Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Out of interest, why are Motherwell “a unique club”?

He tried to emulate Barcelona but the Twitter bods autocorrect couldn't handle Catalan ......

Top flight staus only behind yours and Celtic's. Our community ethos which we've nurtured over the past decade plays a big part, the mental health stuff, suicide prevention and fan ownership I suppose. And the fact that every one of our fans is a good guy for not being lured away 15 miles to Ibrox and Parkhead.

And none of us bite our bottom lip when there's a news story on Dolly.

Edited by Kapowzer

22 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Only member of #TB3 without a European trophy.

*ahem*

41 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Only non Spanish club to win the Copa del Rey. 

Definitely counts as European.

Edited by Al B

Good luck to Ketts, an utter legend of a player for us and the signings he made didn’t work out for us.  Yogi Hughes managed to keep us up, so Ketts would have done also given a bit more time.

Hes already shown he can get a little bit more out of an under performing team.

My favourite Kettlewell story is when we dropped to the Championship, he seen that Vigurs was offered an extension by Caley but hadn’t signed.  So he went round to his house and wouldn’t leave until he agreed to join County again.  

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Good luck to Ketts, an utter legend of a player for us and the signings he made didn’t work out for us.  Yogi Hughes managed to keep us up, so Ketts would have done also given a bit more time.

Hes already shown he can get a little bit more out of an under performing team.

My favourite Kettlewell story is when we dropped to the Championship, he seen that Vigurs was offered an extension by Caley but hadn’t signed.  So he went round to his house and wouldn’t leave until he agreed to join County again.  

You sure it wasn't just Vigurs taking 2 hours to walk from the kitchen to the livingroom with a cup of tea?

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Pleased to see that we've clearly gone back to taking facial hair into account with our managerial appointments.

He is clearly a changed man since his RC days, gone is the Superman villain look……..to be replaced by the more friendly side shed.  Even the strange V on his forehead has come back…………….it’s all shaping up to be a good appointment for you guys.

2755ED92-1409-43BE-88CD-21F8A3566EB6.jpeg

1FD74A0C-5D6B-460B-BFB6-DA6FD5A9AD80.jpeg

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye.

As I said the other day. it's closer to us appointing Robinson post-McGhee than it is Hammell post-Alexander IMO.

I think most of us would probably have preferred a deal to the summer and see how it goes but as @RandomGuy. mentioned earlier in the thread that kind of ties your hands when it comes to planning. Not even just recruitment but if we're offering contracts to someone like MJ it feels a tougher sell if we don't know who the manager is after summer.

I'm not sure a lot of the "wHy dOn'T tHeY wAiT..." crowd realise how stretched we are in terms of staff at the moment. It didn't go unnoticed by me that Kettlewell hit the point re: staff and structure pretty early on in that interview.

Short term it feels like the right choice vs. bringing an external candidate in and hoping they hit the ground running.

Good point, we gave it to David Gray till the end of the season last year, appointed Johnson in the summer then went and had the most scattergun window ever.

Both him and our CEO recently said that mistakes were made in that window and they should have had more a plan.

Having a structure and plan in place 100% makes sense. 

A sensible appointment given our current situation both on and off the pitch. I’ve enjoyed his fairly ‘open’ interview style so far, and the performances in the last 2 games have been night and day. Hopefully a sign of things to come. 

6 points from the next 2 games please meaning we’ll be all but safe, and can crack on with planning for next season as a Premiership club. Nae bother. 

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

He really needs to get his other staff appointments right imo.

The improvement on Sunday was night and day so hopefully we keep going in an upwards trajectory.

Aye.

I'm interested to see what direction he goes here.

His quote in the interview was:

"It excites me to work with the staff that are already in the building and we'll potentially have to add to that as we move along as well. Just to try and structure things in the way that I believe is right and through conversations with the chairman and the board that knowledge that we have to try and strengthen in certain areas."

I mean, before you get into whether or not there are other staff roles he wants looked at the closing date for applications for Chief Executive and Head of Academy coaching was yesterday.

So, as it stands, we currently have the following vacancies:

Clearly he only gets a direct say in a couple of those.

Edited by capt_oats

48 minutes ago, GreenGray said:

Good point, we gave it to David Gray till the end of the season last year, appointed Johnson in the summer then went and had the most scattergun window ever.

Both him and our CEO recently said that mistakes were made in that window and they should have had more a plan.

Having a structure and plan in place 100% makes sense. 

Now the dust has settled do Hibs fans still feel getting rid of Mathie was the right move?

Given the correct resources backing and trust I’m very much starting to really like Kettlewell and the players at his disposal right now. We’ve always known these players were good but playing well below par.

Let kettlewell bring in an assistant and hopefully a first team coach too and have a good proper structure, sometimes I feel it’s a big workload and just 2 ideas on the touch line you can run out or only bounce they ideas off one 3 heads better than 2 etc. 

As others have said things like Cheif Executives don’t have a massive display on the park these guys come and go and shouldn’t have a big impact at a club like ours. If there was any sort of disconnection with a CEO and fans or management it would be solved pretty quickly I think. 

Hopefully we can also sort of the script with the reserves and academy and give these youngsters a solid and flowing pathway and not too much uncertainty and someone who can have a big impact on their futures. 

Let’s start looking up back the team and new set up as well as to get as many folk bouncing in the stands of Fir Park again and enjoying matchdays, you never know we might be able to make amends for this seasons shit show and European disaster.

7th by season end is probably with a sensible cap on the best we can aim for.

As we're 9 points away from the current split zone, 7 games to play, of which 2 are the OF, so dead rubbers. Out the rest, 3 are 6 pointers against fellow strugglers and 2 are with top 6 residents.

It would take an extraordinary run. Livi, St Mirren and Hibs will pick up at least 5/6 so we need 15 from 21 to be even in the mix. So beat everyone outside the OF ..... very big ask after whats went before it. Need a Jack n' Victor style run ..... but maybe.

• Kilmarnock (A)
  • Ross County (A)
  • Hunnorum (H)
  • Hibs (A)
  • Livi (H)
  • Dundee United (H)
  • Celtic (A)