Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I’m merely reiterating what was reported earlier in the thread from within the dressing room. If you don’t like that it’s one thing but doesn’t mean there’s no shrewd of truth.

I maybe missed that original post you are referring to so fair enough. The way it read was you saying it for the first time.

In general I just think it's too easy to take something said by one person on a thread online, repeat it a couple of times and it becomes fact. But that for me applies to the whole bloody internet (and is why I got rid of the likes of Facebook and Twitter long ago).

Similarly with the whole poor training thing which seems to be gaining traction with a number of posters now from one original post.

I saw Max Johnstone on the main street here yesterday late afternoon. Should have collared him and asked him. Haha 

I've heard enough moaning in my time about training from all over.  Usually it means the players are actually put through their paces, and tbh looking at the bunch of lazy c***s we have, they should be doing treble sessions on every non-match day... with at least one of the sessions them being treated like 7 year olds doing basic passing and moving drills.

Edited by Antiochas III

I mean, I agree that an anonymous post on a fitba' forum doesn't prove anything but it terms of eye-test...do we *look* like a well coached team atm?

• Players don't look like they know what they're supposed to be doing
  • The team doesn't seem to have a clear plan
  • Persistent defensive issues haven't been fixed
  • Players seem unmotivated 
  • Massive regressions individually and collectively as a team
  • Zero improvements in player performance

I think most of us have seen well coached Motherwell sides and this...isn't one.

Tbh, there's an echo of where we are just now and McGhee's 2nd season of his 2nd stint where, ironically, there were also persisting rumours about training. The story went that because McGhee was commuting it meant training was being taken largely by McFadden (who also had zero first team coaching experience) and a handful of the senior players.

Edited by capt_oats

They're all mostly in the 24-30 year old range.  What training should they be doing that tells them to pass a ball to a person in the same colours as themselves (that isn't sitting in the stands)?  

There was one pass at the weekend that was a 5 yarder, no defenders within touching distance of either player and the pass missed it's target by about 5 yards🤦‍♂️

And if there is murmours from the players, unless they've put in 7 or 8s out of 10 every week on the park they need to shut the f**k up and start blaming themselves and not training, or lack thereof.

Edited by Antiochas III

10 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

They're all mostly in the 24-30 year old range.  What training should they be doing that tells them to pass a ball to a person in the same colours as themselves (that isn't sitting in the stands)?  

There was one pass at the weekend that was a 5 yarder, no defenders within touching distance of either player and the pass missed it's target by about 5 yards🤦‍♂️

And if there is murmours from the players, unless they've put in 7 or 8s out of 10 every week on the park they need to shut the f**k up and start blaming themselves and not training, or lack thereof.

Literally all of that screams of a team devoid of confidence, which is massive at this level and can make decent players look shit/great dependent on it.

Not everyone responds well to a bollocking and managing individuals well is why folk like McInnes and TW were able to hold onto success for so long.

You need the manager to instill confidence in the players, in themselves and confidence in him, during these runs. If he cant manage that then he needs to get players in to lift spirits/spread confidence by being confident and doing 'hings on the park and hope that works. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Literally all of that screams of a team devoid of confidence, which is massive at this level and can make decent players look shit/great dependent on it.

Not everyone responds well to a bollocking and managing individuals well is why folk like McInnes and TW were able to hold onto success for so long.

You need the manager to instill confidence in the players, in themselves and confidence in him, during these runs. If he cant manage that then he needs to get players in to lift spirits/spread confidence by being confident and doing 'hings on the park and hope that works. 

Some of these players are onto their third, and likely to be fourth manager soon...  when do you decide it's the player cannot be fixed for this level. 

And I'm certain being bollocked isn't the issue - when at the same time you have fans moaning  Hammell doesn't shout like a madman on the sidelines.  

If we don't change now with someone who can man manage, is tactically aware and can fire a rocket up some backsides. We are going to suffer the consequences and quite possibly for years to come. 

IMHO SH is unable to set up tactically with the players we have and actually makes set ups and formations worse during game time. 

It was a step too quickly in his career and it's obvious he isn't ready at this level. 

Regardless of sanctioning new players. We won't improve enough if we are rudderless in leadership and our preparation. 

The spotlight falls squarely on MFC directors. Help him or replace him. 

Time is running out. 

5 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Some of these players are onto their third, and likely to be fourth manager soon...  when do you decide it's the player cannot be fixed for this level. 

Depends what players youre on about?

6 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

IMHO SH is unable to set up tactically with the players we have and actually makes set ups and formations worse during game time. 

