of the bizarreness of football rumours.