Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We had £4m+ in cash in the bank at the end of May. So...probably, yes?

The board - not unreasonably - clearly have the fear about the future. Despite our reserves, they see the increasing gap between guaranteed income and what we need to be competitive... relying on a million quid of transfers every season is a bold approach.

At the same time, an abundance of caution is also counterproductive. If we go down, with all the consequences that brings, with the rainy day fund largely intact but a comedy duo at centre back and no six because we wouldn't push the boat out in January, there'll be harsh questions asked about their understanding of risk-reward.

20 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The board - not unreasonably - clearly have the fear about the future. Despite our reserves, they see the increasing gap between guaranteed income and what we need to be competitive... relying on a million quid of transfers every season is a bold approach.

At the same time, an abundance of caution is also counterproductive. If we go down, with all the consequences that brings, with the rainy day fund largely intact but a comedy duo at centre back and no six because we wouldn't push the boat out in January, there'll be harsh questions asked about their understanding of risk-reward.

Definitely. I'm still not even sure where our c.£1m in transfers came from last year tbh. Turnbull add-ons, Campbell to Luton and Watt to United?

Either way I'm not complaining.

For clarity I'm not advocating we drain our reserves just highlighting that there is cash there even with the investment in the pitch and stadium refurb. Which is nice.

I suppose even when it comes to fag packet budgets - we obviously paid Alexander and Lucketti off but Hammell was promoted (presumably with a wage uplift), Kerr was promoted (ditto), Kettlewell replaced Kerr and (eventually) Clarkson replaced Hammell.

I'm not sure what my point is with that but as yet no one has replaced Clarkson AFAIK. So even still there's in February 2023 there's still a position vacant (again, AFAIK).

2 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Sacking Hammell wilL obviously cost money but not nearly as much as relegation will cost us. 

Is there a role we can shuffle him back into in the youth setup?  If he's still on a Motherwell wage he might accept the chance to escape the hot seat.  Or he might hate the idea, I guess a lot of that is down to his personal finances, and how he'd feel facing the same people after a demotion.

Don’t worry folks I have just backed Aberdeen with a few beans to beat us on Saturday. There is now a decent chance of a result 👍. This approach often works. Hard to believe Aberdeen are still available at evens or slightly better. 

There is always a cost when a Manager fails. And it must have crossed the boards mind that appointing an inexperienced Manager in Hammell may well not work out. It is sadly looking that way.

Lets say a cost of £200-250k in sacking Hammell and employing someone till end of season.  Versus £1m+ for one season in the Championship. Multiple millions if we stay down for a few years or longer. 

With a few million in the bank it is a risk worth taking and I think a risk the board will have to take shortly. 

Edited by welldaft

11 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Surely, if we keep betting on us to lose, then we can make up that £1 million gap ourselves?

Probably worse solutions 😉

You can get 2/1 at William Hill for bottom 2 places. I took out my bet at 6/1 a couple of months ago. Figured if the worst was to happen I can at least pay for my season ticket next year. I am up £1000 in 2022. So I tend to win my football bets or most of them. 

I still rather lose and see Motherwell win and stay up. It acts to cushion disappointment as a Motherwell fan. To be fair I only bet a few times a month and rarely on Motherwell. But sometimes you know when something is likely to happen. Like backing Celtic at -2,-3 and -4 for last game of season at Parkhead when we had already qualified for Europe and it was their flag day. Free money 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

It's incredibly reductive but it's wild to watch where we were on the park in Q1 of the season which was at a point at which Hammell was basically focussed on steadying the ship after Alexander was emptied vs whatever this is now. It's by and large the same players.

Edited by capt_oats

From what I've been told the 'board conversation' has happened and Hammell has still got the backing for now. Mainly because he's been backed in January (another board conversation happened then too) and brought in players. 

All rides on the next two, possibly three games, performance and results.

SOD looked like a competition winner allowed on for 10 mins in a testimonial. Absolute imposter . Fair f*cks to him tho getting this far in his career without being able to run or trap a ball. 

KVV shambles about every week like a Sunday league player with a massive hangover , get him Tae f*ck off the park and get obika starting , at least he looked like he was willing to ruffle some feathers in the defense when he came on. 

Blaney looked solid and composed, stuck out like a sore thumb. Obv then goes and gets injured early doors, doesn't look too serious tho more a precaution due to the precarious lack of cover ( cue triple ACL rupture diagnosis, out for a year )

Danzaki looked energetic and willing to put himself about despite his size , a bit like the new kid at school that noone will pass to so doing what he can off the ball.  

Crankshaw standing on the ball when trying to skin a defender was a laugh.  

Aitchison looked like Shields, but without the muscles. 

2 minutes ago, eliphas said:

From what I've been told the 'board conversation' has happened and Hammell has still got the backing for now. Mainly because he's been backed in January (another board conversation happened then too) and brought in players. 

All rides on the next two, possibly three games, performance and results.

Thanks.  Hardly surprising I guess.

The reality however is that lose to an Aberdeen on an awful run (on a par with St Johnstone) and he should not get the cup game.

What if we lose to Raith too. We may well do that with a new or an interim Manager. But we have a great chance to get to the quarterfinals. Then maybe the semis or a draw v the Old firm that could bring in the couple hundred £000 we need to pay Hammell off etc etc. 

It may well depend on performance. But it should not. The run we are on is a sackable offence. Yet another defeat and he should be removed. That is it from me on this subject as I keep repeating myself but it is how I strongly feel. 

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What if we lose to Raith too. We may well do that with a new or an interim Manager. But we have a great chance to get to the quarterfinals. Then maybe the semis or a draw v the Old firm that could bring in the couple hundred £000 we need to pay Hammell off etc etc. 

We'd have to be very, very lucky with the draw, because on the strength (strength?  hah!) of last night's performance we're not beating anybody even vaguely decent, if we get past Raith

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

the investment in the pitch 

I was always led to believe by the club that the Scottish Govt loan for Covid relief is what paid for the pitch and not a penny of club funds  went to its cost. There is no additional payments to be made either. Its fully paid unless someone has better knowledge

Edited by Well Well