Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Johnson Blaney Casey Furlong

Butcher Danzaki Slattery

defence and midfield going forward, Bin Lamie, O'Donnell and Mcginn, almost a completely fresh slate in terms of players. Might see a return to confidence of Kelly as well

I definitely get the desire to bin and replace those, believe me.

However both Johnston and Furlong are young and relatively inexperienced, particularly in Furlong's case. We've also got a recent history of hanging our full backs out to dry with our style.

As much as it pains me, I'd persist with Lamie and play a 5-3-2 with Casey, Blaney and Lamie as the 3 CBs (NOTE: ACTUAL CBs TO PLAY THIS FORMATION). Then Johnston and Furlong as the wing backs. Doesn't leave them as exposed with the back three and lets them get forward which I think is probably both of their strengths, admittedly I've barely seen Furlong.

It's not great and it's certainly not what I'd like to put out, but nothing about this situation is good. I just see it as trying to cobble together a workable team until the end of the season and hopefully staying in the league.

9 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

I definitely get the desire to bin and replace those, believe me.

However both Johnston and Furlong are young and relatively inexperienced, particularly in Furlong's case. We've also got a recent history of hanging our full backs out to dry with our style.

As much as it pains me, I'd persist with Lamie and play a 5-3-2 with Casey, Blaney and Lamie as the 3 CBs (NOTE: ACTUAL CBs TO PLAY THIS FORMATION). Then Johnston and Furlong as the wing backs. Doesn't leave them as exposed with the back three and lets them get forward which I think is probably both of their strengths, admittedly I've barely seen Furlong.

It's not great and it's certainly not what I'd like to put out, but nothing about this situation is good. I just see it as trying to cobble together a workable team until the end of the season and hopefully staying in the league.

Probably this, aye. Ideally stick Lamie in the middle of the back 3 with instructions to do the simple thing. Anything that means he doesn't get pulled out wide where I still have nightmares about his stint at left back.

19 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

definitely a terrorist

13 minutes ago, weemac said:

More specifically a suicide bomber judging by our defensive performances.

Worst. Terrorist group. Ever.

Only capable of blowing holes in our own defences and Ricki Lamie's long range missiles never hit their targets.

Just bought my ticket for the Raith game, not really sure why.

Got me thinking, Saturday is probably a win-win situation. Win and we are through to the next round of the cup, lose and it forces the boards hand and they will be shamed into action. Sad state of affairs but this is the level of my thinking at the moment.

Looking at the fixtures, I'm trying to get my head round what the board's plan could be. They must have a cut off point in mind, even the most hardcore Hammell backers aren't going to continue to let him lose again and again.

Assuming we win on Saturday our next 4 fixtures are:

St Mirren (H) 15th Feb
Hearts (H) 19th Feb
Killie (A) 25th Feb
Ross County (A) 4th Mar

I would suggest a reasonable loss to St Mirren would be too much pressure for the board to handle but maybe he gets to the Hearts game at a stretch.

In either case I just hope we are all put out of our misery soon, the longer we hold off the harder it is going to be for someone new to be able to impact the situation. We are running out of games.

We need a vastly experienced manager in as soon as possible, solidify the defence so we stop leaking goals and if necessary shitfest until the end of the season. All going well, reassess in the summer and look again at what the club's medium to long term plan is as well as the mangerial situation. My view is that the club is at a bit of a crossroads here and needs a new plan to take us forward if we want to be able to remain competitive with the rest of the team's around us. This isn't as simply as having a bad season, this is a few years worth of failings and poor decision making.

The trigger needs to be pulled Saturday regardless IMO.

Ball rolling this week drawing up candidates, let him take the cup but the following 2 league games we can essentially write off. We need the new man in the door before the two must win away games. 

I just can't see Hammell being sacked this week, even if the worst happens on Saturday.  Also, the chat of getting papped out the cup by Raith Rovers being a "win", whatever your thoughts on the current manager's ability, is shite behaviour. 

I think the absolute earliest he'll get sacked is after Kilmarnock away (if we fail to win any of them).  You're not going to let him sign half a dozen players in the last few days of January and then sack him after the 2nd game of having them.  He'll five or six, minimum.  Who knows, he might turn it around with the new players up to speed.  Or maybe the board just can't afford to sack him if we're also still paying off GA. 

Just now, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

Come down to the championship. You’ll enjoy it.

My pal pointed out the other day that the upshot is we get to spend some time away from the bigot brothers. It does sounds quite nice to be fair.

Out of those fixtures, I would assume only dropping points to hearts should be. allowed.

We need to be winning at least SOME of our home games. The other 2 are against our relegation rivals..

Honestly, at this rate, we NEED to win those 3 games to atleast try and avoid the relegation spots

16 minutes ago, Desp said:

I just can't see Hammell being sacked this week, even if the worst happens on Saturday.  Also, the chat of getting papped out the cup by Raith Rovers being a "win", whatever your thoughts on the current manager's ability, is shite behaviour. 

I think the absolute earliest he'll get sacked is after Kilmarnock away (if we fail to win any of them).  You're not going to let him sign half a dozen players in the last few days of January and then sack him after the 2nd game of having them.  He'll five or six, minimum.  Who knows, he might turn it around with the new players up to speed.  Or maybe the board just can't afford to sack him if we're also still paying off GA. 

The only thing to speed up a departure is if this player revolt is a thing and snowballs.

That's a dressing room for 2.5 years now that's not been happy if the Robinson malaise, Alexander fallouts/tombola and general craziness, and now Hammell's half hearted training and reported division. It's like Ted Lasso.

What I'd give for a bit of nouse and getting 25 guys to pull in the same direction.