Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, CoF said:

I also don't think defeat on Saturday will see him gone either. The St Mirren game on the 15th will have given him two weeks to work the seven new additions into the squad. That'll be Hammell's time to show us what he's got. The only thing I can see bringing change about earlier is getting absolutely pumped at Aberdeen and put out the cup. 

Losing to Aberdeen and getting papped out the cup are two very distinct possibilities going by the new and extremely low bar set last night, but I agree, even if we do lose both, St Mirren is his do or die fixture. If that goes awry the current apathy will give way to anger and lead to a baying mob outside the main stand and the board, reluctant or otherwise, will have no option but to pull the trigger. 

22 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'd imagine 4 years in the pokie for coke and money laundering probably still restricts him to some extent. Especially outside of Scotland, so why risk it by moving on from a safe gig I guess 

Martindale, not Hammell...

Whilst I don’t think it’ll happen in the same way he would need to be careful that moving to a club with a bigger profile doesn’t expose him to the same backlash that Goodwillie received. He’s currently flying under most of your average persons radar.

36 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Whilst I don’t think it’ll happen in the same way he would need to be careful that moving to a club with a bigger profile doesn’t expose him to the same backlash that Goodwillie received. He’s currently flying under most of your average persons radar.

He did shit, got caught, paid his time, showed remorse and now has learned from it, reformed and contributing to the society he lives in. If rehabilitation is no longer allowed, then that is a shitty thing. Of course it will always be there and that's the black mark he'll carry with him through life but if some p***k wants to make an issue of it then it says more about them than Davie.

The only thing he deserves a radar blip for is his love of the Hunnorum.

I'm more concerned with the 8 or 9 c***s commiting fraud weekly in our first team.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

I'd imagine 4 years in the pokie for coke and money laundering probably still restricts him to some extent. Especially outside of Scotland, so why risk it by moving on from a safe gig I guess 

Martindale, not Hammell...

There's a question building up in the back of a lot of people's minds at Livi, will Martindale be allowed to travel to European countries if we make it into Europe? I'm not sure what the terms of it are but having a serious criminal past will surely mean some countries will stop him entering. 

Bit of a weird question but it's a weird situation as well. Not as common of a thought for Livi given the last time we were in Europe was 2002ish

9 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Losing to Aberdeen and getting papped out the cup are two very distinct possibilities going by the new and extremely low bar set last night, but I agree, even if we do lose both, St Mirren is his do or die fixture. If that goes awry the current apathy will give way to anger and lead to a baying mob outside the main stand and the board, reluctant or otherwise, will have no option but to pull the trigger. 

I guess it will be the manner of the performance and result on Saturday. If by some miracle we play well and win, draw or even lose narrowly. The Board can see improvement and that hopefully Wed night was just a blip. Then fine. 

But if we surrender meekly and lose to a poor Aberdeen side he should not be given the Cup game. If we then go on to lose to Raith then that could have probably been avoided. At that point I would want the Board gone as well as the Manager. I said I would not repeat myself but somewhat unsurprisingly I have ! 

Edited by welldaft

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The reserves lost 4-1 at Queen of the South tonight which doesn't sound great for the triallist (or the reserves to be honest).

Or Kettlewell if he is next in line as interim manager.

11 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agree with all you've said before as well. At some point it'll reach a natural conclusion you'd think, but it won't be soon, I'd say. With clubs moving to more consistent staffing models like DoF and stuff, it just isn't a good fit elsewhere. 

When he was on the show with us the buzz he had about how he'd built the gym and done all sorts during covid was the same as the buzz he had for lyndon dykes and his role in making him who he is now was the same, and it would require a club to give him that level of control. He just fuckin loves being the guy, and grafts like f**k to keep being the guy. It sounds daft but it works because he works, and if you took any bit of it away I don't think it would.

This is broadly my take on Martindale. Anyone suggesting him for other mid-tier jobs in Scotland (Motherwell, Hibs, Aberdeen, United...whomever) just hasn't been paying attention.

He's in with the bricks at Livi and it works - if you bounce him into a different set up, at another team...I'm not sure it does. Absolutely fair play to him if he realises that.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The reserves lost 4-1 at Queen of the South tonight which doesn't sound great for the triallist (or the reserves to be honest).

That result paid for my ticket for Raith Rovers, at least... 

Was curious to see when we'd emptied previous managers.

This obvs includes interim and hasn't updated Hammell's stats in a while - it's league games and he's currently 21.73%...

1820060792_Screenshot2023-02-03at09_24_19.thumb.png.e60967db4f0b96de23b52f6252cf247b.png

Link

Of the permanent managers who have left:

3 - December (Gannon, Brown, Robinson)
2 - February (McLeish, McGhee)
2 - May (McLean, Butcher)
2 - June (Malpas, McGhee)
2 - September (Davies, Baraclough)
1 - June - (Black)
1 - July (Alexander)
1 - October (Kampman)
1 - November (McCall)

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Can you bet on Reserve games these days? Presumably the big bookies don't know we're playing the kids.

you used to be able to, there was actually a tipster account who had inside info on teams being fielded. You can only bet on that reserve league cup nowadays, for some reason. 

Another tipster was on twitter last night saying he heard Motherwell were fielding a very young team and backed QOTS at 4/1, most bookies clocked on removed it and slashed the odds.

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Was curious to see when we'd emptied previous managers.

This obvs includes interim and hasn't updated Hammell's stats in a while - it's league games and he's currently 21.73%...

1820060792_Screenshot2023-02-03at09_24_19.thumb.png.e60967db4f0b96de23b52f6252cf247b.png

Link

Of the permanent managers who have left:

3 - December (Gannon, Brown, Robinson)
2 - February (McLeish, McGhee)
2 - May (McLean, Butcher)
2 - June (Malpas, McGhee)
2 - September (Davies, Baraclough)
1 - June - (Black)
1 - July (Alexander)
1 - October (Kampman)
1 - November (McCall)

So if Hammell is emptied in the next few games, he'd basically be a Gannon and possibly the shortest serving permanent manager in the club's history? Brutal stuff.

27 minutes ago, Swello said:

So if Hammell is emptied in the next few games, he'd basically be a Gannon and possibly the shortest serving permanent manager in the club's history? Brutal stuff.

Aye.

I mean, It's not looking good for him tbh. As it stands he's lost 56% of his league games in charge.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

For whatever reason I always remembered Eric Black as having a much better record than that.  I know it coincided with the admin stuff but I always thought it was weirdly positive before then?

But aye.  Doesn't look good for Mr Hammell...

He started off with having a really good record at home, in his P9 W6 D1 L2.

We were brutal away in this time. P10 D2 L8.

Then after that he won only one game in 8 before he resigned when admin struck.

Was thinking about this last night and it just made me rage.

Mandron out for what we’re told is a few weeks ….. so we sign Obika, our third “handful” striker.

Club knew in August it was Penney who was reluctant to sign up for the season. I get they hoped they could maybe convince but he’s out the door in mid Jan replaced on deadline day by an unproven starlet.

Ship out Sol and regardless what you think he was a body. Blaney gets injured and precautionary subbed. McGinn and Lamie see out the game.

Three layers of cover at striker, 4 if you count Aitchison. Right back drafted in to cover centre half as zero left to offer. We play with two centre half’s.

For a club that professed being so well run a week ago. That is a shitshow of missing glaring priorities.

Lets face it, if Hammy was a pilot he’s be bobbing up and down in the mid-Atlantic in a liferaft at present.