Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

There's so many variables in it now.

We signed a lot of the good players we reminisce over when either John Boyle or Les Hutchison were chucking money at it. Our fully fan-owned budget doesn't lend as well to that.

As well as what @capt_oats says about Brexit, there was also a spell where the city clubs were taking it in turns to be a bit shit and we would compete with them for signings. I know he's one that splits opinion, but for example, Stephen McManus turned down Hibs to sign with us. Now it seems completely unfathomable that we could beat Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or even Dundee Utd to a signing. 

We've seen that with Snodgrass already this season and even with Tony Watt leaving us in the form of his life for Dundee Utd. 

When we got linked with Fuchs, as much as the deadline had passed, when I saw it was us and Dundee Utd in for him, I pretty much thought "wouldn't have happened anyway".

I've also seen it being banded about that the use of data in football now means that unearthing a hidden gem for a club like us is less likely, because his *numbers* will make him already stand out before a scout goes to watch.

So basically the TL:DR is fan-ownership, brexit, teams with more money and technology.

I asked, lets just say...a guy that doesn't work at the club anymore, a few times if there was ever any chance of bringing Lionel back. He said "hell no...he's the kinda guy at a club that gets managers sacked"

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

I asked, lets just say...a guy that doesn't work at the club anymore, a few times if there was ever any chance of bringing Lionel back. He said "hell no...he's the kinda guy at a club that gets managers sacked"

Was it Mark Mcghee who said that? 

56 minutes ago, Al B said:

Even if you were to say who that quote probably Flowed from, I think the evidence of him being in squads that by my recollection saw McCall, Baraclough and McGhee sacked you’re probably onto something. 

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

So basically the TL:DR is fan-ownership, brexit, teams with more money and technology.

There's probably a bit of a quality vicious circle going on too. Because it's harder to sign good players, the overall standard of Scottish football has declined in recent years, so the standard of player that might even consider playing here for a year or two will likely have dropped as well.

13 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Even if you were to say who that quote probably Flowed from, I think the evidence of him being in squads that by my recollection saw McCall, Baraclough and McGhee sacked you’re probably onto something. 

Ainsworth's exploits in the last week of May 2015 will always hold him in folklore for me, but in all honesty, if he wasn't contributing to his highlight reel, we were as well playing with 10. 

Don't get me wrong, it's the best highlight reel a 'Well player has had, but he went missing for months on end a few times. I can see why he was a nightmare to a manager.

The English market has just outstripped us at an insane rate. Taking Ainsworth as an example, looking at his career history he'd been at Bournemouth, Watford, Huddersfield and Brentford prior to coming here. Granted they were generally Championship/League 1 level clubs that have since lucked out financially by becoming Premiership yo-yo clubs, but they've all been able to spend £20-30m on individual players in recent seasons. There's probably about 30 clubs in the top two English divisions that can spend more than anybody in Scotland. 

I don't really know how this changes unless the English system implodes on itself. I still don't think a Super League would necessarily be a bad thing for us if it meant the English superclubs fucking off and leaving the others in the dust. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

29 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Ainsworth's exploits in the last week of May 2015 will always hold him in folklore for me, but in all honesty, if he wasn't contributing to his highlight reel, we were as well playing with 10. 

Don't get me wrong, it's the best highlight reel a 'Well player has had, but he went missing for months on end a few times. I can see why he was a nightmare to a manager.

About 3 weeks ago I watched back-to-back highlight reels of Lionel, Higdon and Ojamaa, and got mega-depressed about how we'd ended up

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's a bit of analysis of our accounts from Kieran Maguire in his Twitter feed.

Spending half a million on players under Alexander jumps out at me. Kelly aside, who else did we pay fees for? That's nuts.

Thank goodness the board stopped him from spending more in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Spending half a million on players under Alexander jumps out at me. Kelly aside, who else did we pay fees for? That's nuts.

Solholm, Slattery and Efford, I think we knew?

Solholm we made our money back on, seems like.

4 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Slattery and Solholm I think? I like both of them and Kelly, but yeah that's not a greeaaaat return on investment really.

I suppose we're maybe going to have to be prepared to spend a decent amount every summer now just to try and keep in check with the city clubs. Sure that'll go well. 

4 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

What do you think any other manager would have done differently on his first weekend, on that terrible pitch?

Not have his players smash the ball to Ash Taylor for the first 45 minutes for a start.  But then, you'd think the players would be intelligent enough to realise that after the 5th... or at least 8th time Taylor won the ball...