Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 20/12/2022 at 08:31, capt_oats said:

2.5 year deal for Blaney leaves the contract expiries looking like this:

2023: Fox, Connelly, O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Devine, Cornelius, Goss, Efford, Speirs
2024: Kelly, Oxborough, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinley, Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Van Veen, Morris, Shields
2025: Blaney, Tierney, Miller

By position this is who's contracted for next season:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough
DF: Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinley, Blaney
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Tierney, Miller
FW: Van Veen, Morris, Shields

Total: 15

OOC:
GK: Fox, Connelly
DF: O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Devine
MF: Cornelius, Goss, Speirs
FW: Efford

Total: 11

Loans expiring: Moult (Burton), McKinstry (Leeds), Penney (Ipswich)

Mckinstry is till the end of the season 

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

Would we be interested. Should we be interested ? 

That's a pretty layered question.

As I've said, I reckon our market at the moment (and generally tbh) is players who have either been frozen out or are surplus to requirement. With Scott he can play wide and potentially through the middle.

We're short in both those areas and going by the press reports he's just been told to f**k off by his current club.

Also, based on Hammell's recruitment thus far bringing back a former player doesn't seem that wild a shout given 3 of his 4 signings have been exactly that.

So...would we be interested? Sure, it wouldn't be a massive surprise.

Should we be interested?

While not quite the extreme sick-note status of Moult and Aarons, Scott still hasn't really played that much fitba' since he left. He was injured in his first training session when he moved to Hull, needed surgery and was out for ages. He was injured (again) during the summer.

That's before you get into the whole conversation around his alleged (lack of) conditioning while he was at Hibs.

Based on his time at Hull and his loan at Hibs I'd be surprised if his stock is particularly high.

As far as I can see's not kicked a baw for Hull since his loan at Hibs finished but he and his missus seem to have been having a lovely time cutting about on Hull's dime going by his IG. Good for them.

Here's his playing time by club:

1578176520_Screenshot2022-12-21at08_14_02.thumb.png.89ee932f07b0282559f455440d4eb814.png

That said, we know from his time at the club he probably has a higher ceiling than say, Connor Shields and he's a technical player with a good first touch.

Bring him home.

IMG_7440.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

Just seen on the PA: "The Rugby Park side have taken just one point and scored just two goals in their nine league matches on the road this term."

Hello, I'd like to order a massive dose of THE FEAR, please...yes, delivery to Fir Park by Friday. Actually, do you do a subscription service?

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Just seen on the PA: "The Rugby Park side have taken just one point and scored just two goals in their nine league matches on the road this term."

Hello, I'd like to order a massive dose of THE FEAR, please...yes, delivery to Fir Park by Friday. Actually, do you do a subscription service?

Well, out home form this season has been poor as well (1 win, 1 draw, lost the rest).

It will be a stoppable force meets a moveable object.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

James Scott is a massive no for me unless he takes £500 per week. Given he's probably on £8k I doubt he'd be interested.

If he has put some of his £8k a week for 2 and a half years in the bank then he could slum it for a year on £500.  Some of me thinks, what if, what if he had stayed and become a stalwart.  But then why has no one else got a tune out of him?

1 hour ago, ropy said:

If he has put some of his £8k a week for 2 and a half years in the bank then he could slum it for a year on £500.  Some of me thinks, what if, what if he had stayed and become a stalwart.  But then why has no one else got a tune 

Funny old game, imagine he stayed and got injured with us. Stuck on 500 quid a week. Instead he signed for  hl, got injured on day 1 but was on 8k a week and with a signing on fee in bus bank. (Wages are a total guess based on above)

Scott is Jake Hastie +1 season. However, we bought a player in Shields based on a purple patch and he's not really delivered. I think that's called Karma, made easier with £1.4m in and £0 out.

As conveyed the mere fact Jimmy has been a bit part player down south on £8k means his next suitor will use that as an indicator because England is mental. As I said before there would be a fair degree of humble pie to pull on the C&A again so soon, it is a big difference doing so at the end of your career (Pearson/Faddy).

Since a fee would be needed I'd be more inclined to use it to go after the two players Random Guy mentioned (Harry Milne and Charlie Fox) especially if we can't retain Penney. Bonus points if either can play as a left sided centre half. Fox is a 6'3" left back. Neither help us up front however.

There must be another McGinn or Robertson needing the next step on their careers.

