Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The new guys looked better than the current guys at least. Not much of an endorsement when the bar is lying on the ground.

Cornelius needs to start every game, he is the only player with any sort of dynamism.

Slattery was piss poor, along with Goss, but our front line isn't moving for them at all and they're being forced into stupid stuff. KVV needs a break as he's getting worse every game. I was going to joke about him ragdolling Aberdeen, but he's out on his feet. 

Crankshaw really tried to force things but he had no support at all. We put in so many crosses to no one.

Our defence isn't good, but they are being hung out to dry right now. 

From the merry go round there's yogi, Goodwin and Ross. Then there's Courts and Alexander sitting doing nothing.  Lambert is about, but we're probably beneath him. Lennon would be funny in a bad way. *

* This is a statement of fact, not an endorsement for any of these. 

Edited by rowsdower

24 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the (supposedly) incoming defensive option was suddenly reassessing their options after seeing that tonight. Who in their right mind would want to join this shitshow if they had any other half decent offer open to them?

When he is likely a permacrock there probably aren’t many other options and that’s the issue. If we’re signing Devlin as is rumoured to cover for injury then it’s a bad idea. The move has been held up twice now by the sounds of it (Hammell pre match) - given he was freed I can only assume something is coming up on the medical that we are being extra careful with and that is not going to do it. 

O Donnell should never play for the club again. 

5 minutes ago, Well Well said:

In respect of @wellDel comment I disagree and must wonder wtf Crankshaw has to do to get some support when he tries to go forward as everyone else just sat back. That ball across the front of goal, KVV should have broke his neck trying to get to but he just never gambled that Crankshaw would win the ball.

The one across the face of goal was a good bit of persistence and Van Veen is again caught on his heels and unable to take advantage. As you say, if that's a half decent and alert centre forward they take the gamble and get in the position, but typical of him, he is too slow to react again. 

On your Danzaki point, 100% agree that he covered a lot of ground looking to get involved yet  for whatever reason, the other two alongside him neglected to let him get too involved. Self preservation in fear of him actually being decent and claiming their place going forward since Slattery's been a mile off it recently and Goss is a shitebag empty jersey?

2 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

O Donnell should never play for the club again. 

Someone was saying tonight that O'Donnell is pretty much done. Said he's been struggling with a bad hip problem which is why he hasn't been playing unless as a last resort. When he's fit I rate him as a player but that's a good year, year and a half he's looked miles off the pace when he's played.

Just back in. I still stick to my thoughts during the game and even last week. If we lose tonight Hammell time is up. But the manner of that loss has me in a complete panic and convinced if nothing changes we WILL finish bottom of the pile. 

I said previously he got off to a good start. Then even as we started to lose games we were still very competitive and should have (with a wee bit of luck) had a few more wins onboard.

But that tonight was abject. The players that started the season with Hammell are mainly still here. So what has gone so badly wrong ? You can cut some slack to the new players as this was their 1st game in windy and rainy midweek against a average but hardworking and streetwise St Johnstone team. But none of them really stood out. Best player for me was Crankshaw. He at least tried to go past players and play football. Occasions he even succeeded. SODS was just woeful again. Left side - right side. It does not seem to matter. Van Veen not much better either again.

I know changing Manager may not make one jot of difference. But we cannot now change the players. So if the Board genuinely think Hammell can turn it around then that is on them. But the evidence tonight and the last couple of months of league games now suggests otherwise. Relegation will cost us a couple of million I would imagine. So spend a little extra to try and get an experienced Manager or otherwise the Board are just accepting our inevitable fate of relegation for the 1st time since 1985 🤷‍♂️

By football supporter standards, I've got a lot of patience but I can't sit and watch Motherwell players jumping out the way of any more challenges - this is without any question the meekest, softest team we've ever had. St Johnstone aren't an especially physical team but they looked like fucking titans tonight, just as St Mirren did on Saturday. The number of our players who are routinely brushed off the ball - including central defenders - is unbelievable. 

The normal script when we are in one of our bad seasons is that everyone's going mental, players are shouting back at supporters when they're getting a slagging, the atmosphere gets everyone riled up and maybe sparks a bit of fight - but the current situation where no-one on or off the park gives a f**k is much, much worse. 

The games against County, St Mirren and St Johnstone all share the same features and I'd call for a change of manager if I thought we had any fight in the team - but that's not happening. 

When the other team scores in the 4th minute and you and those around you are pretty much resigned to that's us beat again, and they players being much the same, sums it up for me. Cheers Stevie you might be a lovely guy you might be a dick I don't know or really care you sure as shit don't seem to know what you are doing or have any apparent ability to do anything about it. Just do one decent thing and resign while we still maybe have just enough time to turn this shitshow around.

1 minute ago, fat_tony said:

Someone was saying tonight that O'Donnell is pretty much done. Said he's been struggling with a bad hip problem which is why he hasn't been playing unless as a last resort. When he's fit I rate him as a player but that's a good year, year and a half he's looked miles off the pace when he's played.

and again I ask the question wtf was going through Hammell's brain that he thought playing O'Donnell as opposed to a match fit Johnston was an option..? As you rightly pointed out O'Donnell hasnt had a decent game in almost 18 months. O'Donnell's performance tonight was an embarrassment for a professional

6 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

That was the most pathetic performance i’ve seen since the Malpas era. If we stay up this year then some poor mob who finishes behind us absolutely deserves it. We stink of relegation this year

We are rank.

No attacking plan. Gifting goals every game at the back. Malpas season had some of the same shit but we had Scott McDonald.

I don't see any effort in this team. Sometimes it isn't about quality it is just about giving a shit.

Walking out of that shit show at FTbI made my peace with being relegated. Aye it's shite, no one wants to be relegated but on the other side, we play new teams, visit new grounds, don't have to deal with the arse cheeks and hopefully win a trophy for coming back up. The fear of course is becoming a Falkirk or Dunfermline but I'd like to think we wouldn't do that.

As for Hammell, tonight was the straw that broke the camels back for me. 2 down just 4 minutes into the 2nd half, that's plenty time for most team to at least try and mount a comeback but he's just standing on the touchline, hands in his pockets watching the world go by. He should be screaming barking orders at them on how to fix the mess their in. He just seems too much of a nice guy to me.