Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Noticed this from Narey's Toepoker and aye...add in his overall record and it's really on the board to take some sort of ownership of the fact that they've made a (bad) decision that hasn't worked out as they'd hoped.

Even taking into account there's a raft of new players in the door there's absolutely f**k all to suggest that he and Kerr will be able to do anything with them.

In fact, as a related point I'm genuinely curious to see what would happen if we were to give Hammell's group of players to a halfway competent coaching team now.

36 minutes ago, Al B said:

I hate it when you've just settled down and then someone words something differently and it all comes back again.

6 points out of 45 is fucking frightening.

It was re-visiting that Kerr/Albion Rovers doc that really crystallised things for me in terms of what we've actually done here and why we really shouldn't be surprised.

Very much a case of the Peter Principle but we've promoted a guy out of a strategic position with the Academy (that he seems to have been good at) to become first team manager despite him not actually having any first team coaching or managerial experience and paired him with a guy whose managerial experience was relegating Albion Rovers from League 1 to League 2 plus 12 games with EK.

Now we're joint bottom of the league with 1 (ONE) home league win this season.

I mean, I'm sure it was done with the best of intentions and I've no doubt Hammell's pitch was good but in hindsight?

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

So in summary according to Capt table of Managers % results Hammell is currently the worst since we were last out of the top flight.

Why on that basis would the Board give him any more time if we lose on Saturday ? Apart from his status as player and previous role. 

It is results and performances that count. End of.

I see he is saying he has the support of all the senior players. Well that is good to know. Obviously expect us to play well tomorrow and come away with a positive result 🤞🙈

Hammy is only still in a job due to burst pipes in December and a favourable cup draw against a team similar to us a division below.

If we didn't get that week long cold snap and were drawn against anyone from Partick Thistle up we'd have 6 from 48 and papped from the cup. If there is one person left as a "wait and see" you need your head read.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

So in summary according to Capt table of Managers % results Hammell is currently the worst since we were last out of the top flight.

It's scary but at the same time win % is a stupid stat.  Manager A who has won 1 and lost 9 has a better win % than someone who has not won any drawn 10 but lost 0 either...  

14 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

He did shit, got caught, paid his time, showed remorse and now has learned from it, reformed and contributing to the society he lives in. If rehabilitation is no longer allowed, then that is a shitty thing. Of course it will always be there and that's the black mark he'll carry with him through life but if some p***k wants to make an issue of it then it says more about them than Davie.

The only thing he deserves a radar blip for is his love of the Hunnorum.

I'm more concerned with the 8 or 9 c***s commiting fraud weekly in our first team.

Not too sure about that. I personally wouldn’t have an issue with Martindale but I would with Goodwillie/Ched Evans etc. There are some people out there who look at drug dealing/organized crime as poorly as I view rape or sexual offences.

20 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Hammy is only still in a job due to burst pipes in December and a favourable cup draw against a team similar to us a division below.

If we didn't get that week long cold snap and were drawn against anyone from Partick Thistle up we'd have 6 from 48 and papped from the cup. If there is one person left as a "wait and see" you need your head read.

I advise you to steer clear of SO, there are a few nut cases over there still riding the crazy train. 

13 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

It's scary but at the same time win % is a stupid stat.  Manager A who has won 1 and lost 9 has a better win % than someone who has not won any drawn 10 but lost 0 either...  

Aye, I've generally found a loss % is generally more instructive but broadly speaking as a relative indicator of 'success' win % at least gives you a rough idea.

Either way the whole table is on Wiki and Hammell is currently sat on 21.73%

Going back to 1911 the only permanent managers with a worse win % are Bobby Watson and Roger Hynd:

1193506913_Screenshot2023-02-03at13_09_08.thumb.png.80d614e730c589a5dc9779e93d216963.png
1820060792_Screenshot2023-02-03at09_24_19.thumb.png.e60967db4f0b96de23b52f6252cf247b.png

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The fact I watched that Brian Kerr doc once years ago and still have lazy leg is fucking lazy burned into my psyche should probably have had the alarm bells ringing, eh. 

This is genuinely why I've pivoted to the idea that actually...maybe it's not the players who are the problem here. Apart from Ricki Lamie.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness it seems there's one due to be announced.

A few reporters saying Hammell was hopeful of a couple coming in next week. 

“We will be in a much stronger position next week with a couple of new additions and people getting more up to speed in terms of the new players.

There’s a couple we’ve looked at and were hoping to get done before the window, so it’s not that we’ve come out and panicked. Hopefully that’s something we can do.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

I think he needs to go but it would be unrealistic to think the board won't give him the next couple of games when he's just brought a stack of players in and he hasn't had a chance to integrate them into the team.