Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Scottish cup TV fixtures announced. ViaPlay got the old firm, BBC picked the Hearts and the Darvel Matches.

So Saturday 3pm Kick off it is!

Yas. This season is already paying for a few years of Cup boredom. Now all we need is to get through this and draw the winner of the Ayr/Cove/Elgin tie away and I promise I'll never complain about boring fixtures/Morton again. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Yas. This season is already paying for a few years of Cup boredom. Now all we need is to get through this and draw the winner of the Ayr/Cove/Elgin tie away and I promise I'll never complain about boring fixtures/Morton again. 

All we need is for someone to forget to microwave the two OF balls and we may have a chance.

Good news for us & him. I reckon dropping down a level is good for him because he was never going to make it with us. He got retired as a CB years ago against St Johnstone and he lacks most of the attributes required to play in midfield in the top flight. 

FWIW I think he will make a pretty alright career in the championship. 

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is it a good move for us though?

:lol:

Fair play. I was waiting on that.

With Maguire I think I think most comments on him here a few pages back are pretty accurate. @Handsome_Devil@Swello and @well fan for life have summed it up far more succinctly than me above.

He's very much a 'tidy' player. He's got two good feet but he's never really done enough to cement a spot in our first team. He's also slightly unfortunate in that his peer group at the club happened to be the likes of Turnbull, Campbell, Cadden etc and he's not any of them.

IIRC he started at the club as a midfielder but was shunted about the park trying to find him a position. We tried him at CB and Robinson pretty much ended that after St Johnstone won 5-1 at FP. After that he went back to midfield.

As I say he actually has all the tools, he has a good physique, has good feet, he's not a bad player but as @Swello says he's just doesn't seem to have an outstanding attribute at our level. Except beep tests. He's fucking brilliant at those.

The fact he's moving to a similarly sized club whose fanbase actually have expectations of promotion is a good move for him as equally there will be expectations on him to actually perform.

Posted this the other day but of all his managers Alexander used him the most (he also missed the 2nd half of our season where things went completely sideways so none of that is on him):

1425582960_Screenshot2023-01-24at18_50_05.thumb.png.6d4ac834b17e1fafe3bd7a9aae13e6a1.png
232497273_Screenshot2023-01-24at21_48_18.thumb.png.c091bc20d83e5a213615241f94f05547.png

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

From our point of view - I wonder if this bit of clearing the decks makes room for a much needed midfield destroyer in our squad.

All our business so far this window has pretty much been like for like and with Maguire away to Dens it only leaves us with Goss, Slattery and Cornelius for the 2 pivot spots in a 4231.

You'd kind of hope that an actual #6 is the plan.

Like, I don't see Danzaki signing having any bearing on Maguire's loan.

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He's got two good feet

My main memory of the covid season was Jock Brown’s love of Barry Maguire and being completely in awe of the fact he was capable of hitting the first man at a set piece with both his left and right foot.

6 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

My main memory of the covid season was Jock Brown’s love of Barry Maguire and being completely in awe of the fact he was capable of hitting the first man at a set piece with both his left and right foot.

:D

To be fair, I do remember Barry hitting a couple of half-decent free kicks into the right area, and it seems in football you only have to do something good a couple of times in front of a pundit or commentator to get a reputation that sticks for yonks afterwards, however meritless it turns out to be.

I'm rather hoping Jock Brown was watching me playing 5-a-side as I've managed to Cruyff-turn nutmeg two people in successive weeks.  It'd rather fun for this fat old bloke who has always been shite at football to be known til the end of my days for that, rather than tripping over my own feet or the ball.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

17 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

He did the same with Ray McKinnon for fucking years - I laughed when he adopted Barry.

25 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I think if you're 6'2", to be taking corners and not be in the box attacking them, you must be great at them (Charlie Mulgrew for example), Maguire wasn't.