Edited by Kapowzer

6 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

There must be another McGinn or Robertson needing the next step on their careers.

Not saying there isn't (and I've not seen the Thistle guys so no comment there) but the chance of us getting them from the Championship is tiny.

Scotland's best youths, more than ever, go to England as kids with the OF and best academy programmes (including ours) sweeping up the rest.

Anyone in the second tier of potential will then be bought/bosmaned by one of Aberdeen/Hibs/Hearts/United rather than us. Nisbett cost Hibs what, 250k?

There's no doubt plenty of guys in the Championship who could be a squad player for us and do kind of ok...but I'll eat my hat if we sign a lower tier player who makes a massive difference to us again.

I dunno, I think there will always be young starlets who fall away and likewise those considered not good enough blossoming in their mid 20's. I do think with your reference to England, data drives everything now and doesn't miss much. I suppose the big one generating excitement at present is Doak and despite being a Celtic fan they couldn't hold onto him in favour of Liverpool.

Be interesting to see how Bailey Rice and Lennon Miller's careers pan out.

It wasn't that long ago that Lawrence Shankland went to the Arabs and his influence can't be ignored (granted more at Hearts than Dundee United). Would/could we have been in the running for his signature? Perhaps if Turnbull's medical didn't come back negative we could have had the £3m sitting in the bank at the time but the wage Shankland was reportedly on would have caused issues. But how often are we sitting with money like that able to invest? Would funds for players be better spent elsewhere?

I do agree I doubt we'd ever be in a position to pay for a youth as so much can go wrong with their development. We are relying on the "family" aspect of the club, first team exposure, can demonstrate a track record and not holding them their progression back which you'd hope a few may sway more grounded parents and players.

Our recruitment team (if you call it that) need to produce the goods in January. UK football has had a hiatus due to the World Cup and without the prep for league games you'd expect Hammy has had time to devote to act on what he's been given. For me this next window is the most interesting in a while.

10 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Scott is Jake Hastie +1 season. However, we bought a player in Shields based on a purple patch and he's not really delivered. I think that's called Karma, made easier with £1.4m in and £0 out.

As conveyed the mere fact Jimmy has been a bit part player down south on £8k means his next suitor will use that as an indicator because England is mental. As I said before there would be a fair degree of humble pie to pull on the C&A again so soon, it is a big difference doing so at the end of your career (Pearson/Faddy).

Since a fee would be needed I'd be more inclined to use it to go after the two players Random Guy mentioned (Harry Milne and Charlie Fox) especially if we can't retain Penney. Bonus points if either can play as a left sided centre half. Fox is a 6'3" left back. Neither help us up front however.

Bonus points if either can play as a left sided centre half, is that Not Shane Blaney?

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

It wasn't that long ago that Lawrence Shankland went to the Arabs and his influence can't be ignored (granted more at Hearts than Dundee United). Would/could we have been in the running for his signature? Perhaps if Turnbull's medical didn't come back negative we could have had the £3m sitting in the bank at the time but the wage Shankland was reportedly on would have caused issues. But how often are we sitting with money like that able to invest? Would funds for players be better spent elsewhere?

That's an intriguing question and we all could debate all night.

Shankland is obviously doing well for Hearts but despite being considered a blue chip signing when United got him, you could argue they were very lucky to get a million for him when they did to escape with what profit they got on him.

His goals got them promoted but they were favourites anyway...could they have invested that cash more broadly and been better off when up? No idea.

Hmmm....

From Hammell's press conference today:

Motherwell confirmed their first January signing earlier this week when they announced the arrival of former Sligo Rovers centre-back Shane Blaney.

"He brings good competition straight away for a position we're quite short in at the moment," Hammell said. "He's been in working with us, is looking good and as soon as January comes he'll be in.

"We're not in a position where we can flood the place and bring four, five or six people in.

"The January window is very difficult. We are looking to do some business still, but it's tough to find someone who fits in with the way we want to play, who also fits in with the financial restrictions we are working with.

"It's a constant process and hopefully between now and the end of January we will have another couple in."

Link

3 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

Given our tendency of letting teams around us pick up points when they need them most I think we can all see what is about to happen.

Tbh, on one hand I didn't expect Hammell to come out and fully outline our recruitment plans to the press. He's done that once already with Snodgrass and it didn't end well.

On the other hand acknowledging that we're short but also saying we're only looking at another couple isn't exactly a confidence filling soundbite.