Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As bad as things are obviously our current situation (relegation) makes things look even more doomed than we are and in the 6-12 months the way the club has been run is extremely disappointing. We are a community club and it’s amazing to do these things away from the pitch but most importantly it’s what happens on the pitch that should and always will matter. 

Have no great opinion of Burrows but this move does come across pretty snakey especially when he’s supposed to be in charge until a replacement is found which most likely won’t be the case and the jump to a team just slightly bigger than us isn’t exactly striking a major step up for him. I liked certain things with regards to his fan communication on social media (although it does bring out the Motherwell roastsrs) but he is basically a fan who’s done a decent job but someone like him shouldn’t have been in charge of transfers etc. even though he did bring in a record transfer fee but that was hardly surprising with turnbulls talent. 

Certainly not a good look for the club though and the communication recently from club to especially well society members on these matters has been poor. Again though this may not be the worst thing to happen and we get someone new in with fresh ideas and competent at the job.

13 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Maybe see Stephen Robinson pitch up at Aberdeen now.

Robinson's whole bit when he left was that he'd taken us as far as he could and he wasn't too subtle in effectively saying that an Aberdeen type of club would be his ideal job.

Don't get me wrong, I'd imagine his CV was sent as soon as the 6th went in at Easter Road anyway but it'd be less of a surprise if he actually got the job now.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I've been wracking my brains for a plausible explanation for our gutless, talentless, shiftless performance at Pittodrie on Saturday, and there you go.

All I need to do now is explain the previous few dozen gutless, talentless, shiftless performances everywhere else.

It appears Arbroath are the only ones not in the market for a CEO?

After we knew Alan Burrows was away that was kind of it for me in that if he’s not here it really doesn’t matter where he’s away to. We have a role to fill here and that’s the focus. 

Bit of chat earlier about the board, the make up of the board etc. Fwiw I have a bit of sympathy (or at least understanding) for the board at a level like ours. By and large (this isn’t specific to the board at any given time btw) it’s made up of people who have been successful in business, and this is good because like it or not a football club is a business, but they’re not spending their life focusing on football. Where I think the issue with a club of our size comes in is that when a manager (or chief scout or whatever) comes to the board and says “I’ve found this player, he’ll cost X, how about it”, with the best will in the world none of the board members have the time to study the team as it is, watch hours of footage of (let’s face it) lower English league players, and decide whether it’s a good decision to sign them or not. All they can really do is decide on backing the manager or not.  I think this is a pretty unique situation to clubs of our size - bigger clubs and the board have probably heard of more of the “targets” without research being required, and similarly at smaller clubs where a lot of players come from within Scotland there’s a fair chance the board will know what they’re dealing with. 

I think this is why I’m not totally against a director of football role in the right circumstances. Someone with the time/knowledge/expertise to stress test what a manager is asking for, but equally have the time to know/get to know the finances and other day to day decisions around the club so they can balance what’s needed v what’s being asked for v what’s realistically do-able.  However, I do understand that this is an idealised scenario (and doesn’t really get us any further forward in the here and now).

58 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

May I ask what did @wellboy1991 do different from me at the AGM? I listened to things that were said and put them down. I asked for and corrected any omissions and added in bits I overlooked or forgot. Yes it was a formal setting but I'm sure there are things discussed at it under candour that the board wouldn't like being widely reported and I think and of that stuff was left out by myself and others.

@wellboy1991 has a relationship with a player and he decided to share as it may shine a light on stuff most of us are oblivious of. Again first hand from someone directly affected and in the mix.

So you have to ask is @wellboy1991 lying? I got not a wiff of that and the soul searching before posting reinforces it. So the player, disgruntled or just fed up but definitely not happy and moved a distance from friends and family to advance his career and now in a relegation dogfight. Of course if he's not playing, out of favour, etc. it may taint his views but I'd argue that would be directed to personalities rather than facts.

Be careful not to shoot those who shine a light @eliphas, how others choose to use it or twist it has zero to do with what the original poster and their motives. The and I'd hate to think others would think twice, that is censorship and that for me is bullshit.

