Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The fucking state of that goal.

Goss and McGinn failing to do the absolute fucking basics of defending before Scotland's number 1 in waiting is beaten at his near post.

If I was Cornelius or Tierney I'd be at a fucking loss to see how I'm getting in that team because we've tried a variant of the Goss/Slattery +1 midfield for over a year now and it's been fuckin howling throughout. 

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

If I was Cornelius or Tierney I'd be at a fucking loss to see how I'm getting in that team because we've tried a variant of the Goss/Slattery +1 midfield for over a year now and it's been fuckin howling throughout. 

If Tierney doesn't start on Wednesday I'll be close to giving up. One of the few positives today.

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Goss and McGinn failing to do the absolute fucking basics of defending before Scotland's number 1 in waiting is beaten at his near post.

There was a time I was raging at Steve Clarke not giving Kelly a cap / debut. Now I understand. He should be nowhere near the Scotland set up based on current form and performances.

I don't know what some of you on the "let him get the window out the way" bus are really expecting.

We had a tough run of fixtures from late September but beyond Ibrox it was our fellow bottom feeders. Since the world cup and hunnorum aside, from a possible 15 points we have 3 maybe only saved a worse statistic if the called off St Mirren game at FP went ahead.

Kilmarnock 2-2 (1 point)

Livi 1-1 (1 point)

Hibs 2-3 (0 points)

Ross County 1-1 (1 point)

St Mirren 0-1 (0 points)

Having games go against you in decisions or fine margins is one thing but that team today as highlighted by some St Mirren fans is without one ounce of spirit.

Every team in this shite league is looking to see when they play us. We are the fixture you get something if you're shite yourselves. Pure and simple.

Edited by Kapowzer

Giving Hammell was the cheap option at the time. We needed an experienced manager. We need one now even more.

you can’t keep sticking out the same players and say we need to learn. I can’t see this team as it stands surviving the drop.

1 minute ago, Alanos said:

Giving Hammell was the cheap option at the time. We needed an experienced manager. We need one now even more.

you can’t keep sticking out the same players and say we need to learn. I can’t see this team as it stands surviving the drop.

In fairness to the board our two viable candidates (by all accounts) in summer were Simo and Hammell. I'd have gone the other way but we were picking between two options full of negatives.

The situation in January is always different though because there's been a wad of managers emptied from the English lower leagues through autumn. The pool of viable candidates is always going to be bigger and, in contrast to summer, we're actually at a much better places in our cycle for a new manager to take over.

What I don't understand (much like needlessly extending Alexander) is why we didn't keep Hammell's old job free to at least give us an easier option of shuffling him back. Maybe he made it clear he wouldn't take it (who knows - but I'd be surprised) but looking at our situation and 100% committing to Hammell just seems odd.

52 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Don't forget Lamie getting beaten to the ball by Main

2 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

Don't forget Lamie getting beaten to the ball by Main

In my defence, I was too shook by two senior players failing to identify their men.

Lamie's first half performance looked like he'd been huffing glue in the warm up.

I mean, I have sympathy in so much as the circumstances in which Hammell got the job weren't ideal but since then it's just been a series of poor decisions and bad choices that he, as manager, is entirely in control of whether it's signing known sick notes to deciding Brian Kerr was the ideal guy to have as his assistant or completely ignoring the state of our defence over the first half of the season.

I've said it often enough but I'm all for Hammell as manager and the 'big picture' that he represents but everyone at the club seemingly choosing to overlook the short term factor that maybe he and Brian Kerr aren't very good coaches for this level of football feels like a massive elephant in the room.

We're 6+ months in and we're still shipping comedy goals and it's tough to name a player in the side who's actually improved on Hammell and Kerr's watch.

Yes an amount of that is on our idiot players but there's no way it doesn't come back on Hammell and Kerr if they're either a) not fixing it on the training ground or b) not addressing things in terms of recruitment. We've 3 days of the window left and we're down a left back, haven't touched a paper thin midfield and still seem to be hoping Ricki fucking Lamie comes good (again).

I get that Hammell might be a bit p***kly about his credentials being questioned (especially if it's coming from a chump like me who's sat on their couch eating chips) but if to date there's been no sign of improvement in very specific areas it might be an idea to maybe start having a think outside the box as to how that gets fixed. Clue: it's maybe not just rinse, repeating whatever the f**k we've been doing since July.

There's f**k all between 75% of the teams in this league. We know that. That's another game we've lost by a single goal and our goal difference is the reason we're still 9th.

Traditionally we've shown we're capable of making decisions when it comes to necessary changes and tbh, you'd think that the fact we were sitting on £4m+ in cash in the bank on 31st May would mean that we've got some scope to fucking sort things out rather than just sitting on our hands doing the same thing week in, week out and scratching our collective heads when we're coming up short.

Edited by capt_oats

8 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

In my defence, I was too shook by two senior players failing to identify their men.

Lamie's first half performance looked like he'd been huffing glue in the warm up.

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. He look completely uninterested today. Didn’t want the ball at any point. His first half performance was utterly abysmal.

1 hour ago, Lukovic said:

If Tierney doesn't start on Wednesday I'll be close to giving up. One of the few positives today.

Thought he looked very lively when he came on. Although he was up against a rather ghostly midfield which was largely posted missing for much of the match

I can see why we have concentrated on bringing in attacking players, we created nothing and seldom do.  At the back we don’t get overrun, our goals conceded are individual mistakes and losing one a game wouldn’t be the inevitable loss that it is if we at least scored one or two.

I think we should mix it up a bit, what about trying a forward pass?

On 10/08/2022 at 12:18, Handsome_Devil said:

Brilliant.

Part of me says if our top-flight time has to be up, let's implode properly rather than being relegated by a couple of points or the playoff. Appoint Lennon. Let's have one win at Xmas and struggle to reach double figures. Sack Lennon. Burns bridges and go down with bodies everywhere.

After 37 years it's the only way to go.

Just remembered tonight I posted this in August. Hmm.

55 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Glad I’m not the only one who noticed that. He look completely uninterested today. Didn’t want the ball at any point. His first half performance was utterly abysmal.

He was better second half but a right sided centre half needed asap so Blaney can move over to the left. Think Blaney shows real promise. Calm composed and can actually pass the ball to his own teammates