Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but that Davies goal is probably my favourite Motherwell goal.

Certainly one of the best worked. But favourite. Far too many others too choose imho. For me top 5:

5. Jutkiewicz in 6-6 Hibs game

4. Marc Fitzpatrick - Hearts League Cup Semi

3. Reid - Aberdeen away to clinch 2nd in 2014

2. Louis Moult - 2nd goal in League Cup semi v Rangers 

1. Stevie Kirk 4th goal - Scottish Cup final 

Honourable mentions for Skippy Sunday and Lionel v Rangers in the play offs.

25 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Certainly one of the best worked. But favourite. Far too many others too choose imho. For me top 5:

You can't leave out Psycho's thunderbolt in the 1991 semi-final replay. We're going to need a Top Ten here, at least.

I have a fondness for Hateley’s goal in Odense, first European away goal I had seen, kept us in the tie, effectively the last kick of the ball, first attempt a cross to the back post, had to be retaken, second attempt straight in at the near post, much jumping. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Love the fact none of yours were the 2nd in a 4-0 drubbing of Patrick. All pivotal goals.

Reid’s goal was not anywhere near the beautiful top 5 but for the seethe it should get mentioned in top 10 for me.

Carl McHugh’s volley vs Hearts

Jim Hamilton vs Celtic

Hastie’s run from his own half during the purple patch as we don’t score like that ever.

Van Der Gaag’s goal vs Dunfermline. If that didn’t go in we could very well be where they are these days.

Edited by Kapowzer

28 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Tommy F'n Coyne. He's the measuring stick for every other motherwell striker for me, so they're all kind of screwed. We've had some good ones, but few as intelligent as him.

He's the one former player if I met I'd be a tongue-tied, bashful schoolgirl around. Moult gets close. We're not had a Dougie Arnott since Dougie Arnott.

Here's a debate worthy question:

You've got peak Moult, Coyne, Arnott and Higdon available for our next game plus pick any winger/attacking midfielder (guess most would go for Turnbull? Nicky Law?). How would you set up, who would start and who would be introduced. Robinson would probably crowbar 3 of them into a forward line and therefore have two out of position. Could 2 clever strikers in Coyne and Moult work together? I suppose Wright and Bright did at Crystal Palace .... Sutton and Shearer at Blackburn ..... Sheringham and Solskjaer at Man United.

4 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

He's the one former player if I met I'd be a tongue-tied, bashful schoolgirl around. Moult gets close. We're not had a Dougie Arnott since Dougie Arnott.

Here's a debate worthy question:

You've got peak Moult, Coyne, Arnott and Higdon available for our next game plus pick any winger/attacking midfielder (guess most would go for Turnbull? Nicky Law?). How would you set up, who would start and who would be introduced. Robinson would probably crowbar 3 of them into a forward line and therefore have two out of position. Could 2 clever strikers in Coyne and Moult work together? I suppose Wright and Bright did at Crystal Palace .... Sutton and Shearer at Blackburn ..... Sheringham and Solskjaer at Man United.

I’d have them all on with big Sean at the back on his own.

Maybe there should two separate lists- best goals and best 'occasion' goals.