Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Our defence has been shite, and our fullbacks have been badly exposed by our midfield at times, the 442 would be an attempt to address that. We also took the woeful Slattery and KVV out and gave Cornelius and obika starts, so whether it works or not, this seems like a fine attempt to solve all the shit we were complaining about, with the players that are available. 

We also for once this season have players on bench that can come on and change things.

Like I say, f**k knows if it will work, but our fans would have been just as fuming if we trotted out the usual suspects in the same 433 again. 

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just to chuck another mental theory out there

Kelly

SOD McGinn Lamie Furlong

Johnson Cornelius Goss

Spittal

Aitchison Obika

its still a bit mental but I think I’d be happier with this than a SOD-Lamie-McGinn back 3. At least all the players have played in those positions before. 

3-5-2 (what I take us to be playing also) allows us to be compact defensively, get two up top, and let’s Max and Furlong get forward (hopefully the new boy is as positive as Max).

4-3-3 hasn’t been working, our midfield has been consistently ran over the top of (Butcher hopefully will help once he’s in the mix). We could’ve maybe gone 4-4-2 but I don’t think we’ve got the wide midfielders for that and you’re still playing an unnatural CB at CB. 

This team is now Hammell’s and he’s ultimately the one picking the XI, but I think we’re hamstrung by only having one of our four senior centre halves available today with square pegs/round holes, etc. There is not a team that he could’ve named today that people wouldn’t be labelling a sackable offence or similar. 

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Just to chuck another mental theory out there

Kelly

SOD McGinn Lamie Furlong

Johnson Cornelius Goss

Spittal

Aitchison Obika

That would be my guess and I'd certainly take that over Sky's prediction. Do Aberdeen still have a big team because we're severely lacking in height for set pieces. 

25 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

f**k knows like. I assume there's a whole load of stuff going on in the background depending on who is matchfit, who has already chucked it under Hammell, who in the squad actually know each other's names etc.

On the face of it though, that amount of chopping and changing, dropping and reinstating, does usually feel like the death throes of a managerial era.

Not sure we can be critical of chopping and changing when it's what we've all basically been calling for for ages.

Individually we might not like the chops that have been changed. But we all like a butchers. Or something. 

1 nil. Obika.

Edited by eliphas

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hammell's radio interview there, deary me man. I'm still desperate for him to turn it round but he really doesn't seem in a good place.

Didn't hear it but I've pretty much accepted that he's toast now tbh.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon...(and for the rest of his life).

In that respect whatever he gets up to in the next couple of games is just a prelude to his emptying.

Fully prepared for this to age like milk and be dragged up again in a week or two, but unless he walks himself then I think Hammell will be in charge for the first game of next season. Forums like this often act as echo chambers that make the good look really good and the bad look really bad, still plenty of time for us to get out of this mess.  

</denial>

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Didn't hear it but I've pretty much accepted that he's toast now tbh.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon...(and for the rest of his life).

In that respect whatever he gets up to in the next couple of games is just a prelude to his emptying.

Was going okay until he started hitting out at the media for their "negativity." Like dunno, I'm not a massive fan of the Scottish football press but I'd say they're the least of our worries at the moment. 

1 hour ago, stu92 said:

3-5-2 (what I take us to be playing also) allows us to be compact defensively, get two up top, and let’s Max and Furlong get forward (hopefully the new boy is as positive as Max).

4-3-3 hasn’t been working, our midfield has been consistently ran over the top of (Butcher hopefully will help once he’s in the mix). We could’ve maybe gone 4-4-2 but I don’t think we’ve got the wide midfielders for that and you’re still playing an unnatural CB at CB. 

This team is now Hammell’s and he’s ultimately the one picking the XI, but I think we’re hamstrung by only having one of our four senior centre halves available today with square pegs/round holes, etc. There is not a team that he could’ve named today that people wouldn’t be labelling a sackable offence or similar. 

These problems don't go away with 3 / 5 at the back