Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

As much as Hammell needs to go, the problem remains that the players are still shite.

True. But it's last throw of the dice time for me now. Hammy and Kerr have to go if we can get someone else decent in who might bring something new to the table and get the players playing. Shite as they may all be a good lot of them are performing well below their abilities too...a new manager may bring that out.

I've been fairly pro Hammell and wanted to give him time but that time is up.

7 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Don't see the point is sacking hammell, we're fucked either way. Just need to start playing the folk that we hope are going to help promote us next season. 

We're now at the stage where never mind a last, desperate, roll of the dice, we can start asking has Hammell done anything - anything at all, no one has improved under him and several have regressed, never mind his tactical/selection issues - to suggest he's the man to take us back up? 

Shuffle him back to something in the youths, we can pretend this never happened and we'll blame relegation on Alexander. Kettlewell (I suppose) can be interim manager while we do a proper recruitment process to find someone we believe is the right guy for the next two-three seasons regardless of whether that's up or down.

It cannot possibly be any worse than what we have now, we have absolutely nothing to lose.

10 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Don't see the point is sacking hammell, we're fucked either way. Just need to start playing the folk that we hope are going to help promote us next season. 

Because he’s shown absolutely nothing that would give me any hope he would bring us back up. Clueless and hopeless. 

That was a truly gutless, clueless performance. 

Absolutely no game plan or identity to that team. I'm not sure if they actually work on anything in training, if they do then it doesn't show. 

I've never felt so detached from a squad, a group of spineless fifth rate mercenaries. 

Stevie is a club legend and needs to go now before he muddies his reputation any further, he's miles out of his depth.

I'm increasingly starting to believe there's nobody who will manage a tune out of that lot, but we need to roll the dice and give ourselves a chance. 

That should be that for Hammell and Kerr tbh.

To echo @Handsome_Devil no one has improved under him. Several (in fact more) have got worse.

You can mitigate things re: the circumstances of how he got the job but it's increasingly apparent that neither he nor his assistant are actually capable coaches at this level - and why should they be? One was Academy director and the other looking after the 18s in the summer.

Got into a conversation with this drunk boy in a club in Glasgow on Saturday night, told me he supported Rangers, I said Motherwell of course. 

He starts banging on about “ohh Motherwell… remember Stuart McCall.”

After that tonight, I’m going to cry myself to sleep thinking of Stuart McCall and that wonderful team. 

Edited by ZX1886

Yeah, time for him to go for me. The football was excellent to start with, tonight we looked clueless. Not a single shred of anything good. Enough new players for a someone new to give it a bash.

Raith in the cup in a few weeks and sitting in the house watching it seems more appealing. 

No wins against, killie, Ross county St mirren and St Johnstone is and a very poor hibs side is criminal.

Edited by Neil86

That’s the worst and most pathetic Motherwell performance I’ve seen since Dundee skudded us 5-0 with Mark McGhee at the helm and we all know how that ended… 

2 wins in 19 games should never be accepted, the team and players as previously said have regressed massively. The whole club in general from top to bottom is a shambles but that stems from what is seen on the park dictated by management so a change is needed. 

If he hasn’t got a tune out of us in 6 months and clearly has no clue regards to his recruitment in the summer and this window past the jury is out but problems weren’t addressed. For people backing him? Well the players aren’t it was clear to see they’d given up tonight, 0 effort from players especially the ones that came on I pinpointed McKinstry instantly walking about and slightly jogging when losing the ball or it went past him, wasn’t the only one. To play SOD the most right footed player there is at left back killed us - Richard Tait 10x the player. 

Someone new in get this team to do the basics, head the ball into right areas, win and don’t pull out tackles, be aggressive, be fit.

Edited by supermarv

That was a shambles. I appreciate a lot of the players haven’t played together but there was not a resemblance of a game plan. The marking for the goals was the worst I’ve seen since Saturday’s embarrassing goal. 

St Johnstone were so much more street wise than us and gave our forward players such a hard time, whereas we gave them all the time in the world. Still so easy to play against.

The worst thing was the lack of fight. The defence and midfield is a shambles.

Fully onboard the Hammell out train. 

Dropping Mckinstry and Johnson. Thinking a midfield of Slattery, Goss, and Danzaki would work. Swapping Aitchison, Danzaki and Crankshaw about multiple times. That double sub at halftime. Going 4-4-2 towards the end. 

Flexibility is a good trait for a manager but there comes a point where it's obvious there's no actual fucking plan. 

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That should be that for Hammell and Kerr tbh.

To echo @Handsome_Devil no one has improved under him. Several (in fact more) have got worse.

You can mitigate things re: the circumstances of how he got the job but it's increasingly apparent that neither he nor his assistant are actually capable coaches at this level - and why should they be? One was Academy director and the other looking after the 18s in the summer.

Agreed.

If you look back at my posts I've been fairly objective as I think there have been many reasons why Hammell couldn't really be blamed. It's all been covered from inheriting a squad, unlucky with injuries and a tough run of games pre WC. I've also banged on about the mad goal difference etc. 

But I've been calling for a change in tactics or approach to stop shipping daft goals for months (hasn't happened) and the month of January was the test for me (i.e. a winnable run of games) and he's failed.

We can't just assume no one else can get a wee tune out half the squad Feb to May and keep us up. League is still tight enough down here that a new manager bounce, someone who gets us organised and playing to our strengths and gets a handful of the players back to the levels they shohld be at and we've seen them at.l is entirely possible. It's worth a shot as the alternative is we just all pack up and go home now.

One positive - Hammell doesn't know half this team anymore so a new guy isn't going to be far behind.

Edited by eliphas