My reply was to @capt_oats specific post and saying "As I said the other day I’m not sure it even matters if @wellboy1991’s post is or isn’t true." rather than any comment on @wellboy1991 original bit of news.

But in general, I've got no problem with anyone reporting what they hear - whether that's in a formal setting (e.g. AGM) or from an off the record chat (e.g. driveway/pub etc). I myself obviously have taken a couple of things to this board that I found out about off the record. What I'm trying to say is we need to be careful how all of that is taken and consider it when it's posted that's all. When I say 'Being careful what you say, and responsible' - that does not equal censorship.

In my opinion, there's a responsibility on the original reporter to be accurate, and to caveat anything properly, knowing that it's a public forum and that people will use it out of context. Sometimes that means not posting something (again...to reiterate not meaning you or wellboy1991 here). There is also a huge responsibility on those who read it  and comment to not casually present it as fact either. That's when things snowball and can impact people personally and maybe unfairly. 

Edited by eliphas

44 minutes ago, supermarv said:

the jump to a team just slightly bigger than us isn’t exactly striking a major step up for him.

Maybe he enjoys the CEO job, enjoys working in Scotland, but stopped enjoying working for the club he supports?

Virtually doing the same job, for likely more money, and less personal pressure due to having less of a connection to his employers wouldnt be the worst thing for someone to do?

Burrows and Robinson to Aberdeen could be funny. Both guys who have done good jobs and are valued by their clubs, but are way way overvalued from those outside looking in. 

Some interesting mental gymnastics going on with the burrows one though, particularly since him leaving was old news.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe he enjoys the CEO job, enjoys working in Scotland, but stopped enjoying working for the club he supports?

Virtually doing the same job, for likely more money, and less personal pressure due to having less of a connection to his employers wouldnt be the worst thing for someone to do?

This. Unless I won the lottery and just bought the whole thing, I could never work for motherwell. It would suck the life right out of me and I'd end up hating us after reading about 2 tweets. At least if I was a rich owner I could disappear people.

8 minutes ago, eliphas said:

My reply was to @capt_oats specific post and saying "As I said the other day I’m not sure it even matters if @wellboy1991’s post is or isn’t true." rather than any comment on @wellboy1991 original bit of news.

But in general, I've got no problem with anyone reporting what they hear - whether that's in a formal setting (e.g. AGM) or from an off the record chat (e.g. driveway/pub etc). I myself obviously have taken a couple of things to this board that I found out about off the record. What I'm trying to say is we need to be careful how all of that is taken and consider it when it's posted that's all. When I say 'Being careful what you say, and responsible' - that does not equal censorship.

In my opinion, there's a responsibility on the original reporter to be accurate, and to caveat anything properly, knowing that it's a public forum and that people will use it out of context. Sometimes that means not posting something (again...to reiterate not meaning you or wellboy1991 here). There is also a huge responsibility on those who read it  and comment to not casually present it as fact either. That's when things snowball and can impact people personally and maybe unfairly. 

Yeah and you pulled me up on referencing it too without consulting the original source. Have you since went back to find it to check all the caveats are there? Because I think he covered all bases.

Again, @wellboy1991 should not and can not be held responsible with what others with an agenda do to his words.

I'm sure he did a lot more soul searching and considered how posting it could compromise his relationship. I feel confident at least as much if not more than when you share your repeated tip bits from the boardroom.

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

This. Unless I won the lottery and just bought the whole thing, I could never work for motherwell. It would suck the life right out of me and I'd end up hating us after reading about 2 tweets. At least if I was a rich owner I could disappear people.

You'd miss Walmart and BBQ's too

8 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Yeah and you pulled me up on referencing it too without consulting the original source. Have you since went back to find it to check all the caveats are there? Because I think he covered all bases.

Again, @wellboy1991 should not and can not be held responsible with what others with an agenda do to his words.

I'm sure he did a lot more soul searching and considered how posting it could compromise his relationship. I feel confident at least as much if not more than when you share your repeated tip bits from the boardroom.

💯 spot on. 

I tried to keep it as straight forward as possible. Don’t want to labour the point but certainly won’t be posting any info I might hear any time soon.