Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

A lot of our business this window seems to be hanging on what Hammy said in a presser. 2 bodies was it?

So obviously a multitude of questions arise from that, the first of which was Hammy simply low balling? Is it 2 permanent additions, or something else?

Is Blaney considered one of those two, or because he was a signed deal way back was he not thought to be included in that?

Will Penney be considered as one of the two or not because he's already here but not secured beyond January?

Aarons and Moult's loan costs would have been calculated and budgeted for the full season. Aarons already returned to parent club so no more cash out there. 

The club had agreed with the Terriers that should the winger sustain a longer-term injury during his stay at Fir Park, the agreement could be brought to a premature end.

Nothing official from the club about Moult but everything points to another termination, if so why no announcement?

We can't be on the hook for any more money with the pair of them considering they were both injury prone at time of resigning. It would seemingly be crazy if the same safeguard wasn't put in place with Louis.

Is it common for a loaned to club to have a clause written in a portion of medical bills for guys injured on their watch? I know Scotland does it.

What I don't think anyone is prepared for on here (especially as the third goal at Ibrox seemed to stimulate an extra level of foreboding) is what if we get a decent offer for Slattery? Up and down form of late, spat with the cops, on his day a decent player and one of the few in this team I'd be sorry to see go.

However based on his performances so far maybe Penney will have secured a move like Jordan Archer did to QPR and we'll have no say on the matter.

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

However based on his performances so far maybe Penney will have secured a move like Jordan Archer did to QPR and we'll have no say on the matter.

Archer was a free agent when he signed for us on a permanent and it was only ever intended to be a short term thing. So his move to Middlesboro was when his deal was about to expire and we thought Carson was back fit. Chances are we'd already told him his services would no longer be required at the end of that contract.

He moved to QPR from Boro.

Penney's situation is a loan. He has a club until the end of the season at least. If he moves on it'll be Ipswich that will have to sanction it.

Devante Cole (the first time) is probably the better comparison to Penney just now in that we had a short term loan deal that expired in January. We wanted to extend but Wigan chose to sell him on to Doncaster or at least let them take over the remainder of his contract.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Nothing official from the club about Moult but everything points to another termination, if so why no announcement?

We can't be on the hook for any more money with the pair of them considering they were both injury prone at time of resigning. It would seemingly be crazy if the same safeguard wasn't put in place with Louis.

The same safeguard was in place with Louis so I was told. I mentioned it back when he re-joined.

If he is genuinely getting an injury assessed then why would Motherwell leave the door open ? Out of loyalty ? Surely it cannot be because we think he will overcome this injury and play a major role in 2023. He may but history suggests otherwise. 

Certainly is a strange one as it has been at least a few weeks since it was first mentioned he was back at Burton. Are the doctors baffled ? Are Burton being difficult ? Did Louis ask Hammell to give him till the end of this year to convince him he is due another stint at Fir Park. Are we waiting to see if we can get a better replacement. As in a player that can actually play games with little risk ? Questions Questions……who knows…..

Would it be wrong of me to point out we had Richard Tait, Tom Aldred and Peter Hartley all at the club during the first half of the 18/19 season under Robinson and were still utter gash? 

We had 18 points from 18 games that season, the exact same number we have now. Only difference was back then Dundee and St Mirren were both rank rotten and cut adrift so it gave us a bit of a cushion from relegation. 

However it actually took for Robinson to rip things up in January and try something different to turn our season round. Changing formation, style of play etc. 

Call me cynical but I just don’t buy that bringing in a lower league English journeyman or two to do a bit of shouting and pointing is going to suddenly fix our problems. 

Edited by Casagolda

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Would it be wrong of me to point out we had Richard Tait, Tom Aldred and Peter Hartley all at the club during the first half of the 18/19 season under Robinson and were still utter gash? 

We had 18 points from 18 games that season, the exact same number we have now. Only difference was back then Dundee and St Mirren were both rank rotten and cut adrift so it gave us a bit of a cushion from relegation. 

However it actually took for Robinson to rip things up in January and try something different to turn our season round. Changing formation, style of play etc. 

