Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Caught up now on here and the match thread and amidst all the chat about KVV's usual miss of a sitter and VAR and Lamie spectacularly managing to dive in front of the Aberdeen boy and take his own shirt off in the process... I feel the real issue has been missed.

Anyone here get a chance to try the new pie? Is there one new pie or two? Was it/were they any decent?

20 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I've been concerned since... either Busta or Desp described the kit as a kit we'd get relegated in and I agree tbqhwy.

The fact we actually got relegated in it last time (at least I think so?) should have been enough to rule it out.

Going down wouldn't bother me nearly as much as it would previously tbh but the season of relegation itself would obviously be completely miserable.

42 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

41653A29-6254-4ACF-A2FA-AAC21AA977EC.thumb.jpeg.b24d75659a6cbe8c713802de204aab98.jpeg

I really hope that's just one giant pie. Like getting a chips, cheese & donner in a pie crust.

Everyone moaning about results and relegation and no mention of important stuff like a donner meat pie??? That sounds tremendous.

On 25/10/2022 at 15:03, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If folk hate losing our best players to English League One right now, it'll be some fucking laugh when anyone who has a good 6 months for us in the Championship is off to St Mirren or Livi for 50k.

Will never forget Falkirk's utter meltdown at losing Sibbald to us for a similar fee. Genuinely hilarious. I can imagine it'd be something along those lines

Dropped this in the United match thread.

Fwiw our split of games have been:

Home: St Johnstone (L), Livi (W), United (X), Hearts (L), Rangers (L), Aberdeen (L)
Away: St Mirren (W), Aberdeen (W), Killie (L), Celtic (L), County (W), Hibs (L)

1162854251_Screenshot2022-10-26at19_39_15.png.08418ea6e842aeac777306dff6a01335.png

For reference this was how it split out last season.

543505265_Screenshot2022-10-27at11_21_36.thumb.png.0124222382fcac2012df7abe2b09adfb.png

Edited by capt_oats

When I first looked at the fixture list I was pleased we had an easier start.  This has actually turned out to be a big negative. 

It has meant that from the beginning of September right up until we play St Johnstone on the 12th November the only team we will have played who arguably have a smaller budget would be Ross County.

So almost 2.5 months (9 games) playing league teams with bigger budgets who in theory should beat Motherwell. This includes Celtic, Hearts and United x 2.

Easy to see why we have had a tough time of it recently 🤷‍♂️

There's the games against Hearts and Dundee Utd that our performances and chances merited something.

There's the game against St. Johnstone where you would argue if you equalise in injury time you should manage to see the game out.

There's also the argument that if we are 1-0 up against a newly promoted side with 20 minutes to go, we should take at least something from the game.

However, all of those examples of dropped points are our own undoing. Also, on the contrary, St. Mirren absolutely pumped us 0-1 in the opening game of the season.

Since the Hearts game, none of our results have been shameful. We've beaten the one sided I would have hoped / expected to beat and done so comfortably. The rest of the results in isolation are hardly embarassing or even questionable, but it's a grim run of fixtures.

I think we were bedding in a new manager and a new style (which was of course a great necessity) at a time where due to the run of fixtures, we would wanted to have been banking more points when the teething problems arose.

Had the club had the bravery to part ways with Alexander in May and we'd had all summer (and more than two pre-season friendlies) we may have ironed out those teething issues sooner. 

My main concern is that between now and the World Cup, none of the fixtures are bankers and there's no easy points between now and then. That brings us back after the break on an awful run of form unless we pick up.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Dropped this in the United match thread.

Fwiw our split of games have been:

Home: St Johnstone (L), Livi (W), United (X), Hearts (L), Rangers (L), Aberdeen (L)
Away: St Mirren (W), Aberdeen (W), Killie (L), Celtic (L), County (W), Hibs (L)

1162854251_Screenshot2022-10-26at19_39_15.png.08418ea6e842aeac777306dff6a01335.png

For reference this was how it split out last season.

543505265_Screenshot2022-10-27at11_21_36.thumb.png.0124222382fcac2012df7abe2b09adfb.png

Switch the dugouts back IMO

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

My main concern is that between now and the World Cup, none of the fixtures are bankers and there's no easy points between now and then. That brings us back after the break on an awful run of form unless we pick up.

One of the things that's giving me the fear is that this season the break comes early and outside the window. We have fixtures all through January while the window is open which has the potential to f**k us up IMO.

Previously, under Robinson at least, we always seemed able to use the break to re-set and it coincided with being able to bring in a couple of new players and get them bedded in at a training camp.

8290510-0-image-a-12_1546991932085.jpg

Edited by capt_oats