Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, Bigaldo said:

Tam Courts saying he wants back into management? Did well with Dundee Utd although I've accepted the best we could do is the playoffs and we could have almost a full new team next week I think SH has to accept he can't do the job with the players we have

He's a total banger who will jump ship at the earliest. No thanks. 

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

One really interesting point he has said to me before is how badly the club miss Lasley. Essentially he was the glue that kept everyone together on and off the pitch. Socially and footballing. Created a brilliant team spirit and was loved by all.  A proper captain even after retirement. 

I fucking love Keef. I was really gutted when he left.

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

eeing Goss, McGinn, SOD all have a shout at each other or other team mates after the goals shows some sort of passion...I suppose.

Goss lost his man then shouted at everyone else. I can't mind the other goals just now.

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Goss lost his man then shouted at everyone else. I can't mind the other goals just now.

Aye 100%. He seemed to be shouting at whoever let the cross come in. McGinn was shouting at the Brighton left back and SoD and McGinn were shouting at each other for the other goal.

51 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Slattery fell down (again), tried but failed to bring his man down - he had been on for 2 minutes at this stage - then the defence froze as they faced a runner with the ball, a simple pass, SOD fell down, a nice chip for the goal then a lot of pointing.

I've made peace with getting relegated. For a club our size, it's an inevitability at some stage and in our 37 years up here, bigger clubs than us have been relegated multiple times. There's obviously no guarantee we'd come straight back up, so my biggest gripe is probably that, being too young to remember 1991, that every man and their dug has won a trophy since then and I've still not seen us lift one.

Personally, I've become very apathetic towards it all and as much as I'm obviously still interested, I can feel myself regressing into an armchair fan and properly have to motivate myself to go out to games. 

Being entertained by a Motherwell team has been very scarce since probably around January 2020.

There's absolutely nothing about this team. No leaders, no characters, no dig, no players who seem that arsed.

I just find it sad that it's the man who's played the most games for us in this top flight era that's potentially going to take us out of it. Hammell is one of my all time favourite players and I can't help but think for everyone's sake, he just needs to be put out of his misery. 

I'm like a broken record with this, but I honestly can't believe he gave up a secure job in the academy for this.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

3 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I've long thought this too. If the players aren't happy with training etc.. put the extra work in yourselves. Don't just dien tools and not do the job you've already proven you're capable of doing. If the manager then decides to take you all out the firing line - then that's solely on him.

See tbh, I'd be amazed if you can find a player in the league that will take responsibility on the field and do something other than what the manager has told them to, regardless of how daft or wrong they think it is. 

It's a selfish business.

We’ve gambled with relegation for a few years now. One of these times we were bound to get caught out. This year it seems the case.  I don’t think we’ll end up like Dunfermline / Falkirk but instead similar to Dundee just stuck in a constant loop. 
Hammell must give the new boys a chance in Kirkcaldy. Playing the same players that have let him down all season would be an indictment that he doesn’t know how to fix this.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm finding myself semi-invested in Accies/Airdie results recently solely because if we're in the Championship it'd be slightly more interesting if we had the derbies again.

That’s 2 teams that are guaranteed to beat us next year. 

37 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Personally, I've become very apathetic towards it all and as much as I'm obviously still interested, I can feel myself regressing into an armchair fan and properly have to motivate myself to go out to games. 

I'm like a broken record with this, but I honestly can't believe he gave up a secure job in the academy for this.

It's obviously different for me living abroad so I enjoy every game I actually get to - or rather, the ritual of going, seeing mates for a beer etc. I'm hopeful of press ganging at least one of the kids along in summer too which I'm looking forward to.

But that's also largely why I I think we'll be fine, initially, in the Championship. Football clubs and fans are much more resilient than people think as very few of them actually go solely for the 90 minutes.

If we cross our fingers for Dundee being the only side going up this time, we would be definite favourites for promotion next season even with an overhaul being needed. Throw in Hamilton and Airdrie as derbies, some away days to rarely seen grounds, another cup competition for a giggle etc and you have the potential for absolutely epic season that'll get everyone more than on board again.

The danger of course being one season turns into more, then we really are in bother...and though we'd be favourites, it'd be marginal - you're essentially looking at 50-50 or maybe 60-40 games virtually every week. I'm not convinced we'd do a Dunfermline but the potential to slip into the middle of the pack is also definitely there.

Agree completely on Hammell, it seemed mental at the time and all the more so when he (presumably) approved Clarkson as replacement.

We absolutely cannot be accepting relegation. I genuinely think it will be the beginning of a long road down for us and a long long time out of the top flight. 

The whole romantic idea of going down, seeing some different grounds, crowds swelling I'm size is an absolute fantasy in my opinion. 

Funding will drop across the board, player quality will be worse, the academy will take a hit and be cut in places, the fans won't suddenly bump up WS subs to fund a quick return, we will be quickly on par with the majority of the championship clubs and become a Partick Thistle. That's the reality (albeit a little half glass empty I admit...)

Edited by eliphas

2 minutes ago, eliphas said:

The whole romantic idea of going down, seeing some different grounds, crowds swelling I'm size is an absolute fantasy. 

Aye, it’s good in the cup, but travelling to these places and getting beat every week quickly takes the shine away.