Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Desp said:

As for Kelly?  I very much doubt we'll see a return on the quite significant (for our standards, anyway) we shelled, and continue to shell, out on him.

I don't know if that showed up in the last accounts as they are always quite far behind by the time of the AGM - but I've never heard how much we actually paid as a transfer fee for Kelly.

7 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Kelly's distribution is fckn woeful.

Aye. Kelly is a good keeper for us but he lacks presence and as you say his distribution is toilet. I would think his ceiling isn’t too much higher than where he is just now with us. Perhaps that’s a little unfair on him.

Edited by Londonwell

27 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Kelly's distribution is fckn woeful.

Aye it really is. The amount of times on Sunday in particular he kicked it straight out for a throw in was ridiculous. He also makes me quite nervous with the amount of time he's seems to take with getting rid of a backpass when the opposition is charging him down which then either goes out for a throw in or it's too short and gives possession straight back to the opposition in our half.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I'd agree with this - of all our "good" keepers over the years, Gillespie was probably the least "showy" - he didn't make many mistakes but wasn't one for big flashy saves either - he tended to rely on decent positioning and made a lot of stuff look easy as a result.

Aye this is basically where I'm at. He didn't make some of the totally ridiculously athletic saves that Kelly and Carson can pull off but was just an incredibly, rock solidly, safe pair of hands. Basically saving half the penalties he faced also ingratiated him to me.

In a direct comparison, Carson probably edges it for me over Kelly (currently) and Gillespie. 

However, what I would say is that we are comparing Carson pitching up to us at age 29 and playing in his peak years vs. Kelly who was 25 when he joined last year.  He's got plenty to improve but Kelly is a superb goalie with his best years well ahead of him. We should definitely enjoy it while he's here - some of the stops he makes are another level. Improvement in kicking and a wee bit more 'presence' would be great.

Edited by eliphas

I think there's definitely a degree of nuance with the 'keepers.

For me peak Carson was better than Gillespie but Gillespie was a far more consistent 'keeper who you'd get a 7 or 8/10 from most weeks. As @Swello says he wasn't a "showy" 'keeper but he was just consistently good.

The post-injury version of Carson definitely clouds folks judgement but when you think back to the period of the 18/19 season just prior to the DVT there were questions being asked. There were points where the ball just seemed to be going through him in a way that they weren't at his peak in 17/18.

However that 17/18 season Carson was superb and regardless of what happened with Celtic it's still wild that he didn't get his move that summer.

As for Kelly he's 3rd behind both of them (and probably 4th or 5th if you bring Randolph or Ruddy into the conversation and that's fine) but as @eliphas says he's also younger than Carson but the same age now as Gillespie was when he signed (26). He's a good goalkeeper for this level and in that respect he's probably been worth the investment regardless of whether we sell him on - the memories of having Samson, Twardzik and the like as starting GKs are still fresh enough that it's easy to appreciate the value of having a reliable goalkeeper.

I get that part of him signing for us from QPR was that we'd platform him and he's obviously been called up for Scotland squads but I'm not sure how helpful the whole "Scotland's future #1" patter is.

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think Kelly's distribution has been really poor of late but unless my memory is playing tricks, he did that really well when he first arrived...

That's my recollection too. When he first came in I thought his distribution and long range accuracy were excellent. It's been absolutely chronic lately though, and the odd wonder save aside, I feel his overall game and presence has waned a little. Certainly still an above average keeper for our level though.

On the discussion around the other recent keepers, he's definitely behind both Carson and Gillespie, and of those two Trev edges it for me. A real shame the way his career has panned out as he was undoubtedly good enough to earn enough dough to see him into a very comfortable retirement. Echoing what others have said, it's great to see him back playing regularly and can only wish him all the best for remaining injury free and enjoying the rest of his playing days.

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm just happy with any keeper that isn't Craig fucking Samson.

That gets a greenie. 

There was a time when literally almost every save he made he seemed to spill for a tap in goal for the opposition. 

I take it all back. Compared to Samson Kelly is Donnarumma 😂

3 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

The amount of times on Sunday in particular he kicked it straight out for a throw in was ridiculous.

If you noticed how bad we are at retaining possession from throw ins, then this may well have been a clever tactic on your part.