Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

McGinley is the weirdest one - I don't think the nature of his injury has ever been mentioned to the best of my knowledge (happy to be corrected on that by someone more attentive/ITK than me) and normally with very long term ones, we at least know roughly what the issue is. In any case, losing Penney after a short spell will be a sore one and not something that a fit again McGinely is really going to compensate for.

Absolutely zero shade on McGinley as he gets a fairly shite time of it but assuming Penney being here is a result of Hammell telling the recruitment staff what he wanted to replace Carroll then it's genuinely hard to see the bold Toby being a fit for what Hammell appears to want from a full back.

In the event Ipswich recall Penney I'd imagine that we'd be after a player who has a similar skillset and fits a similar profile.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Absolutely zero shade on McGinley as he gets a fairly shite time of it but assuming Penney being here is a result of Hammell telling the recruitment staff what he wanted to replace Carroll then it's genuinely hard to see the bold Toby being a fit for what Hammell appears to want from a full back.

In the event Ipswich recall Penney I'd imagine that we'd be after a player who has a similar skillset and fits a similar profile.

I'm happy to throw shade on McGinley for almost every performance in C&A I've witnessed. I can distinguish that from his unluckiness on the injury front on a personal level. Granted who would he have known he was a perma-crock and sourcing a large covid was probably a factor a thing but Alexander offering an extension to him was among his top 3 batshit things while in post.

Now that O'Hara has been made the St Mirren captain and by all intents and purposes seems to be a welcome addition in Paisley, anyone wish we'd held on to him at the expense of Spittal? They are on paper very similar players.

Maybe @RandomGuy. could do a fancy analysis as a favour.

I mean, I liked the idea of Mark O'Hara but after 3 seasons at the club with 2 different managers the fact that we were still none the wiser as to what his best position was by the time he left along with him supposedly being one of our highest earners means I'm kind of fine with him having a nice time in Paisley.

Tbh, with his excitable-Labrador-chasing-a-ball approach to the fitba I'm not entirely sure he'd be particularly suited to Hammell-ball anyway and I doubt that he'd be the answer to any of our current problems given he didn't really have the discipline to play as a holding mid when he was used there.

That's before you even get into his injury record. He only started 15 games last season and featured in 21 of 46 games - he was 17th when it game to minutes played.

The bold Juhani played more minutes than MO'H.

980256808_ScreenShot2022-05-01at15_54_27.thumb.png.0f2184b0bed2540cd85d0e40c15793a6.png
621134696_ScreenShot2022-05-01at15_54_50.thumb.png.932b7bf5334e044d60f491e5ef7fdced.png

Edited by capt_oats

I think O'Hara signed as a box-to-box midfielder, was mainly played as a holding midfielder and played his best football for us as a centre-back.

When he finally got his shot in that role last season after Campbell departed, I don't think he was good enough at it. As usual, every game you thought he was a player was followed by two you wondered if he was playing. Alexander's tactics may have contributed to this, but still.

It annoys me to see him scoring headers and long rangers for St. Mirren that he didn't score for us, but it doesn't make me want him back. I've been far from enthused by Spittal so far, but even he has been involved in more goals than O'Hara has in his good season.

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Heard that we are after that Dipo Akinyemi from Ayr, willing to pay a fee. Suspect the majority of the league will be on high alert though.

He will end up at Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen or Dundee United*

* delete as appropriate 

Louis gets that footballers have a few different roles. They're are ambassadors, recruiting sergeants, schmooz and give good value to sponsors as well as performing on a Saturday. Showing up at the Scottish Cup Final in with the crowd elevated him beyond his goals but he's a class act whatever he does.

Big Sol just brightens up everything, he's just sooo dreamy.

6 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

This isn’t a rumour or anything, it’s just a debate we recently had at work and since there’s no game for ages I thought I’d post it here.

Would Chris Cadden get a game for us? And if yes what position?

I'd rather have him wide right than Shields. Rather than that I'd rather he stayed at Hibs mind.