Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

44 minutes ago, supermarv said:

For me and it’s been brought to attention by others so far. Heard similar regards to training without knowing full details but it all starts to make sense with Hammells “ego” and by the way we are playing it has shown this season. His inexperience is killing us it’s just pure youth coaching all about “performances” which we can’t even do now, as each game goes on the level of effort from the players is clearly getting worse and worse as if they aren’t playing for the manager. 

A man with any self respect to this club, he’d do the right thing and accept he’s not upto the job. Let someone else come in and take the hit for going down (if we do) and keep intact his legend status as such as this is clearly not working out.

Self respect is great, but mortgages are a b*****d.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

The talk about Hammell getting "help" from an experienced figure of some sort is interesting as the most animated that he got at the AGM was when that was put to him from the floor. The reaction was understandable of course as it's a bit embarrassing, but in justifying it he mentioned that bringing someone in is just a step to giving that person the managers job - which at the time felt like a very clear reference to Robinson/McGhee. From all that, I took it that it was a "red line" and he'd be offski if it happened.

Tbh, it's this realisation that nudged me from a vague "I hope he turns it around" position to "absolutely f**k that guy".

Generally speaking, good managers delegate (I guess that's true in industries other than football too). Identify your strengths and acknowledge your weaknesses. If something's not working then explore options to find a fucking solution.

Instead, before the board sanctioned signing The January 9, we had months of Hammell's "we need to do better. Defensively not good enough" chat but zero solutions just doubling down on the same shape and running a team into the ground.

Aside from the fact that improving the players is literally his job (and one he's broadly been failing at) ruling out getting help in on a self-preservation basis and making it a red-line is a weird move because, you know what actually keeps you in a job Steven? Winning games of football.

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Just dawned on me that the last time I saw us win in the flesh was the 11th May v Hearts. 

Season ticket holder but with a new born so miss most away games now and had to miss the Livi home win and league cup win v ICT. 

Grim.

I made this point the other day - there will be loads of people in the same boat - we won at Pittodrie, Tannadice and midweek in Dingwall - what percentage of our support saw those - pretty small I'd guess. It's basically been a year of incredibly poor stuff at Fir Park and that will cause infinitely more discontent than getting rinsed at Tynecastle and Parkhead every other week.

2 hours ago, Blink182 said:

I was born the year we won the cup so always want to see us win the cup. 

Is it not traditional that our cup winning captain should be despised by fans? If so this team might just be perfect candidates. A Lambie header in the final minute at Hampden, just in time to offer him a lifetime contract.  

Boyd was popular when we won the cup and when he went to Chelsea. It was when he went to Celtic things started to turn sour. Anyway, is Kelly not the captain?

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

I made this point the other day - there will be loads of people in the same boat - we won at Pittodrie, Tannadice and midweek in Dingwall - what percentage of our support saw those - pretty small I'd guess. It's basically been a year of incredibly poor stuff at Fir Park and that will cause infinitely more discontent than getting rinsed at Tynecastle and Parkhead every other week.

"Grezza" would still be in a job I'd he'd taken 2 points at home to Rangers instead of going unbeaten at Ibrox.

In the same discussion Swello references there was mention of a Director of Football and he said something along the lines of "if it was in place before I was appointed fair enough as I'd have taken the job knowing that, if after, absolutely not".

I've never understood the role if I'm honest, I think its to offer continuity and strategy? Naturally managers are replaced with head coaches as the DoF is responsible for strategy and continuity when the coaches have a higher turnover.

It adds an extra layer of bureaucracy but does allow the coach to concentrate on enhancing the on field product. But all he'd do at Motherwell is speak to someone instead of Flao about who he thinks we need/target. Granted in the case of Stevie its soley strikers and wingers. Also plenty of managers won't accept any erosion of the traditional role so may not be interested.

I don't think a club of our size can justify a Chief Exec, a DoF and a head coach. Plainly because even though he's off soon, Flao wouldn't accept his current remit eaten in to.

Edited by Kapowzer

The DoF thing is interesting because it's clear that managers simply don't run clubs like Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean did any more - and nor can they, it'd be insane to try.

So the question is, do you think that extra layer is worth the money or do you trust someone (in our case Flow) who's not a football person with the overall football strategy?

