Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, Alexander was emptied on 29th July, Dibble left 10th August.

If you look at the backroom staff he appointed Kerr to replace Lucketti who left along with GA. He's since appointed N. Alexander to replace Dibble.

In terms of the staff he's inherited I don't think he's really had his hands tied in that respect.

Davie Henderson has been here for fucking years same with Ross Clarkson and even more so Aldo.

Andy Boles' replacement was a hire from Ross County and had no prior connection to Alexander AFAIK.

Even the two performance analysis boys who'd been at Salford only had a fairly tenuous Alexander link. As you say, I'm not sure they make any difference when it comes to Hammell's staff.

The one thing I'd say is that prior to his being emptied Alexander had spoken a couple of times about wanting to add another body to the coaching staff.

The 2nd quote below says that he'd spoken to a couple of people:

I'll not lie, without pretending I know what's going on day to day on the training park, I'd feel a lot better about the whole situation if we had an experienced coach supporting Hammell and Kerr.

Ideally someone who can drill a defence to within an inch of its life please.

My main point about inheriting backroom staff (which I think stimulated this and a few other messages) wasn't so much that all the backroom staff would be a nightmare to work with or anything because they were Alexander's boys.

More to do with the fact in the overall picture it is one of the elements gone against us perhaps, in as  much as any new manager who comes in generally likes to setup the structure/get some new staff to suit their way of coaching, recruitment and playing. Albeit in a framework probably set by the club. (e.g. the example someone gave of Robinson immediately employing Martin Foyle)

Under Alexander we pivoted a bit from the Les Hutchison model of 'this is the club framework, drop in any manager and go' and gave Alexander a bit of leeway.

I don't think it will be too much of a surprise if Hammell, because of a completely different playing ethos, has a different ask to the scouts/scouting system and supporting coaching and analysis staff. That will all take time to settle in and if needed get new folk in. 

Edited by eliphas

15 minutes ago, eliphas said:

My main point about inheriting backroom staff (which I think stimulated this and a few other messages) wasn't so much that all the backroom staff would be a nightmare to work with or anything because they were Alexander's boys.

More to do with the fact in the overall picture it is one of the elements gone against us perhaps, in as  much as any new manager who comes in generally likes to setup the structure/get some new staff to suit their way of coaching, recruitment and playing. Albeit in a framework probably set by the club. (e.g. the example someone gave of Robinson immediately employing Martin Foyle)

Under Alexander we pivoted a bit from the Les Hutchison model of 'this is the club framework, drop in any manager and go' and gave Alexander a bit of leeway.

I don't think it will be too much of a surprise if Hammell, because of a completely different playing ethos, has a different ask to the scouts/scouting system and supporting coaching and analysis staff. That will all take time to settle in and if needed get new folk in. 

Aye, I got your point and fully agree that there seemed to be a pivot away from the set up we had and allowed Alexander a bit more latitude to bring in staff. Arguably those were roles that were created rather it being a case of replacing the core staff who were already here.

I suppose I'm just looking at it from the POV that there's still a fair number of the backroom staff there who pre-dated Alexander (and in some cases Robinson, McGhee, Baraclough and McCall).

Boles left for Celtic back in January so he needed replaced anyway. Hinchliffe moved to United. I'm not sure that's inherently different to say, McManus moving to Celtic.

In a coaching sense though our backroom team while Alexander was here amounted to GA, Lucketti, Lasley and Hinchliffe - Hammell has filled 2 of those 3 positions. As I've said though, without any actual knowledge of the ins and outs it still feels to me that we might be a bit light on the coaching side.

By the by, I notice that the Head of Medicine and Performance has dropped off the official site.

image.thumb.png.15f3a8a0716877e524ca56f315358f23.png

1028288293_Screenshot2022-11-08at11_43_38.thumb.png.96228a8307891dedf880bbcc026686c0.png

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I got your point and fully agree that there seemed to be a pivot away from the set up we had and allowed Alexander a bit more latitude to bring in staff. Arguably those were roles that were created rather it being a case of replacing the core staff who were already here.

I suppose I'm just looking at it from the POV that there's still a fair number of the backroom staff there who pre-dated Alexander (and in some cases Robinson, McGhee, Baraclough and McCall).

Boles left for Celtic back in January so he needed replaced anyway. Hinchliffe moved to United. I'm not sure that's inherently different to say, McManus moving to Celtic.

In a coaching sense though our backroom team while Alexander was here amounted to GA, Lucketti, Lasley and Hinchliffe - Hammell has filled 2 of those 3 positions. As I've said though, without any actual knowledge of the ins and outs it still feels to me that we might be a bit light on the coaching side.

