Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 25/10/2022 at 14:54, thisGRAEME said:

See the idea of going down, winning it, bouncing back (even if it took a year or two) and generally having a good laugh? Great!

See the idea of going down and ending up... Falkirk, Dunfermline Athletic, Partick Thistle, all clubs of a similar standing to ourselves who have spent significant time jobbing away there, and ending up in the Seaside leagues, traipsing to fucking... Peterhead or Alloa or dealing with tinpot no-marks like Cove and FC Edinburgh, and still not actually winning games? Having to play fucking Morton 4 times a season?

I'd rather not, tbh. It's also about the last thing I've got to hang on to arguing with strangers on the internet as well.

I like your optimism that it'd only be four if we shared a division, as if we'd stop having a cup tie at Fir Park every fucking season.

44 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Joe out till the new year, Moult hopefully back in the next week or so and Aarons is away back down south. 

So it looks like we’re going largely with what we’ve got till January.  

What was the deal with Aaron’s. Did we sign him on a season long loan. If so I assume we are still picking up a portion of his wages until things are resolved if they ever are. Either that or we had the sense to include a clause relating to potential injuries. Unlikely but I do believe we have one with Louis which means he can return south during winter break if it is / was not working out. 

Edited by welldaft

8 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What was the deal with Aaron’s. Did we sign him on a season long loan. If so I assume we are still picking up a portion of his wages until things are resolved if they ever are. Either that or we had the sense to include a clause relating to potential injuries. Unlikely but I do believe we have one with Louis which means he can return south during winter break if it is / was not working out. 

Could be a tough call to be made on this one in January if he isn’t showing anything by then. Burrows would be as well just deleting his Twitter if we decide to hand him back. 

Aarons and Moult were probably a better calibre of player on paper than Hammell would've been able to bring in otherwise. Their injury record and past affinity with the club probably put them in our direction.

It was obviously a big gamble, which has backfired. I know that report says a week to ten days for Moult, but I doubt either will now make an impact in their loan spells.

I guess the other option may be to sign average jobbers instead of them and wondering which of the average jobbers deserved to be in the team most, like last season.

Other than that, since Hammell took over we are probably roughly where we were numbers wise. McKinstry has come in with Efford now out long-term and Penney has came in for Carroll's injury, which both are probably an upgrade in quality fortunately.

48 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aarons and Moult were probably a better calibre of player on paper than Hammell would've been able to bring in otherwise. Their injury record and past affinity with the club probably put them in our direction.

It was obviously a big gamble, which has backfired. I know that report says a week to ten days for Moult, but I doubt either will now make an impact in their loan spells.

I guess the other option may be to sign average jobbers instead of them and wondering which of the average jobbers deserved to be in the team most, like last season.

Other than that, since Hammell took over we are probably roughly where we were numbers wise. McKinstry has come in with Efford now out long-term and Penney has came in for Carroll's injury, which both are probably an upgrade in quality fortunately.

If you read the local press report from Hammell's presser I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about Moult. "Not as injured as the other guy" still isn't entirely reassuring tbh.

“Louis, it has been a frustrating one, especially to be short at the top end of the pitch.

“He had a small procedure during the week but hopefully Louis is not going to be the kind of level that Joe is, in terms of time-frame.

“Louis has been a miss for us. He was brought in for us on the understanding that obviously he can’t play 90 minutes for us every week, and play 50 games a season.

“Ideally we would have liked that to have been more, we were bleeding him in, he was getting to a good level and then to have a set-back just now is disappointing, but that seems to be the way it’s going just now.

“Hopefully we can see him back on the pitch soon, and he can start making an impact on a match-day.”

Hammell added: “It’s not a knee injury. If you compare it to Joe’s injury it’s not as serious as that, but it is something that has stopped him from contributing on a daily basis and on a match-day.

“Hopefully the procedure he has had done will help and he’ll be able to contribute and get back to us seeing him on a match-day. That’s what we want.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So that's our injury situation for the first team as follows:

Carroll (season)
Efford (4 months)
Aarons - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
McGinley - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Moult - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From a 24 man first team squad we've 21 outfield players of whom only 16 are available.

giphy.gif

I hope you've all learned a valuable lesson about trusting "Graham"s.