Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. It's mentioned in the Strategic Report that:

So that's nice.

I also noticed that we had more cash in the bank at end of year 22 than we did in the previous set of accounts. Again, "Yay!"

I don't know if it was mentioned at the AGM but was there a first instalment of payment on the pitch included in the new set of accounts.

Not really discussed but per accounts 560k of pitch costs were paid pre year end. 

0DA87376-09EE-4DB5-95DB-E663C33336B4.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the accounts are "healthy" now - but the concern is how quickly we burn through that big wedge of cash in the bank as we are operating at a loss as things stand.

Presumably that's the plan though - the chance of making a profit every season is virtually nil for various reasons outside our control so we try to make a big profit every so often and that then subsidies the next few years (or major investment). 

In that sense the annual accounts offer a state of affairs but the 12-month p+l isn't really relevant compared to our rolling 3-5 year finances.

17 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Presumably that's the plan though - the chance of making a profit every season is virtually nil for various reasons outside our control so we try to make a big profit every so often and that then subsidies the next few years (or major investment). 

In that sense the annual accounts offer a state of affairs but the 12-month p+l isn't really relevant compared to our rolling 3-5 year finances.

That was the plan (and it's worked sell over the past few years) - but the point is that in the next couple of years, we aren't going to generate the type of surplus that we need to keep some money in the bank to cover the bad years *and* spend enough on wages to stay competitive in the middle of our league.

We had a cycle that was very (record) profitable but we are at the end of it and so those conditions aren't there at the moment unless we massively over-achieve on the pitch, which isn't looking likely.

On a non-accounting/AGM note, I have this wee feeling that we're about to go on a good wee run. Not based on anything really...just a feeling. I think we're going to be more than okay.

1 hour ago, Pettigrew said:

Not really discussed but per accounts 560k of pitch costs were paid pre year end. 

Cheers. That was the section I had picked up on but wasn't 100% if I was misreading or not. Basically I wasn't clear on whether it was actually a payment that was included in the accounts or not given that it's talking about it in relation to an increase in Non-current assets:

"The Club’s Non-current assets increased to £6.3m as a result of continued investment in both player and stadium assets. The principal stadium addition was the first £560k towards the new hybrid pitch..."

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Kerr/McCann sales were included in the accounts we've just put out (think its roughly £1.8m we made from those sales, profit was announced as ~£1m).

But aye, we shouldve lost a fortune in the last 12 months. Low league position, huge squad (30+ players as it stands), around £400k+ on fees rumoured if we sign White for "6 figures", out the Scottish Cup (x2) and League Cup early, 11th placed finish.

The 3 stand fiasco was just one game and resulted in a crowd almost identical to league games with us taking a smaller percentage of the gate, still not sure how much we'll have made (if anything) from that.

Ah right, Companies House is still only showing your accounts to 31st May 2021.

As I say it wasn't a dig at Saints it's just you're a club that's an interesting comparison for us in terms of strategy and the fact that from the outside looking in you seem to have moved away from the sort of approach that established the whole "well run club" tag.

Like, we signed Jordan White but we didn't chuck £100k at ICT for him (we also emptied him after 6 months). :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Lads, we're fucking #massive

He's doing a good job of containing his excitement.

Probably realising he hasn't brought enough warm clothes. There's never enough warm clothes. He's just arrived from summer in Australia so I fully expect to see him with gloves and tights on at Paisley.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ah right, Companies House is still only showing your accounts to 31st May 2021.

As I say it wasn't a dig at Saints it's just you're a club that's an interesting comparison for us in terms of strategy and the fact that from the outside looking in you seem to have moved away from the sort of approach that established the whole "well run club" tag.

Like, we signed Jordan White but we didn't chuck £100k at ICT for him (we also emptied him after 6 months). :lol:

I don't think we've necessarily abandoned it fully in that we're still living well within our means and aren't in any danger of running out of cash like so many before us. The issue stems from the fact we've now got an incompetent hierarchy structure who don't seem to have any real sense or control over things like we used to have. A better run club would have invested the money we had gained in a sensible manner with long term strategy, we haven't done that so any good work from a previous life has just been undone and we're back to square one. Which is still a totally solvent club running within its means and with a rainy day fund (just not nearly as large as it should be).   

10 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It's Burns Night, surely Haggis Pakora?

great shout, I'm away to Asda in 5 for a menial task (ie I'm being sent a twag to Asda) so I am getting haggis pakora.