Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Calm down. Just a suggestion as United seem to be overspending and are in the same league. No incompetence on your part inferred. 

Al least you got a greenie. From a surprising source as well. Never saw that coming….yawn 

United we're mentioned along with Dundee, though not County, along these lines last season.

The external investment thing is cracking pub/back of an envelope debate.

You can see why, say, Hibs would be attractive - stadium and facilities to be filled, potential fan base etc, renowned youth system. It's a bit precarious but there's just about a reasonable path to profit.

United less so - smaller crowds, poorer stadium, less corporate chances etc. Does any extra investment really make a big difference to Aberdeen and the Edinburgh teams? The chance of making a sustainable profit here must be less than 50-50, I assume there's a tax write-off benefit at play.

Anyone smaller than that and handing the club money as a serious investment (as opposed to a ticking over loan) is delusional.

Hearts are living the dream here obviously as to make a lasting difference it either needs millions or to be over several years and they seem to have secured both. Fair play to them and it's likely they'll establish themselves as third for a bit...but even then they're miles behind the OF and not so much better than the rest they're invincible over 90 mins (losing to Killie in the LC etc).

We have nothing in that scale and looking for creative alternatives is great - but I'd have low expectations of success, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it already...

28 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Calm down. Just a suggestion as United seem to be overspending and are in the same league. No incompetence on your part inferred. 

Al least you got a greenie. From a surprising source as well. Never saw that coming….yawn 

Does someone need a hug?

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This all sounds a bit shite tbh. Maybe we should just go down and hang out with Morton.

I was actually thinking about Morton the other day having seen their support at Celtic. When you think of all the promotions (60? More?) since their last top-flight relegation, you wonder just how they've contrived to not come up since. You'd think purely on the law of averages they'd have fluked a good team in the last three decades.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This all sounds a bit shite tbh. Maybe we should just go down and hang out with Morton.

Aye - it was a wee bit downbeat - but given that Directors have a duty to ensure the business is a going concern over the coming years, it was the right conversation to have and it would be worse if they said "it's all fine, we've got millions in the bank and Wee Al and David will be sold soon". 

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Hearts are living the dream here obviously as to make a lasting difference it either needs millions or to be over several years and they seem to have secured both. Fair play to them and it's likely they'll establish themselves as third for a bit...but even then they're miles behind the OF and not so much better than the rest they're invincible over 90 mins (losing to Killie in the LC etc).

Hearts have really nailed it, IMO. Taking advantage of the fact that you are based in and backed by wealthy people in a wealthy part of the country gives them the immediate leeway that we simply don't have, but similarly, they're hugely commercially driven off the park.

While there's various clubs doing various things, Hearts have long recognised that the way to make yourself more money is, I realise this sounds daft, but to do it yourself. The SPFL can make bits more money here and there centrally, but with the title sponsors and tv deal wrapped up for the foreseeable, expecting more is pushing it, so they've got a really strong focus on that. Not only are you making more money, but by doing it yourself you're not sharing it with anyone else.

f**k knows what the American owners are doing.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It'll be interesting to see St Johnstone's numbers this year for comparison given their last published accounts for their cup double season showed a £507k loss. They had a drop off in league position last season and by all accounts they've been running a huge squad and chucking fees at players.

You'd think having crowds back in would mitigate things a fair bit especially as they've (very publicly) handed over stands to the OF plus selling Ali McCann and Jason Kerr but still...

The Kerr/McCann sales were included in the accounts we've just put out (think its roughly £1.8m we made from those sales, profit was announced as ~£1m).

But aye, we shouldve lost a fortune in the last 12 months. Low league position, huge squad (30+ players as it stands), around £400k+ on fees rumoured if we sign White for "6 figures", out the Scottish Cup (x2) and League Cup early, 11th placed finish.

The 3 stand fiasco was just one game and resulted in a crowd almost identical to league games with us taking a smaller percentage of the gate, still not sure how much we'll have made (if anything) from that.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

*please* tell me that there wasn't someone hanging around the Glasgow Airport arrival hall with a motherwell scarf. Still, it gives folk something to do now that Louis is away.

Got to be that guy that hangs around the stadium on deadline day mistaking the window cleaner for a new centre back. 

And yknow what, I’m 100% in support of this behaviour. 

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

*please* tell me that there wasn't someone hanging around the Glasgow Airport arrival hall with a motherwell scarf. Still, it gives folk something to do now that Louis is away.

“Welcome to our great wee airport”. 

35 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's an SNS photo so it'll have been an agency thing.

33 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Very healthy, to my untrained eye.

Aye. It's mentioned in the Strategic Report that:

"The Club’s balance sheet continues to reflect a Club on a sound financial footing"

So that's nice.

I also noticed that we had more cash in the bank at end of year 22 than we did in the previous set of accounts. Again, "Yay!"

I don't know if it was mentioned at the AGM but was there a first instalment of payment on the pitch included in the new set of accounts.