Theoretically I would prefer a football person there but the skills for this are many, varied and not easily picked up by the average player. So getting a good one would cost a packet and there's only slightly more guarantee they'd hang around longer than the manager anyway...

Had we given it to Lasley I'd have been happy but generally speaking for us I think we can middle through (usually!) without the expense of someone who's far from guaranteed to be a long-term success.

19 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

And Josh Morris got a hattrick in Sligo

Being semi-serious, when it was still 0-0 against Sligo, Morris was presented with a great opportunity to score on his right foot. However, he spent so long getting back on to his left and got tackled. I wonder how different things would've been had he just swung his right boot at that. 

Don't get me wrong the Norwegian (I think) mob would have beaten us in the next round and we'd have ultimately been watching the same dross squad playing abject football and failing to get results. But I wonder if he'd lasted another month or two if our recruitment of a new manager might have been a bit more fruitful.

Pretty hypothetical right enough, considering it didn't happen 😀

I think we place a lot of emphasis often unfairly on footballing experience. The vast majority of great managers had mediocre footballing careers and a few pretty much zero beyond amateur but rose through the ranks. The issue is the guys with zero gain little respect from the players they get their first gig with because it comes back to an arrogance of this "football experience" thing.

For example if we did the inevitable today and got a new guy in for Raith, came in with playing amateur but decent managerial record I have no doubt guys like Bin-Lamie would be like "who's this c**t?'".

To suggest that the plebs don't know or are ball watchers, yeah for many yeah but while not living the life most of us take in 60 games a season among our own, Scotland, Champions League, English Premiership. that's 90 hours which is 2 working weeks of watching football a year.

However it doesn't take a 20 year career and 500 senior appearances for any teams for 90% of our fans could see we were deficient in a number of positions, can't understand starting line ups and raging at coming out every week for more of the same.

But Hammy and the wealth of coaching backup he has at the club with all that football background puts out un unbalanced team, lacking in spirit, direction or any sort of plan.

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Being semi-serious, when it was still 0-0 against Sligo, Morris was presented with a great opportunity to score on his right foot. However, he spent so long getting back on to his left and got tackled. I wonder how different things would've been had he just swung his right boot at that. 

Don't get me wrong the Norwegian (I think) mob would have beaten us in the next round and we'd have ultimately been watching the same dross squad playing abject football and failing to get results. But I wonder if he'd lasted another month or two if our recruitment of a new manager might have been a bit more fruitful.

Pretty hypothetical right enough, considering it didn't happen 😀

Sliding doors stuff Joe

Mitchel van der Gaag could be sitting in the Poppinjay at present scoffing at being told he could have been Manchester United assistant manager if he didn't come to us and get a 6th, 8th and 9th finishes.

(obv Poppinjay didn't burn down)

Just now, Yoshi-91 said:

Talking of which, wtf is the script with that place? Always seem to be having issues. Bad management I suppose. 

I'd say as its a smouldering ruin maybe not maintaining sprinklers would be classed as bad management Yoshi.

Or launching the match for the insurance payout is good management ........ 

#allegedly

3 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

I'd say as its a smouldering ruin maybe not maintaining sprinklers would be classed as bad management Yoshi.

#allegedly

It was just the gym and pool area that went on fire - the actual hotel is still open but yeah.....many poor management choices over the year, pretty much since one former Rangers captain got involved. 

11 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

We are not winning the Scottish Cup 2022/23

1262124340_tenor(1).gif.005aad6e10d462f33c9da148dd38e656.gif

I think most of us know this. 
But if we somehow manage to beat Raith and then are lucky enough to draw winners of Darvel v Falkirk or Ayr v Elgin we have a more than decent chance of getting to a semi final as bizarre as that may be. 
Unless things change - either the Manager or the team performances or better yet both then an extra few hundred grand May come in handy next season in the Championship. 

8 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

#allegedly

From what I understood it was only the spa that was affected by it. I could be wrong though. Its not their first issue recently either. They seem to have trouble retaining staff to the point where they were only open part time at one point. I heard the most recently issue was something to do with pluming. I guess that then alludes to your second point lol.... #allegedly 

I do realize we are going waaaaaay off topic. 

Edited by Yoshi-91