Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

58 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We conceded 1 goal at the weekend. 1 goal against County, 1 goal against Livingston. And we only took 2 points.

As much as the back line is making ridiculous errors the number of goals we actually concede would be fine if we could actually put the ball in the net ourselves.

Aye - we shouldn't confuse the proportion of shite goals we concede with the actual number, which is totally fine compared to the rest of the league. We don't score enough, which just makes things harder for us.

We're still operating on really fine margins, so either the defence stop conceding needless goals or our attack start producing more - either will win us more points (and I'd be quite happy if it was the goal scoring that got better TBH).

57 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

We conceded 1 goal at the weekend. 1 goal against County, 1 goal against Livingston. And we only took 2 points.

As much as the back line is making ridiculous errors the number of goals we actually concede would be fine if we could actually put the ball in the net ourselves.

It's one of the harsh realities of football that an attack which misses chances but scores one or two most weeks is doing its job while a defence which keeps out 95% of attacks but sells the shirts at least once a game fundamentally isn't.

I’ve heard a few folk say Mandron is a bad one so Watt coming back would effectively replace him. 

I’d be all for it to be honest but I would be very very surprised if it happened. 

It’s a non starter and just a bit of fun, but I reckon I’d take back every ex-Well player (bar Polworth and Gallagher) currently playing in the premier league! 😂 

It's an odd odd conundrum the goals conceded and goals scored column.

On one hand we aren't really conceding a lot of goals, only 2 less than Hearts in 3rd, but every single one is terrible so it does shine a light on it. Hearts have scored plenty mind you.

But, we've only conceded 3 more than Livi in 4th and actually scored 2 more than them! They are 12 points ahead....fine margins is bloody right. 

24 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I’ve heard a few folk say Mandron is a bad one so Watt coming back would effectively replace him. 

I have seen this mentioned too. But nothing from the club. It would sum up our luck at the moment if it were true. Hopefully turn out to be incorrect 🙏. He has done well is his one and a bit games……

I think we might see 4 out and three in tomorrow 

Out - Sol/ Sods/ Shields/ Morris 

in - LB / RCH and either a DM or the bold Tony

SOL came down the clap the fans at the end on Saturday and it did feel like a goodbye. An ironic cheer came up when Shields was subbed, there was a bit of booing when he went off and he was straight down the tunnel. I didn’t join in but the context was that he dodged a 50/50 which could have lead to a breakaway and injured himself trying to get out the way.

i reckon Morris will head south and pick up a gig there where he is a known quantity. Can see ODonnell rocking up at Queens Park or Thistle . It will likely all be loans though.

39 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Carson 

Devlin, Gallagher, Dunne, Tait 

MOH, Donnelly, Polworth

Watt 

White, Main

Ignoring Turnbull that's an ex XI in the top-flight... wouldn't score many but I reckon they'd defend well enough to have as much chance of staying up as our current team.

Murphy too

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Carson 

Devlin, Gallagher, Dunne, Tait 

MOH, Donnelly, Polworth

Watt 

White, Main

Ignoring Turnbull that's an ex XI in the top-flight... wouldn't score many but I reckon they'd defend well enough to have as much chance of staying up as our current team.

Don’t rule out some overseas business, is Lee Erwin still kickin’ a baw? 

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

1341806212_Screenshot2023-01-30at20_32_22.thumb.png.060369a0029e34a74d88dff5058eb639.png

Saw this, then saw we're apparently all but done getting Rudden in, and instantly imagined a Tommy Wright-esque rant from Callum Davidson confirming you've signed Rudden before its announced 😂

I think overlook Tony Watt in our team was the last time we had any sort of bite. I'd say that was more of a factor than Mandron's injury, or I'd hope it would be.

He's on +£6k at United, our top must be on £2.5-3k, I'm sure as far as Dundee United are concerned they'd rather get the lions share and not aid a potential relegation battler. It has England written all over it.