Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Not really sure what to make of that. 

Aitchison immediately looks to be an upgrade on Shields which is good, but then I'd be an upgrade on Shields. Obika was unexpected but gives us options I suppose. I was never that impressed with him at St Mirren. Furlong is a complete unknown but at least he's an actual left back. 

If the rumours of Fuchs are true then that's disappointing as he'd have been ideal. Hopefully we have someone else in mind, failing which we're looking at a change of shape. 

Not sure whether Obika joining means Mandron is out for longer than a few weeks. No striker we get at this stage will be prolific. But he has a 1 in 4/5 record for St Mirren and Swindon town in over 100 appearances. Again better than Shields by some distance.

Another CB and Midfielder would represent a decent window.

As an aside just reading that Chelsea have spent more this January (£290m) than the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga and Ligue 1 combined.  Crazy Crazy…

It's looking better than at 11pm last night at least. No idea if any of the new guys will be successful, but we can't really complain about a lack of options in attacking areas now with KVV, Obika, Danzaki, Aitchison, McKinstry Crankshaw and Tierney (with Efford and Mandron to add if/when they get back fit). 

We signed a left back which is good but assuming Furlong is here to start every week it's a big ask for a guy with virtually no senior football experience to get lobbed into a relegation fight. Fingers crossed it works out.

Beginning to doubt we'll get the #6 I had as our top priority a few weeks ago but perhaps a change of shape might help the midfield a bit?

I'm feeling a bit more positive than I was yesterday, but that's partly down to some of our relegation rivals having weird windows. Killie lost Lafferty and Oli Shaw and didn't bring in another striker (other than Vassell who was already there) as far as I'm aware, and it's not Killie have been banging in the goals. Dundee Utd lost Watt and are now left with an almost 36 year old Steven Fletcher as their only established striker. County signed some known quantities in Brophy and Simon Murray which should improve them up front but the rest of their squad is still fairly weak imo. 

Edited by dezz

14 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It looks better than it did at 7pm last night, tbf.

Still short a #6, and I'd anticipate that won't be addressed. That said, if Hammell's plan is to go with two up top, maybe the midfield can be more balanced.

If Scott Burns is to be believed in that we asked the question of Fuchs it suggests we were at least looking at resolving the issue.

There's always free agency I guess but given Hammell didn't touch that market after the summer window when he was pitching up week after week talking about how shallow the squad was it seems doubtful he'd look at it now.

I'm assuming Mandron must be out longer than the two weeks stated and the club were just playing the cards close to there chest. We have went from no forwards to being spoilt in that area. I honestly wonder what we do in training as not just this season but you think of the injuries to Hartley, Tanner, Dunne, Fox, McFadden etc have suffered in training in recent times. 

image.gif.5d91a325e5a6c21caa4f6050c6234c4b.gif

(edit.. re:Obika) Good player, not a huge goalscorer, but he'll cause bother as well as grabbing a few goals along the way. He also seems like a nice guy. Not saying he will save your season, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't help you avoid being mired in a relegation battle.

Edited by Ric

I mean, in the context of us losing Mandron on Friday with 4 days or whatever of the window still to go then Obika feels like as good an alternative as we could hope for.

Given the choice of chucking a wedge at Fleetwood for Ged Garner or taking Obika on loan til the end of the season then...aye, OBIKA!

It suggests that Aitchison for Shields and Obika for Mandron has been the move.

Seems there's more to come but so far:

Out:
Aarons, Moult, Fox, Penney (end of loan), Johansen, Connelly (loan), Speirs (loan), Maguire (loan), Shields (loan) = 9

In:
Blaney, Crankshaw (loan), Mandron (immediately injured), Danzaki, Aitchison, Furlong (loan), Obika (loan) = 7

:lol: absolutely fucked it might have fucked it.

I'm not against the Obika signing but if Mandron is out for a few weeks it seems a bit like overkill for me.

Don't get me wrong, if we sign Obika with a CB & CDM I'll be happy but I'm starting to worry that the midfield will be getting ignored.