By the by, I notice that the Head of Medicine and Performance has dropped off the official site.

1028288293_Screenshot2022-11-08at11_43_38.thumb.png.96228a8307891dedf880bbcc026686c0.png

WTF is a Performance Therapist?

12 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

They can get my coaching for free ....

Stop faffing with these floaty clipped balls and whip it in with real venom. If you're taking a direct free kick, imagine you're passing it to someone standing 20 yards behind the goalmouth, the apex of the arc is the top bin. Leave our fastest player on the halfway line at a corner, I don't care what position he plays other than goalkeeper.

My UEFA badge must be in the post after that.

Sacked for saying “top bin” imo. 

On 06/11/2022 at 22:21, ropy said:

It would be interesting to know how it came about that Moult took the penalty, was it predetermined, did KVV allow Moult to get his name on the scorers list, did Moult have the most confidence on the day?

“Fair play to Kev,” Moult said. “He let me take it. He said: ‘You’ve won it Moulty – on you go – go and get yourself a goal’. 

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Wow! 

The first link is a lot of words that mean absolutley nothing to me!

From the second article, I take it to be a cross between a physio/fitness coach/performance coach?

Thats a lot of science!

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

“Fair play to Kev,” Moult said. “He let me take it. He said: ‘You’ve won it Moulty – on you go – go and get yourself a goal’. 

I've stuck up for KVV but I'm not happy with "Moulty" ngl. A bit of respect please- "Mr Moult" at the very least.

26 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Wow! 

The first link is a lot of words that mean absolutley nothing to me!

From the second article, I take it to be a cross between a physio/fitness coach/performance coach?

Thats a lot of science!

:lol:

Cards on the table those were the first couple of links from a Google search that seemed to vaguely answer the question.

I think your take is probably reasonably close though. I'd imagine they're more housed in the Sports Science/S&C department rather than doing tactical sessions or the like.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Nick Daws l, our Head of Recruitment chap was definitely an Alexander lad. Was assistant to him at Scunthorpe I think it was before moving from coaching to the recruitment side. 

Give Alexander's playing style and, shall we say, single mindedness, on what he need or didn't need I'd imagine the recruitment needed calibrated come Hammy's appointment.

35 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Nick Daws, our Head of Recruitment chap was definitely an Alexander lad. Was assistant to him at Scunthorpe I think it was before moving from coaching to the recruitment side. 

Give Alexander's playing style and, shall we say, single mindedness, on what he need or didn't need I'd imagine the recruitment needed calibrated come Hammy's appointment.

Oh, absolutely. No doubt about that.

IIRC he actually took over as manager of Scunthorpe for a bit after Alexander had been emptied. He'd been assistant manager at AFC Wimbledon before pivoting to a HoR role with them.

Although, I suppose Foyle bailing as quickly after Robinson begs the question as to whether he'd have fared any better than Daws.

A quick recap of Foyle's last window:

• Liam Kelly (loan)
  • Steven Lawless
  • Harry Smith (loan)
  • Sam Foley
  • Jordan Roberts (loan)
  • Eddie Nolan (loan)
  • Robbie Crawford (loan made permanent)
  • Tyler Magloire (loan) 
Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Oh, absolutely. No doubt about that.

IIRC he actually took over as manager of Scunthorpe for a bit after Alexander had been emptied. He'd been assistant manager at AFC Wimbledon before pivoting to a HoR role with them.

Although, I suppose Foyle bailing as quickly after Robinson begs the question as to whether he'd have fared any better than Daws.

A quick recap of Foyle's last window:

• Liam Kelly (loan)
  • Steven Lawless
  • Harry Smith (loan)
  • Sam Foley
  • Jordan Roberts (loan)
  • Eddie Nolan (loan)
  • Robbie Crawford (loan made permanent)
  • Tyler Magloire (loan) 

Offtttt, there's at least £14k a week in that list, only worth about £5k

Fwiw, Foyle's exit was officially announced 21st May 2021.

“Martin and the club had decided to mutually part ways several months ago. Therefore, we have already appointed a replacement, who has been working with manager Graham Alexander on summer business. His appointment will be announced shortly.”

Link

He was announced at Northampton the same day.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't know anything about backroom staff (and to be totally honest, it's an aspect of football that I don't want to have to care about) - but the interesting thing for me is that we've gone from Alexander, who was an archetypal English football man to something very close to his Scottish equivalent. Hammy is a creature of our game and a lot of his contacts will naturally come from that - so we might be seeing a lot more familiar faces (Neil Alexander and Stuart Kettlewell may or may not be evidence of that already depending on how much influence he has)