Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The Sun reporting Wright is the boards first choice. 
Appointing a guy who was appointed to save Killie and failed to do it would be incredibly on brand for this board. 

I suspect this can be filed under red top quoting ex SPFL Manager as candidate shocker. Replace Wright with any number of Managers and go with it. Would be surprised if this was remotely true. 

If Kettlewell gets a result or two in the next two games he should be given to end of season. Anyone who can get this team to perform should be rightly lauded as it seems beyond even the best magicians in the world let alone Managers. 

From that interview;   "All that work was done before... My job is to see if I can get a reaction maybe by having a different voice, by maybe asking one or two different aspects of the game, whether that's a change of shape or however that might fall."

"...similar group of players to what played on Saturday."

Goss and SODs are staying on the team sheet lads.

56 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The Sun reporting Wright is the boards first choice. 
Appointing a guy who was appointed to save Killie and failed to do it would be incredibly on brand for this board. 

Nice touch by his agent to put in the "has to be persuaded" line so that it doesn't look like we passed on him when it turns out he wasn't in contention. 

If Wright was going to get the job it should have been when Robinson left. In fact, I was convinced it was his job. The fact he took Killie straight down and was struggling to get them back up should be just enough of a concern for us to paperclip his application to McPake’s in a folder marked ‘Recently achieved what we are desperately trying to avoid’. Literally a Brian Rice tabloid shout away from relegation bingo.

Based on the fact the last manager we brought in with any Scottish experience (outside of McGhee MK2) was tommy McLean in '84 (I think), and the that only 2 current premier league managers have managed other teams in the division, Tommy Wright is exactly the left field candidate we're looking for. A total shift in how we do things, which is exactly what we're all crying out for. Cool.

5 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Based on the fact the last manager we brought in with any Scottish experience (outside of McGhee MK2) was tommy McLean in '84 (I think), and the that only 2 current premier league managers have managed other teams in the division, Tommy Wright is exactly the left field candidate we're looking for. A total shift in how we do things, which is exactly what we're all crying out for. Cool.

I’m sure the last one with top league experience was Bobby Watson.

I'd have been happy with Wright when we appointed Alexander, having seen him completely screw it at Killie from an identical position...no thanks.

But I do acknowledge there's never an obvious candidate for Motherwell and some element of the support is guaranteed to be unhappy. The alternative to picking someone who has failed is picking a novice and there's near universal agreement that's not the path to take.

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Don’t get the anti Wright stuff. Worked miracles at Sainties. Taking McPake over him would be very high risk, insanity I’d say, and he’s in a different class to Hughes, no?

My man he took Kilmarnock down from a similar position and was making an arse of getting them promoted again. The fact we're considering him now is utterly inexplicable.

As for Hughes & McPake? f**k no.

I had concerns about Wright the last time when it was apparently between him and Alexander.

Basically my main reservation was that for all he had success with St Johnstone it was at a club he had already been in the building at when he got the job, it was established over time and his 7 years or whatever it was had been at one club.

Essentially he had no real experience of being dropped into a new dressing room and positively changing the "culture" which was the job that was being asked after the players had downed tools under Robinson and tbh, everything points to it being a similar situation now.

The fact that he managed to relegate Killie from the position he did while Alexander helped us climb the table to a comfortable 8th suggests that there was more to our choice than just the beard/All Saints/skinny jeans combo that got Eric Nicolson wildly bent out of shape.

It kind of makes me wonder whether it's been Burrows who has been steering things in that respect.

I mean, I'd not be entirely surprised if we leaned "experience" with this hire and it's not a shock in any way to read that it's a short term deal we're looking to offer.

I'd just have thought that we'd maybe not exactly be sold on a guy who got Killie relegated from an almost identical position as we're in now.

Edited by capt_oats

I can see there are lots of people we ('we' as in The 'All-Powerful-Thread-Mind') are ruling out... 

Is it all of them?
Is there anyone we'd actually like to have?

We're going to have to rely on some left-field candidate dropping in from nowhere and actually being surprisingly brilliant/average/lucky, aren't we?