Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ross' team was not perfect, but I think the internal machinations of the club ultimately did for him. They've gone through a power of staff.

I think it's on record (somewhere) that Ron Gordon admitted he made a mistake in emptying Ross.

FWIW; I do think, and have always thought, that Ross is a good manager. United and Alloa aside, which I'm willing to overlook for the context of them both, he's had a win rate around 50%, which is... pretty good? Drew too many at Sunderland, didn't win enough 'big games' at Hibernian, arguably, smashed the championship to bits with his St. Mirren side.

Good manager.

The Alloa figure is misleading. We had a great team that had broken up under Danny Lennon in the summer of 2015 and Lennon did a really bad rebuild. We were bottom of the Championship when he left in December and Ross inherited a shambles. He quickly realised this and made the team much harder to beat (while also shrinking our park for the 2nd half of the season). It wasn't pretty but we picked up a lot more points, drawing twice with Rangers and beating Hibs, and went down with a respectable enough tally. 

He then put the park back to the normal dimensions and built a new side which started the season on fire, winning the first 10 games. We were scoring loads of goals and the team so full of confidence. We knocked ICT and County out of the League Cup (they were both in the Premier at the time) and then held the invincibles Celtic team at Parkhead for 83 minutes. It was so impressive that we couldn't keep him and off to St Mirren he went. The win ratio is low because of the shite in inherited, but in less than a calender year he had two Alloa sides of wildly different capabilites and playing different styles as such, but getting so much out of them both. Players loved playing for him. He left Jim Goodwin a cracking team and between that and St Mirren, Goodwin owes him a fair bit for his own success as a manager.  

I thought Ross would go on and be a huge success elsewhere and St Mirren was very impressive. Sunderland wasn't bad given the huge mess he took on and I do think he was making progress and would have got there with time, time he wasn't going to get. Hibs overall pretty good, with a few notable failures in big games. That's perhaps a recurring feature. 

United obviously catastrophic, I don't know what went so badly wrong. His greatest asset I think is getting people on board and filling them with confidence. At United he very clearly didn't get people on board. 

Next job will probably make or break him now. Don't know if Motherwell is the right one or is he the right man for Motherwell, but still believe he is far better than the vast majority of managers in Scotland and that he can still do well somewhere. 

Edited by Waspie

5 hours ago, Waspie said:

United obviously catastrophic, I don't know what went so badly wrong. His greatest asset I think is getting people on board and filling them with confidence. At United he very clearly didn't get people on board. 

Rumours i heard were it was simply Mulgrew and Watt he didnt get on with. Mulgrew because he wanted him to concentrate on playing, not coaching, and he just didnt bond with Watt at all, which doesnt seem hard.

2 big influences in the dressing room against him from the start.

Hes spoken about not managing again and preferring to be a DOF.

53 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rumours i heard were it was simply Mulgrew and Watt he didnt get on with. Mulgrew because he wanted him to concentrate on playing, not coaching, and he just didnt bond with Watt at all, which doesnt seem hard.

2 big influences in the dressing room against him from the start.

Hes spoken about not managing again and preferring to be a DOF.

Given how woefully short of staff we are I wouldn't be averse to having him as our DoF...but in the circumstances running before we can walk etc.

I would always love to know the thought process when these guys turn us down, as speculated with Lambert.

As much as you can point to Ross' previous success, you can also make a reasonable case against him as manager which will surely stop much bigger fish than us taking a punt on him. 

Is he so scarred by United he doesn't want to manage again, does he's above us or we're a basket case etc? A shame we'll never know!

Holloway is a pass for me.  Also, as an aside rather than a decision maker, bringing in someone that the English media have a bit of a love in with would bring attention I don’t think we really need right now. 

McCann is interesting, my only concern would be whether he could hit the ground running. As others have said, were this pre season he’d probably be my choice. 

I’ve been impressed with how Kettlewell has come across, and it’ll be interesting to see how he sets up on Sunday. Not convinced the board will be seriously considering him right enough for all the reasons mentioned by others. 

I asked my Grimsby-supporting friend about Ian Holloway.
He sat on the fence, I'm not really sure he's got a strong opinion either way...

Jesus mate avoid like the plague. He systematically ruined our club, we went out the league and he potentially was getting into bed with a criminal with some dodgy money. Without a doubt the worst manager I've ever witnessed

Oh feck.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I would always love to know the thought process when these guys turn us down, as speculated with Lambert.

There is probably less than meets the eye to managers deciding they don't want the job - it likely happens at the precise point that their playing budget is written down on a piece of paper by the Board.

Edited by Swello

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

There is probably less than meets the eye to managers deciding they don't want the job - it likely happens at the precise point that their playing budget is written down on a piece of paper by the Board.

"I can sign Zorro???

Oh sorry, your handwriting isn't very clear"

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Possibly...but with Ross he must realise his next stop is either really low down the food chain in England or a Motherwell, Killie etc. If he wants to manage with a higher budget he'll need to prove he's worth it with a lower one next.

26 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

From not knowing who he is, I’d prefer McCann to Holloway. 

Yep. I think the last thing we need for this and next season is to have a side show of a manager. I'm hoping this is the "experienced manager" box that was ticked alongside "suitable candidate from lower league england" and "knows the Scottish game" in our perfect shortlist.

Not manager related but a relation of mine works for a company who’s owner has apparently made an approach to the club to invest . Part of a consortium involving American funders and two local businessman (one being his boss)

no reason not to believe him but make of it what you will