Call me cynical but I just don’t buy that bringing in a lower league English journeyman or two to do a bit of shouting and pointing is going to suddenly fix our problems. 

Aye it's a fair point from that season. 

It won't fix it on its own but a new organiser/shouter would help I think, alongside the other changes people have mooted,  but they do need to be able to play still

The big challenge Hammel has is there isn't really a silver bullet to fix the issues. 

Edited by eliphas

Shouty players aren't always leaders, and what we're short of is good players.  Not even the revisionist history version of Peter Hartley can shout skill into a player. 

The clamour to bring back moult was one thing, but the idea that someone who spent a year on our bench (after getting ragdolled by David Goodwillie) could be the answer to our problems is heads gone stuff. 

I could see him at the very best being an experienced bench player that could come on in the last few minutes to try and score from a corner.

21 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Shouty players aren't always leaders, and what we're short of is good players.  Not even the revisionist history version of Peter Hartley can shout skill into a player. 

The clamour to bring back moult was one thing, but the idea that someone who spent a year on our bench (after getting ragdolled by David Goodwillie) could be the answer to our problems is heads gone stuff. 

I could see him at the very best being an experienced bench player that could come on in the last few minutes to try and score from a corner.

No one has said we should resign Hartley but a player in a similar mould (i.e. - someone who can come in and immediately make a difference) is very much needed. 

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

It wouldn't be wrong. Quite the opposite. It'd be quite correct.

I suppose the argument I'd make here is that the issues we have at the moment are very different to the issues we had in the first half that season where we had Sammon and Main up front and other teams in the league had worked out how to play against Robinson's Thunderdome side.

The shouts that we need better players are, of course, also correct but it's had not to look at us just now and feel that a couple of players who could offer a bit of "leadership" in the mould of yer Tait, Aldred and Hartley would make a difference if they were dropped into our starting XI.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The shouts that we need better players are, of course, also correct but it's had not to look at us just now and feel that a couple of players who could offer a bit of "leadership" in the mould of yer Tait, Aldred and Hartley would make a difference if they were dropped into our starting XI.

Absolutely this. We are soft to the core and badly in need of leadership at both ends of the pitch. At the back a decent, imposing centre half who can be a bit of a b*****d when required, both in terms of marshalling a defence and rallying the troops, and also raking the studs down an opponents ankles to get the upper hand in a tussle when required. It's an attribute you need when you're fighting at the bottom, and one we simply don't have at the moment.

Up front Van Veen can make a lot of noise, but that's usually just from his dummy being spat. What I would give for a nippy wee fucker in the mould of McDonald who will battle for every ball and demand that those around him do exactly the same, while getting in the faces of the opposition and the ref to gain any small advantage he can.

It’s inevitable that we sign another of our ex players.

I noticed Ryan Bowman’s contract is up in the summer and he hasn’t had many 90mins recently. He’s had some decent numbers since leaving us. Certainly put himself about (RIP Cardoso). Not difficult to imagine him being an improvement on what we have at the moment.

Also noticed his partner in crime (Curtis Main) with a nice finish against Livi the others night.

They were no where near the best strikers we’ve had in past 10 years but we’re so bad up top right now they’d probably make a sizeable difference. 

I think it is clear that while we all say we would like to see nice football, the truth is we just want to watch us batter folk. Which is fine. Can we get Jim Ross in to replace the guy that forgets everyone's name, even though we have barely any players? 

35 minutes ago, tonicg said:

It’s inevitable that we sign another of our ex players.

I noticed Ryan Bowman’s contract is up in the summer and he hasn’t had many 90mins recently. He’s had some decent numbers since leaving us. Certainly put himself about (RIP Cardoso). Not difficult to imagine him being an improvement on what we have at the moment.

Bowman had that thing with his heart while playing for Shrewsbury and ended up having surgery over the summer.

No idea if that's a factor in him not playing regular 90 mins like.

I know it's a bit tongue in cheek all this chat but it really does show how bad things in certain areas.

Meanwhile, KVV is somehow well on track to hit 20 this season which is remarkable.

One for the stattos, how many Motherwell players have been on a double figure goal tally by hogmanay?