Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

“Stuart impressed the board, not only with how he has got the team going in the last two games against St Mirren and Hearts, but with his vision for the club,” Chairman Jim McMahon said. 

Did they just replace Steven and St Johnstone from the August press release?

Seriously though I think it's the right move at this stage. A good start and hopefully continues into next season.

I'd be surprised if the delay till today was much more than agreeing how long it would run. I have a feeling the board wanted till the end of the season and he wanted a bit of commitment. I may be wrong but that's what my gut tells me.

Stage 2 - Competent assistant to add candour and insight and a first team coach do the donkey work behind the scenes please.

Stage 3 - Continue Sean Goss redemption arc (2023 version), surround Butcher in cotton wool between games and give a wee turn to McKinstry and Tierney who did f**k all wrong in the last few months.

Stage 4 - Sign up the good guys, release the dross, recruit better than we have done this summer.

#bitogrey

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

He's an absolute patter factory - but I like him and I think it's a sensible appointment given how delicate everything still is. 

Aye.

As I said the other day. it's closer to us appointing Robinson post-McGhee than it is Hammell post-Alexander IMO.

I think most of us would probably have preferred a deal to the summer and see how it goes but as @RandomGuy. mentioned earlier in the thread that kind of ties your hands when it comes to planning. Not even just recruitment but if we're offering contracts to someone like MJ it feels a tougher sell if we don't know who the manager is after summer.

I'm not sure a lot of the "wHy dOn'T tHeY wAiT..." crowd realise how stretched we are in terms of staff at the moment. It didn't go unnoticed by me that Kettlewell hit the point re: staff and structure pretty early on in that interview.

Short term it feels like the right choice vs. bringing an external candidate in and hoping they hit the ground running.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm not sure a lot of the "wHy dOn'T tHeY wAiT..." crowd realise how stretched we are in terms of staff at the moment. It didn't go unnoticed by me that Kettlewell hit the point re: staff and structure pretty early on in that interview.

Would 5 days made a huge difference to this to get another game under his belt?

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Short term it feels like the right choice vs. bringing an external candidate in and hoping they hit the ground running.

100%

22 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

18 months not a massive shock - you'd hope there's a relegation break clause but given it says we're recruiting to replace him you do wonder.

If relegated, Kettlewell knows how to win that division, as a player and a manager. 

Edited by bunglebonce

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In 5 days time we have no chief executive.

I don't know how much Flao has been involved with him moving to a rival on Monday, I'd hope a very minor one in the circumstances. I think final say on a manager is from McMahon anyway regardless of the illusion some have.

Don't get me wrong, if you said to anyone a week ago 6 points from a possible 9 most of us would have bitten hands off for that so I don't know what Killie would cement, the lions share of what was needed was done by Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Kapowzer