Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, ropy said:

The red line is touching KVV’s toe, is that what counts ?

A7BB8EBF-7756-403F-8218-5D5B3A4440AD.png

I think you're (a) correct and (b) about to send me into a rage where we've been a victim of the type of bawhair decision that makes me fucking hate VAR. 

Is the VAR images released the actual one they use? As far as I'm aware, they're not really obliged to share all angles and information with us paying plebs punters. I'm assuming at least one of their other 5 cameras probably had a better angle than the potato that recorded Jota.  Also, regardless of rules and specific exceptions; the term is "throw-in" not "bounced-off-the-opposition's-napper-in".

Generally, as long as we're not in amongst the battle, I think a "safe" 10-8th finish would be ok for Hammel's first season. The high of his first two games as interim made me hopeful of top-5 ASAP, but in reality that'll have to wait for next season. It's just slightly frustrating the way it's playing out due to the run, but also because we could so easily be 4th or 5th without even half the mistakes or KVV's confidence up. Avoid defeat tomorrow and get to the break to let us heal, train the crap out of the defence and hope that Steve Clarke teaches Kelly how to keep the ball in while he's away. Maybe get him to be a bit quicker releasing the ball for a counter too?

In worse news, the curry and cheese pie was scrubbed off the laminate so I'm guessing that trial was a dud. And the donner pie had sold out by half-time in the Hunter stand so still unable to give a verdict on that.

St Mirren drawing with Rangers, Killie 1-0 on Hibs, Livi 1-0 on Hearts, County 1-0 up on Celtic….…..

We are the only team in the league who as a club and a fanbase seem to think results against the bigger teams are unattainable meanwhile everyone else goes out and treats every game as if points are up for grabs.

Those in our support who think the points will roll in once we face the so called lesser sides are in for a massive fright.

I don't think the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts are big scalps this season. Everyone outside of the top two are beating each other and no one is putting a run of good results together. Europe to relegation is wide open.

We have more than half the season to go, so I'm not going to get wound up by other teams results.

It's been a strange chunk of season.

If you'd been offered this after Sligo, would you have taken it? Yep.

If you'd been offered this having seen our performance v St M/J, would you have taken it? Yep.

And yet, and yet...the size of the job coming up in January is huge, absolutely huge, and if our rookie management team get it wrong there's no doubt we'll end up in the bottom two with 12th a distinct possibility.

My big worry is that we don't play badly and get beat, play well and win and middle through to midtable but rather we're kind of okay every week yet seem to lose in increasingly comical ways. (Even today's goal conceded was a break when Goss effectively took a better chance off Mckinstry's foot).

Those continual tales of woe plus injuries equal relegation, it's seen year after year.

Can we turn it round? Absolutely. Will we? f**k knows. 

Apologies for quoting myself but to update this:

Spoiler
On 07/11/2022 at 11:19, capt_oats said:

Breaking the games we've played this season into the rounds of fixtures it looks like this:

31/07 - St Mirren (W) - 3 pts
06/08 - St Johnstone (L) - 0 pts
13/08 - Aberdeen (W) - 3 pts
20/08 - Livingston (W) - 3 pts
27/08 - Kilmarnock (L) - 0 pts
03/09 - Dundee Utd (X) - 1 pt
01/10 - Celtic (L) - 0 pts
04/10 - Ross County (W) - 3 pts
08/10 - Hibs (L) - 0 pts
16/10 - Rangers (L) - 0 pts

Total - 13 points

22/10 - Aberdeen (L) - 0 pts (-3)
29/10 - Dundee United (W) - 3 pts (+2)
06/11 - Hearts (L) - 0 pts (NC)

Total - 3 points

So as it stands we're -1 point down from the same fixtures in the first round.

31/07 - St Mirren (W) - 3 pts
06/08 - St Johnstone (L) - 0 pts
13/08 - Aberdeen (W) - 3 pts
20/08 - Livingston (W) - 3 pts
27/08 - Kilmarnock (L) - 0 pts
03/09 - Dundee Utd (X) - 1 pt
01/10 - Celtic (L) - 0 pts
04/10 - Ross County (W) - 3 pts
08/10 - Hibs (L) - 0 pts
16/10 - Rangers (L) - 0 pts

Total - 13 points

22/10 - Aberdeen (L) - 0 pts (-3)
29/10 - Dundee United (W) - 3 pts (+2)
06/11 - Hearts (L) - 0 pts (NC)
09/11 - Celtic (X) - 0 pts (NC)
12/11 - St Johnstone (X) - 1 pt (+1)

Total - 4 points

That puts us on the same points from the same fixtures from the first round of games.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Liam Kelly is shite.

I have been thinking this for a few weeks. Shite may be harsh but his form has dropped off a cliff. 

Was watching the Celtic 2nd goal and he runs out at an angle. But makes himself smaller and gets megged by Maeda.  We have conceded a fair few goals recently where I feel he should have done better. 

And yet he could be capped next midweek. That said Clarke will probably play Gordon again as it is an important friendly…….which it really is not. 

We are running at more than a point a game which is the minimum measure I look for.

Has anything been said about our plan for the break?  Couple of weeks off then a preseason, everybody round to Kev’s to watch the World Cup?

27 minutes ago, ropy said:

We are running at more than a point a game which is the minimum measure I look for.

Has anything been said about our plan for the break?  Couple of weeks off then a preseason, everybody round to Kev’s to watch the World Cup?

Nothing explicit here but Hammell vaguely mentions the break in his post match.

He also makes a point about McDiarmid Park being a difficult place to go. Basically saying he's been there with good Motherwell teams and lost - which is something I've always thought relevant when folk are chucking their toys out the pram about *performance*.

Like, when was the last time we actually went to Perth and played well? As opposed to simply winning the battle and getting a result.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

St Mirren drawing with Rangers, Killie 1-0 on Hibs, Livi 1-0 on Hearts, County 1-0 up on Celtic….…..

We are the only team in the league who as a club and a fanbase seem to think results against the bigger teams are unattainable meanwhile everyone else goes out and treats every game as if points are up for grabs.

Dunno where you're getting that from - if you're meaning just this season then our record against the city clubs is on par with Killie and County. Livi are having an excellent season by their standards. Plus, I'd take a guess that all of their squads are in much better shape than ours. I think what you're seeing just now is realistic expectations among the fanbase. Threadbare squad, wasted pre-season (kinda), inexperienced manager dropped in. Folk are being patient under the circumstances. 

If you mean there's a fundamental problem at the heart of the club which goes beyond just this season, then the league tables over the last 15 years will tell you that that's clearly nonsense. 

38 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Absolute nonsense. 

He's not the next *insert favourite goalie here* bur he's far from 'shite'. 

Meh, I am defo over him. He's making saves but directing the ball into the middle of the box on an alarmingly regular basis. Goals are scored when you'd expect him to do better anaw.

Sure he makes a decent save for the cameras every 3 games, aye.