Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Aw they defo are. I'm just itching for them to mention it in someway

I don't know if it was just because the window was *slamming* shut but we announced Johansen before his work permit had cleared.

"Sondre Solholm Johansen has joined Motherwell.

The Norwegian defender has signed a three-year contract, pending the processing of his work permit and international clearance."

Link

I can see why it'd maybe take a while to sort things out in this case but we don't necessarily have to have the permit cleared in order to announce. Equally, he can sign subject to a work permit being issued.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I don't know if it was just because the window was *slamming* shut but we announced Johansen before his work permit had cleared.

I can see why it'd maybe take a while to sort things out in this case but we don't necessarily have to have the permit cleared in order to announce. Equally, he can sign subject to a work permit being issued.

I'd be all for another big handsome b*****d Scandi centre half jetting in at the end of the window. Only caveats - being better at fitba and disnae run in reverse.

24 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm going to predict this Japanese lad will be Casper Sloth levels of shite.

That would be sad and quite funny in equal measure 🙈

I am going to predict he is going to make Reo Hatate look like Casper Sloth 🤞

The general discourse around Danzaki has just been quite a laugh tbh.

On one hand you've had "analysts" on Asian football surprised that we're signing him because he's not as good as the other Japanese players who have arrived in the league.

Lads, consider me shocked that we're not signing players at the same level as *checks notes*...Celtic.

Also, same guy...6 months ago "we saw what Danzaki can do in the ALM".

Then you've got the simps in our support taking the "good to see Motherwell not signing players from the English lower tiers in England" line as if some of our best signings haven't been precisely players from the lower leagues in England and for every Ojamaa we've had a Casper Sloth and Christian Ilic.

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm going to predict this Japanese lad will be Casper Sloth levels of shite.

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

He's either going to be class or the new Deimantis Petracompetitionwinner. No in-between. 

I get it lads. Setting yer selves for a let down, but not a shock.
I am a bit weirded out that we're focusing (like fúck) on the top end when the defence is in a state and the (defensive) midfield is non existent.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:
Lads, consider me shocked that we're not signing players at the same level as *checks notes*...Celtic

I have never seen that guys tweets other than what you just showed me. But I'd bet he's a clown.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I am a bit weirded out that we're focusing (like fúck) on the top end when the defence is in a state and the (defensive) midfield is non existent.

Based on players who have either left (Penney, Maguire) or are injured (Efford, Mugabi, Carroll, McGinley) plus Josh Morris having apparently disappeared this is what we look like (IMO) - including Danzaki.

lineup.png.0aad39f7f31f9e2dfc1c3a70f188ce52.png

36 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I mean he collects yellow cards like they're Panini stickers so I'm going to go for probably. 

I stood on the terracing along the pitch and found it strange compared to my normal watching experience up the back of the Cooper. We were so close to the pitch you could just about hear the cogs in Callum Slattery's brain turning as he looked at the Arbroath player on the touchline at the halfway line, looked around, thought there's no danger and then thought "ah f*** it, I'll do him anyway". Cue one Arbroath player in a crumpled heap and one needless booking for Slattery. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Flow was asked last night about announcements

image.png.6c5e6b252f60c1a3e3ae097fd32169f8.png

From the sound of that he's signed but just not officially announced. Which is fine I guess? It'll just annoy the #announce crowd.

"Close to one" doesn't rule out others I suppose.

If the window closes at the end of the month that gives us what 4 days to bring in another 3? Maybe?

With Maguire already away and Shields looking like he's heading for a loan "one in, one out" feels right? Again, that's totally fine on the basis that we've managed to shift a couple.

You'd think with Maguire being loaned out, and always having been  a steady, if uninspiring option, that a central mid surely must be close to a deal?. Leaving ourselves even lighter in there just isn't an option, so I'm still hopeful at least that him being away is an indication someone better is incoming.

Dunno if Blaney is being seen from within the club as enough to answer the issues at the back and, to be fair, early impressions suggest he could be decent, but would still like a big b*****d centre half anaw to shore it up, right enough. 

So, a centre half, centre mid, and a left back, shooty in. Get it done Burrows, etc.

Edited by 'WellDel

Sounds like Danzaki is done and dusted. Good stuff, hope he's not shite. With Danzaki, Mandron and Crankshaw that's us hopefully sorted out the top end of the park

That gives us another 4 days to get hold of a left back, a defensive midfielder and potentially another CB. Maybe Blaney is being seen as ready to step in but it's quite a risk to throw a January signing from LOI in to try and sort out whatever it is we've got going on back there. You've got to think that we're very close to getting another midfielder in seeing as we've allowed Maguire to leave.  

I don't see us signing a CB with Lamie, Blaney, Mcginn, Sol, and Mugabi on the books. 

I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in a LB. McGinn and SOD can fill in, but the latter couldn't get a game at his preferred position, and McGinn isn't going to give us anything in attack.

The number 6 position is the biggest one for me, as we have no one that can really play there. Mcginn was ok I'm there, but I'm not keen on someone learning on the job at such a crucial point of the season.

Still no mention of Morris? 

Allowing them (Shields, Maguire) to leave on loan gives us a bit more scope wages wise as we head into to the part of the window that clubs allow players to leave that are a bit 50/50. I'd expect us to do a couple of bits of business. But I'll be surprised if one is a centre back. Wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson called back from Albion Rovers - very well thought of by Hammy, mentioned at the AGM I'm sure, and the club as the left back option long term.

Edited by eliphas