Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

This is broadly my take on Martindale. Anyone suggesting him for other mid-tier jobs in Scotland (Motherwell, Hibs, Aberdeen, United...whomever) just hasn't been paying attention.

He's in with the bricks at Livi and it works - if you bounce him into a different set up, at another team...I'm not sure it does. Absolutely fair play to him if he realises that.

He just needs to look at Hammell, in with the bricks at the Academy then moves to a different role, even a successful first season would have seen the inevitable job loss inside 3 years.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I see he is saying he has the support of all the senior players. Well that is good to know. Obviously expect us to play well tomorrow and come away with a positive result 🤞🙈

Given it would be the senior players that any new manager emptied then of course they will back him.

The biggest mystery of all was our opening handful of games. Just look at the line ups that Hammell managed to get excellent performances from - here’s Dundee United and Aberdeen. 

We were consistently good and just looking for that final thing to turn those performances into consistent results. 

I suppose the real test for a manager happens when the results don’t come. Instead of finding that extra thing, we’ve seen individual and collective performance slowly deteriorate game on game. A hard thing to turn around. This is where some experience is probably needed. 

FD3C4F99-247B-4FED-BB2E-2428DF8B45CE.jpeg

4601DE6D-1C1E-4E11-9935-A5E8574D705C.jpeg

The football has totally went out the window, some of the performances were a breath of fresh air, not sure if that is down to players feeling the pressure, Hammell trying for the win by any means neccessery, who knows.

Not for a second saying one win and we will be world beaters, but it would be interesting to see how we get on after a win in the league. HUGE weight off shoulders i'd imagine, players, management and fans.

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

And Im one of them.

I prefer to call it the reality of running a fan owned football club.

But fill your boots!

So the reality of a fan owned club is to hang on to a manager that's clearly out of his depth and shows no sign of turning it around at the expensive of our premiership status? How does one equal the other?

4 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

So the reality of a fan owned club is to hang on to a manager that's clearly out of his depth and shows no sign of turning it around at the expensive of our premiership status? How does one equal the other?

Youve clearly read my Steelmen Online posts, so you know thats not my position.

14 minutes ago, CoF said:

The biggest mystery of all was our opening handful of games. Just look at the line ups that Hammell managed to get excellent performances from - here’s Dundee United and Aberdeen. 

We were consistently good and just looking for that final thing to turn those performances into consistent results. 

I suppose the real test for a manager happens when the results don’t come. Instead of finding that extra thing, we’ve seen individual and collective performance slowly deteriorate game on game. A hard thing to turn around. This is where some experience is probably needed. 

I don't necessarily think it was a "new manager bounce" but I wonder how much of it was down to it being someone, anyone in the dugout who wasn't Alexander.

If you think back to the narrative that was coming out in the aftermath of #Grezza having been binned we were hearing not even subtle digs from players and even Hammell himself about the general mood around the place.

As I've said, it looks increasingly like Hammell and Kerr are a big part of the problem now given that individual performances are dropping to levels worse than we saw under Alexander and the same cheap mistakes are costing us week in, week out but aren't being rectified.

Whether that's inexperience or just the fact that neither are good enough coaches to be working at Premiership level (or both) IDK but the list of players who have regressed is as long as your arm. Either way it doesn't reflect well on either the manager or his assistant.

6 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

If you know a good shrink though, please message me their number. I didnt say my mental health wasnt suffering.......

Edited by joewarkfanclub

16 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Not for a second saying one win and we will be world beaters, but it would be interesting to see how we get on after a win in the league. HUGE weight off shoulders i'd imagine, players, management and fans.

I would agree but add the word "home" before "win". No-one can survive not winning at home when the vast majority of supporters only see you in that context. I've been to most away games this season, so I've at least seen a 5-0 win and some other decent results - most folk have had a fucking miserable time of it. 

It's one of the worst things about all this - GA's first half of last season had one of the best home atmoshperes we've had for ages and that has utterly gone at this point due to what went on in 2022 up until now.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

I would agree but add the word "home" before "win". No-one can survive not winning at home when the vast majority of supporters only see you in that context. I've been to most away games this season, so I've at least seen a 5-0 win and some other decent results - most folk have had a fucking miserable time of it. 

It's one of the worst things about all this - GA's first half of last season had one of the best home atmoshperes we've had for ages and that has utterly gone at this point due to what went on in 2022 up until now.

Good point.

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Youve clearly read my Steelmen Online posts, so you know thats not my position.

In all honesty I've not taken a mental note of whos said what so I don't know what your position is, I am just responding to your response to my response. 

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Not too sure about that. I personally wouldn’t have an issue with Martindale but I would with Goodwillie/Ched Evans etc. There are some people out there who look at drug dealing/organized crime as poorly as I view rape or sexual offences.

Atrocious post. You’re the one who drew a comparison with him and Goodwillie. I mean it’s in back and white. 

You popped in here to give your two cents worth over Slattery too like Hyacinth Bucket.

The steaming pile of virtue signalling pish you come out with. On a fitba forum too.

Away and f**k off back to your own thread.

It mightve been @Swello, so I apologise if I'm wrong, but the explanation that football is very simple; pass it to someone in the same shirt as you. If someone beside you is wearing a different shirt, try and move away from them.

Just do that ffs and score some fucking goals. So fucking bored of this team and the fucking meek acceptance of loss and defeat. Someone leather someone, someone hit the target and have c***s follow it up, have a bit of fucking dig or pride in your own performance.

Stick with McKinstry, Deano and Max, Motherwell boys that give a f**k, drop the guys that have been underperforming for months and have a bit of fucking bravery and try and win a fucking game. 

Long past the point of being arsed about winning or losing, but an ounce of enjoyment out of a Saturday wouldn't go amiss.

36 minutes ago, Swello said:

This is spot on. I don't really go to away games anymore, decided a season ticket was enough to be spending on watching football and since 1 Jan 2022, I've seen us win 2 league games....(unfortunately missed the 2-1 Hearts game as was away with work). So can absolutely echo those sentiments.

As you say, I'm sure that'll be the same for the majority of supporters and it's becoming increasingly difficult to have any kind of positivity towards the team as we almost literally never see them win. 

At the start of Hammell's reign there was the Inverness game, Dundee Utd game and Hearts game which were like a breath of fresh air post Alexander. At the time it seemed like we'd probably be one of those teams who gets the odd pumping but also dishes them out and at the very least entertains. What's materialised is that we don't really get pumped, we just gradually get worn down slowly by losing games by the odd goal to horrific individual errors which has lead to a team utterly devoid of belief and there doesn't seem to be any direction to address the slide.

Edited by Mr Hahn

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

It mightve been @Swello, so I apologise if I'm wrong, but the explanation that football is very simple; pass it to someone in the same shirt as you. If someone beside you is wearing a different shirt, try and move away from them.

Just do that ffs and score some fucking goals. So fucking bored of this team and the fucking meek acceptance of loss and defeat. Someone leather someone, someone hit the target and have c***s follow it up, have a bit of fucking dig or pride in your own performance.

Stick with McKinstry, Deano and Max, Motherwell boys that give a f**k, drop the guys that have been underperforming for months and have a bit of fucking bravery and try and win a fucking game. 

Long past the point of being arsed about winning or losing, but an ounce of enjoyment out of a Saturday wouldn't go amiss.

Wish I could like this twice. But hear fucking hear.