Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Of all the titbits to discuss today, chasing the game we put on (only) SOD, Aitchison and Slattery while ignoring Mckinstry, crankshaw, Tierney and Danzaki.

Can obviously say well done this time but it's a rather damning indictment on them...it's one thing not starting them, ignoring them when chasing a game late on suggests SK sees next to no use for them whatsoever.

I'd be surprised to see Tierney, Crankshaw or Danzaki playing at Premiership level after they leave us tbh. 

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Was hard to tell between the laptop and the fact everything stretched by then but seemed 4-3-3ish again.

Aitchison on the right and KVV on the left I take it? Wondered if it was a Robinson-esque "three centre forwards running into each other" job when he made the sub.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Of all the titbits to discuss today, chasing the game we put on (only) SOD, Aitchison and Slattery while ignoring Mckinstry, crankshaw, Tierney and Danzaki.

Can obviously say well done this time but it's a rather damning indictment on them...it's one thing not starting them, ignoring them when chasing a game late on suggests SK sees next to no use for them whatsoever.

Merit to this, I wondered why both wingbacks didn’t finish the game unless they were gubbed or Killie were roasting them. However, let’s not overlook of Goss had been on the park he would have claimed that free kick and looked to chip it to the back post.

As poor as we’ve been, we’ve taken 2 from 9 from that Kilmarnock team. Which is a rid neck.

28 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aitchison on the right and KVV on the left I take it? Wondered if it was a Robinson-esque "three centre forwards running into each other" job when he made the sub.

The impression I had was that but they were certainly trying to play closer than being strung out across the park. But someone at the ground will no doubt have had a clearer view.

24 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Shields has scored 4 in his last 3 now. We should try the £5m loan thing with Queen's Park.

He’s genuinely been tremendous for us so far. Championship level is obviously a lower level to what you guys are in but he looks like a premiership level striker playing in the championship. He’s playing right through the middle for us whereas he played out wide a lot for you guys? 

Frustrating he’s got another year left on his deal as I’d love to have him permanently based on what I’ve seen of him so far 

1 minute ago, qpfc said:

He’s genuinely been tremendous for us so far. Championship level is obviously a lower level to what you guys are in but he looks like a premiership level striker playing in the championship. He’s playing right through the middle for us whereas he played out wide a lot for you guys? 

Frustrating he’s got another year left on his deal as I’d love to have him permanently based on what I’ve seen of him so far 

What formation do you play?

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The impression I had was that but they were certainly trying to play closer than being strung out across the park. But someone at the ground will no doubt have had a clearer view.

It was like a 3-4-3 with O'Donnell and Furlong still playing wingback but trying to get forward. And Aitchison and KVV trying to get more involved in the middle of the park. Sort of like the system Hearts played against us last week.

43 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Merit to this, I wondered why both wingbacks didn’t finish the game unless they were gubbed or Killie were roasting them. However, let’s not overlook of Goss had been on the park he would have claimed that free kick and looked to chip it to the back post.

As poor as we’ve been, we’ve taken 2 from 9 from that Kilmarnock team. Which is a rid neck.

For me Cornelius, Furlong and Johnstone all had very ineffective games, compared to the last two games certainly. But that was the same for a number of the senior players too for the first hour to be fair.  Both fullbacks caught a few times, especially Furlong. Cornelius seemed a bit hesitant (as did Goss for a good portion). So all the players coming off I was on board with.

I was calling for McKinstry or Tierney rather than Slattery.  Change of shape and SOD for Max I think firmed it up and have us a wee bit something different so fair play. 

I'm guessing SK doesn't quite trust McKinstry, Danzaki or Tierney to not give the ball away when we are chasing it. Hopefully that can be worked on from both sides.

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

What formation do you play?

4-2-3-1 but with the way we play, it almost looks like 4-2-4 a lot of the time. Would be typical if we somehow met in the playoff final and he was ineligible

15 minutes ago, qpfc said:

4-2-3-1 but with the way we play, it almost looks like 4-2-4 a lot of the time. Would be typical if we somehow met in the playoff final and he was ineligible

Probably explains it. Ironically he'd have much better chance under Kettlewell than Hammell as he could come off the bench in a 3-5-2 to play off someone else up top. In the top-flight (outwith the OF), if you're not 3-5-2 you're effectively playing a lone guy in the middle of the attack and with Shields having the first touch of a wall, it's just not going to be him. I thought he did have enough about him that he could be a useful-ish guy in the squad - work-rate, bit of pace etc - but he clearly desperately needed some time away to clear his head. Hopefully he can come back refreshed in summer and a good pre-season/LC group could yet see him turn it around.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

I’m thinking that if St Mirren can make the top six (have they ever done that?) we can exceed their points total by winning some bottom six games post split.

We’d have more points than they’ve ever had inside the top 6. Our revenge for 1977.

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

I’m thinking that if St Mirren can make the top six (have they ever done that?) we can exceed their points total by winning some bottom six games post split.

Plenty time and opportunities for them to throw it all away. Never having a top 6 finish is some stat. Was it them that lost it at Accies in the last minute a few years ago? Might have been pipped by St Johnstone.

Edited by Quatermass