It was a step too quickly in his career and it's obvious he isn't ready at this level. 

I agree with this assessment.

6 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

The spotlight falls squarely on MFC directors. Help him or replace him. 

You could argue the board/directors have done just that.  They've given him nine new players in January.  That, to me, suggests they're giving Hammell time to try and turn this around.  I've said already, but I believe he gets the games in February (minimum) to show everyone he can get a tune from his team.  If it goes wrong, then we're scrambling about for a new guy in March hoping for a miracle.   It's a massive risk.  

You need to remember that this is the same board of directors that gave the job to Baraclough over Van Der Gaag because he turned up to his interview in a tracksuit.

My faith in this board of directors is somewhat lacking. 

19 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

You need to remember that this is the same board of directors that gave the job to Baraclough over Van Der Gaag because he turned up to his interview in a tracksuit.

I mean, it's not.

The board of directors when Bara got the job was: McMahon, Weir, McCafferty, Reid, Kellie, Thomas and Hutchison.

Current BoD is: Burrows, Dickie, Feely, McMahon and Wilson. 

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, it's not.

The board of directors when Bara got the job was: McMahon, Weir, McCafferty, Reid, Kelly, Thomas and Hutchison.

Current BoD is: Burrows, Dickie, Feely, McMahon and Wilson. 

Ok, let me reposition that - I don't trust McMahon as a decision maker, from comments from people who've attended AGMs and dealt with him in person, I've got real concerns about his abilities. 

McMahon might be the chairman but he isn't the only decision maker, it's always been a collective board of, let's remember, essentially Motherwell fans doing this in their retired/spare time (except Alan B of course) making the  decisions via adult conversation. That's not an excuse for any decisions made etc it's just a reality I think a lot of people forget. 

Without an actual owner calling the shots we're more akin to a golf club committee than a company run football club with paid execs experienced in the game sitting in the building 9-5 etc. Not a particularly good thing when things go to shit but not uncommon obviously with the size of club we have.

Edited by eliphas

27 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Ok, let me reposition that - I don't trust McMahon as a decision maker, from comments from people who've attended AGMs and dealt with him in person, I've got real concerns about his abilities. 

Actually, I don't think Hutchison was officially on the board at that point although IIRC he was involved in Bara's appointment. So my mistake there.

Anyway, aye, I definitely have questions as to whether this board of directors have it in them to do what's necessary.

It's also part of the reason that, while he's obviously a current board member, I'm absolutely fucking terrified about Burrows stepping down as once you take him out the equation it's literally just a bunch of old dudes.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Actually, I don't think Hutchison was officially on the board at that point although IIRC he was involved in Bara's appointment. So my mistake there.

Anyway, aye, I definitely have questions as to whether this board of directors have it in them to do what's necessary.

It's also part of the reason that, while he's obviously a current board member, I'm absolutely fucking terrified about Burrows stepping down as once you take him out the equation it's literally just a bunch of old dudes.

Aye, I kind of agree, and I know it's tongue in cheek probably, but we shouldn't discount them on age tbh.

McMahon and Feely are over 70 but Dickie (and Wilson) are early 60s.

They are all well experienced and successful businessmen in their own right so know how to make a decision. Wether that translates to football decisions is a different story obviously.

Ideally we'd have some younger people on the board but the challenge is it's an unsalaried pretty stressful (at times) position.  Not a lot of people in their 40s/50s kicking about with the experience who want to or have the time to do it 

Alan's replacement will be a full time salaried employee with you would hope some football club experience and sit on the board. To me that's the hugely important position to fill. 

45 minutes ago, Desp said:

You could argue the board/directors have done just that.  They've given him nine new players in January.  That, to me, suggests they're giving Hammell time to try and turn this around.  I've said already, but I believe he gets the games in February (minimum) to show everyone he can get a tune from his team.  If it goes wrong, then we're scrambling about for a new guy in March hoping for a miracle.   It's a massive risk.  

I agree the directors are trying to help with the additional 9 players. 

I know certain players could make a difference and pull us out a hole. 

However, I just have the feeling that SH inexperience will nullify all of the above. 

It appears the Directors had to Stick or twist. I believe they are sticking. 

Sorry to say, I believe this is a mistake for Motherwell FC, Stevie Hammell and all Directors that approved his appointment. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

11 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

There's a board meeting in The Clansman this afternoon.

14607482-low_res-still-game-s8-e1520493278280.jpg

Winston      Victor     Shug       Tam

Jack

Board meeting? If they're all available on free's outwith the window I'd be happy enough to get them in and go with these lads at the back on Saturday.